Impending FAs

Now that we've got some time to kill before Seattle, check out the FA's for 2019:

Allen Bailey
Demetrius Harris
Dee Ford
Anthony Sherman
Spencer Ware
Orlando Scandrick
Damien Williams
Mitch Morse
Ron Parker
Jordan Devey
DAT
Frank Zombo
Jeff Allen
Charcandrick West
Chris Conley
Steven Nelson
Joran Lucas
Terrance Smith
Marcus Kemp
Harrison Butker

And a few others...  The big names (to me) are coming up in 2020: Hill and Jones. 

That said, there are a LOT of contributors shaking free in 2019.  Who sticks for another contract?  Either way, this team is going to change significantly over the next couple years...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Marleydawg said:

Now that we've got some time to kill before Seattle, check out the FA's for 2019:

Allen Bailey
Demetrius Harris
Dee Ford
Anthony Sherman
Spencer Ware
Orlando Scandrick
Damien Williams
Mitch Morse
Ron Parker
Jordan Devey
DAT
Frank Zombo
Jeff Allen
Charcandrick West
Chris Conley
Steven Nelson
Joran Lucas
Terrance Smith
Marcus Kemp
Harrison Butker

And a few others...  The big names (to me) are coming up in 2020: Hill and Jones. 

That said, there are a LOT of contributors shaking free in 2019.  Who sticks for another contract?  Either way, this team is going to change significantly over the next couple years...

They are all role players on offense so it’s gonna come down to value contracts for any to stay.  Just can let what’s going to be a 28 year old Pro Bowl LB walk so I’m tagging Ford. A few of those guys are RFAs like Butker and Lucas so they will be back.  I’d resign Nelson and make him your slot guy and draft a CB to pair with Fuller outside. 

The biggest issue is a guy not on that list Justin Houston.  We need to get out from underneath a contract that pays a good player elite money.  Do we want to do this now or next offseason when we also almost certainly move on from Berry too.  This is why a new DC would be a great idea right now to have a vision for Veach to try and fill roles for. 

Offense is absolutely stacked again next year but I think I start filling those backup roles with draft picks who haven’t already shown limited upside. 

Ford and Butker will be kept.  

Maybe Nelson for decent CB depth, same with Lucas a S.

I would let Ware walk, re-sign Damian Williams for depth.

They can probably let Mitch Morse go.

I think Chris Conley will be brought back.

You don't want to let too many guys leave, some of them do have value and would be hard to replace every single one except for 2-3 guys you do bring back for sure.

11 minutes ago, the Warparty said:

I would add Damien Williams to you list

I'd bring back DAT on a short deal and Sherman for league min too.

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

They are all role players on offense so it’s gonna come down to value contracts for any to stay.  Just can let what’s going to be a 28 year old Pro Bowl LB walk so I’m tagging Ford. A few of those guys are RFAs like Butker and Lucas so they will be back.  I’d resign Nelson and make him your slot guy and draft a CB to pair with Fuller outside. 

The biggest issue is a guy not on that list Justin Houston.  We need to get out from underneath a contract that pays a good player elite money.  Do we want to do this now or next offseason when we also almost certainly move on from Berry too.  This is why a new DC would be a great idea right now to have a vision for Veach to try and fill roles for. 

Offense is absolutely stacked again next year but I think I start filling those backup roles with draft picks who haven’t already shown limited upside. 

Houston is a guy you get a small cut from today and dump in 2020.

Chiefs will probably have to tag and trade Dee Ford.

5 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I'd bring back DAT on a short deal and Sherman for league min too.

Houston is a guy you get a small cut from today and dump in 2020.

Chiefs will probably have to tag and trade Dee Ford.

How do you get Houston to take a pay cut?  We are going to have to cut him, pay him next season with plan to replace him in 2020 or restructure and keep a declining player long term. At least as I see it. 

I think we let Morse, Bailey, Conley, Harris, Nelson and Scandrick walk.   

We cut Houston, Sorensen, Williams and maybe Ragland too depending on who is still DC.

The money saved on Houston allows us to tag Ford and I think we have roughly 42 million after that.

Take 5 million out for rookie draft, and probably close to 15-17 million to either get Jones or Hill extended this upcoming year which allows about 

20 million in FA depending on how Veach structures it.

With that said Hitchens is on this team for at least 2 more years.  That contract is looking really bad.   

The Watkins contract isn't all that great either,  if we cut him after next year its still a 7 million dollar hit because this year was cheap.

The Oline looks pretty much set with Wylie being someone we should bring back and a center to push Rieter.  

We can potentially get 4 starters out of this draft if you count rounds 1-3  maybe the 5th rounder if we get lucky.

I think we make one big FA purchase and I would make a run at Earl Thomas something like 3/36 with high guarantees.   Probably too low but worth a shot.  

Kareem Hunt really screwed us over badly.   We already had more holes than we could have plugged in one offseason but it would have gone a long way towards solidifying that D but now one of those high picks or a good chunk in FA will be needed to find a back that can compliment this O.   L. Bell is not an option either with so many holes to fill and not a ton of money to spend.   

I'd like to franchise Ford a year and see if he plays through pain again. See if Houston and Berry will restructure second. Butker at a reasonable rate as he's been less consistent this year. Morse is a head injury away from being done and can go. Williams is worth signing if he continues his play. Lucas and Smith maybe at low rates. Rest can walk.

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

How do you get Houston to take a pay cut?  We are going to have to cut him, pay him next season with plan to replace him in 2020 or restructure and keep a declining player long term. At least as I see it. 

"Hey take less money or we're going to cut you and maybe if you're lucky you can go match your pay playing for Case Keenum and Vance Joseph"

People take less to play for winners and if the Chiefs make the right moves, players are going to be begging to play in KC.

If Harris is brought back and no other TE is signed/drafted, I am going to scream. Also, please no more DAT. Enough with gadget guys and projects.

Ford will probably be tagged. I think someone said Butker is RFA. I could see them giving Conley a simple, affordable contract. Williams may be retained as the backup RB if he proves worthwhile. I’d not be shocked if they tried to keep Morse. Sherman must be liked on special teams, because he rarely sees the field in a shotgun offense. 

They really need to try to keep the current offense intact, replacing Harris and Hunt and maybe center/guard. Dump literally everyone on that list on defense save Ford.

17 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

"Hey take less money or we're going to cut you and maybe if you're lucky you can go match your pay playing for Case Keenum and Vance Joseph"

People take less to play for winners and if the Chiefs make the right moves, players are going to be begging to play in KC.

Worth a try but not likely to happen. And we don’t want to lower his CAP value with more guaranteed money spread out long term either.  But he’s probably our third best defender right now being paid like he’s a top 3-5 defensive player in the league. 

25 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

If Harris is brought back and no other TE is signed/drafted, I am going to scream. Also, please no more DAT. Enough with gadget guys and projects.

Ford will probably be tagged. I think someone said Butker is RFA. I could see them giving Conley a simple, affordable contract. Williams may be retained as the backup RB if he proves worthwhile. I’d not be shocked if they tried to keep Morse. Sherman must be liked on special teams, because he rarely sees the field in a shotgun offense. 

They really need to try to keep the current offense intact, replacing Harris and Hunt and maybe center/guard. Dump literally everyone on that list on defense save Ford.

Noah Fant might be there end of first round to 2nd. Hockensen if he declared would be sweet in round 2. Either TE is a vast improvement over Harris.

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Butker is an ERFA, so cheap to keep.  

Conley is someone you let walk.

Morse is a goner.

Hard to justify spending a lot for a back up Tight End when you should really be spreading it wide with 4-5 WR sets instead.

Andy loves those multi tight end sets so I doubt he scraps that.  But with banged up or missing WRs, Harris disappeared on Thursday night just as he did in playoff game last year. I’d say he’s playing for his future in possibly the league itself the next three games. We did think we had old man Ben Watson signed last offseason for a reason. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Noah Fant might be there end of first round to 2nd. Hockensen if he declared would be sweet in round 2. Either TE is a vast improvement over Harris.

I don’t think we can afford to draft backup tight end in the first two rounds though. 

24 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I don’t think we can afford to draft backup tight end in the first two rounds though. 

Hell no they cant. Thise first 3 picks HAVE to be defense. Have to. My question is whether or nit they will trust a rookie at FS or if thats one of the areas they spend. 

You know the funny part is we all thought "with 1 more offseason to continue working on defense we should be a SB favorite going into 2019". Now its very clear this defense is such a shitshow that its probably STILL not possible to fix it in 1 offseason.

If they get their heads out of their asses and move Speaks up to replace Bailey then we have 1 capable replacement already in house. Problem is that him and Kpass have both been failed experiments at OLB and Ford is a UFA, and Houston is a good player getting paid like an elite one. So now we have no real depth there.

We have 2 solid CBs with 1 being an UFA in Nelson with an absolute pile of horse shit for depth behind them. 

We have a good safety being paid like an elite one in Berry. And we have what should be solid depth in Watts and Lucas. Free safety is a huge hole too.

At ILB I am reserving judgement. I KNOW Hitchens didnt forget how to play football in 1 offseason and have seen with my own eyes that he is being coached to read and react instead of playing downhill where he thrives.

Its too much to fix in 1 offseason unless they dedicate nearly every dollar and pick they have to defense.

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Hell no they cant. Thise first 3 picks HAVE to be defense. Have to. My question is whether or nit they will trust a rookie at FS or if thats one of the areas they spend. 

You know the funny part is we all thought "with 1 more offseason to continue working on defense we should be a SB favorite going into 2019". Now its very clear this defense is such a shitshow that its probably STILL not possible to fix it in 1 offseason.

If they get their heads out of their asses and move Speaks up to replace Bailey then we have 1 capable replacement already in house. Problem is that him and Kpass have both been failed experiments at OLB and Ford is a UFA, and Houston is a good player getting paid like an elite one. So now we have no real depth there.

We have 2 solid CBs with 1 being an UFA in Nelson with an absolute pile of horse shit for depth behind them. 

We have a good safety being paid like an elite one in Berry. And we have what should be solid depth in Watts and Lucas. Free safety is a huge hole too.

At ILB I am reserving judgement. I KNOW Hitchens didnt forget how to play football in 1 offseason and have seen with my own eyes that he is being coached to read and react instead of playing downhill where he thrives.

Its too much to fix in 1 offseason unless they dedicate nearly every dollar and pick they have to defense.

Keep in mind we don't need this defense to be fixed with the returning loaded offense. We just need it to take a legit step forward which is VERY doable with three top 50ish picks and a free agent. We've got some legit talent at each level of the defense to build around including an emerging star on the dline. We just cannot have the incompetent play of so many guys around them. Because NFL teams know how to pick weak links apart especially when we've proven over the course of the season we can't even make simple switches on pick plays. We don't need stars, we just need competent guys who can tackle in about 3 spots where this year we are getting anything but. IE: We don't need balance, we just need to be more balanced. 

35 minutes ago, DieHard said:

That is a huge list. Quite a few starters on that list that should be backups.Ware is a stud but health is an issue.Morse is solid but health. The rest are just depth.

Andy's offenses are at their best with a versatile explosive RB. I'd look in the round 3 area again for a good fit and then only resign Ware if he's willing to do a very club friendly deal. Seems like our offense did just fine minus Morse so same thing with him. How long do we have to wait for guys like Conley and Robinson to actually emerge as potential future starters? Conley is a luxury at this point but he may be cheap with so little production. IE: Veach needs to play hard ball with these types. And at the same time get our young stars Hill and Jones locked up. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Keep in mind we don't need this defense to be fixed with the returning loaded offense. We just need it to take a legit step forward which is VERY doable with three top 50ish picks and a free agent. We've got some legit talent at each level of the defense to build around including an emerging star on the dline. We just cannot have the incompetent play of so many guys around them. Because NFL teams know how to pick weak links apart especially when we've proven over the course of the season we can't even make simple switches on pick plays. We don't need stars, we just need competent guys who can tackle in about 3 spots where this year we are getting anything but. IE: We don't need balance, we just need to be more balanced. 

This is a good point. We really do just need them to play complimentary football. Sad to think that watching a mediocre defense would be exciting at this point. 

Blown coverages 14 weeks into the season with the game, division, and home field advantage on the line? Seriously? 

Archived