Impending FAs

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think if we can get Earl Thomas for 3 years without breaking the bank which might be impossible.   Between him, Berry and Watts we could mask a lot of secondary deficiencies like some rookie starting dbs.   

Theres several good free agent free safeties. Haha, Landon Collins, Lemarcus Joyner, Tyronn Mathieu...

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Andy loves those multi tight end sets so I doubt he scraps that.  But with banged up or missing WRs, Harris disappeared on Thursday night just as he did in playoff game last year. I’d say he’s playing for his future in possibly the league itself the next three games. We did think we had old man Ben Watson signed last offseason for a reason. 

If they can upgrade from Harris without spending significant resources right now, sounds great.

31 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I want to see what Watts and Lucas can do, with some non dumbassery leadership.

Watts was damn good in college. I thought he was a steal in rd 4. You think they might actually give him a chance to win that job next year? Im expecting an investment there with an early rd pick or a nice free agent. Really sucks that he got hurt.

34 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Watts was damn good in college. I thought he was a steal in rd 4. You think they might actually give him a chance to win that job next year? Im expecting an investment there with an early rd pick or a nice free agent. Really sucks that he got hurt.

I think they just have too many holes to realistically fill in one offseason.  They gonna have to figure out how to get the most of what they've got in a few spots.

ILB and S stick out to me.  S isn't too hard of a spot to find adequate players so I really struggle to justify tying up 25m a year in just that position.

I'd rather work around and land some key cogs than settle for more Tanoh's and Steven Nelson's.

11 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I don’t think we can afford to draft backup tight end in the first two rounds though. 

We use a lot of 2 TE sets and having one of these 2 would really create mismatches too. Imagine a speedier and more reliable Harris that can also block well, like a Geoege Kittle type

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Theres several good free agent free safeties. Haha, Landon Collins, Lemarcus Joyner, Tyronn Mathieu...

if the coaching is still crappy then it won't matter, we could have deon sanders back back there and sutton, harris and thomas would still have a shit gameplan

Ford: Tag & trade for a 1st + whatever

Sherman: Extend if they want a FB in the mix

Damien Williams: GIve him a cheap extension

Ware: GIve him a very lame deal unless the staff is happy with the WIlliams'

Nelson: Extend if he's willing to sign for like 5 per year

Lucas: Tender for mid round pick

Terrance Smith: Give a minimum extension

Butker: I would extend him but still have a few doubts.

Let all the rest walk so we can sign some decent guys.

6 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Any of them would be a huge help back there with Berry.    Collins is great but a clone of Berry, I think we need a better coverage guy.  And I think he will break the bank because of his age and talent.   Tyrann is having a very mediocre year so maybe we could get something done there for a reasonable contract.    Haha concerns me a little but would be a huge upgrade over what we got.  

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

We use a lot of 2 TE sets and having one of these 2 would really create mismatches too. Imagine a speedier and more reliable Harris that can also block well, like a Geoege Kittle type

Problem is that’s a luxury when we have some real pressing needs on defense. And we need another RB on offense.  

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Any of them would be a huge help back there with Berry.    Collins is great but a clone of Berry, I think we need a better coverage guy.  And I think he will break the bank because of his age and talent.   Tyrann is having a very mediocre year so maybe we could get something done there for a reasonable contract.    Haha concerns me a little but would be a huge upgrade over what we got.  

Berry is not to be counted on No way. Guy is always day to day and one play from out. Chiefs need to treat his contract like a huge waste bench player. Entire secondary and 2 linebackers are needed. Draft talent and play it. Sign a couple really good free agents.  Only Ford Jones and Houston , at a restructured deal,are worth keeping. The rest are crap.

Note: Robinson and Conley are crap. Had their chance to prove something and proved they can not get open. Watkins and Berry room together and are both day to day unavailable. Chiefs need another receiver. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Problem is that’s a luxury when we have some real pressing needs on defense. And we need another RB on offense.  

Won’t be popular, but for this reason I say resign Harris.  He’s not gonna command big money, knows the offense, and does ok as the 7th or so option in the offense.  He pisses me off at times, but we have enough other holes without creating more. 

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

The money part sucks but at this point I feel like we need to operate as if Berry doesn’t exist and his contract is just dead money.  He misses so much time because of injuries he’s an absolute non factor.  If they really want him around they should try some injury settlement and hire him on asa coach, because that’s pretty much all he does now. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

Won’t be popular, but for this reason I say resign Harris.  He’s not gonna command big money, knows the offense, and does ok as the 7th or so option in the offense.  He pisses me off at times, but we have enough other holes without creating more. 

I think we could potentially resign him to a contract without much guaranteed money and then draft a guy late and let him compete. I'd rather keep drafting WRs though. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

The money part sucks but at this point I feel like we need to operate as if Berry doesn’t exist and his contract is just dead money.  He misses so much time because of injuries he’s an absolute non factor.  If they really want him around they should try some injury settlement and hire him on asa coach, because that’s pretty much all he does now. 

You are completely right.  Thats the reason I think we make a legitimate attempt to nab Earl Thomas.   If we have them both great if not we have him and Watts and probably a 5th round pick we can rotate in or a vet on a one year prove it deal.    

17 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think if we can get Earl Thomas for 3 years without breaking the bank which might be impossible.   Between him, Berry and Watts we could mask a lot of secondary deficiencies like some rookie starting dbs.   

I think the only way we did something like this was if we released Houston and resigned Dee Ford.  That would potentially free up the possibility of drafting Houstons replacement or signing a younger cheaper OLB we think might fit. 

20 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I think the only way we did something like this was if we released Houston and resigned Dee Ford.  That would potentially free up the possibility of drafting Houstons replacement or signing a younger cheaper OLB we think might fit. 

Any chance we move to a 4-3?    I know we've talked about that before in here but if you look at the past couple drafts you could make the case they were preparing for it.   Kpass and Speaks would do better as a 4-3 end and Dorian O would fit nicely as a 4-3 LB along with Hitchens.   I guess the only question is do you roll with Hitchens, Rags, DOD ? Or do you play Hitchens at MLB in a 4-3.    Probably right though about Ford.    I will say that the contracts and the way they are worked out won't do Veach any favors if they don't start producing.    Hitchens we are stuck with for 2 more years as that thing is back loaded and same for Watkins.  We didn't pay them anything this year.

41 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Any chance we move to a 4-3?    I know we've talked about that before in here but if you look at the past couple drafts you could make the case they were preparing for it.   Kpass and Speaks would do better as a 4-3 end and Dorian O would fit nicely as a 4-3 LB along with Hitchens.   I guess the only question is do you roll with Hitchens, Rags, DOD ? Or do you play Hitchens at MLB in a 4-3.    Probably right though about Ford.    I will say that the contracts and the way they are worked out won't do Veach any favors if they don't start producing.    Hitchens we are stuck with for 2 more years as that thing is back loaded and same for Watkins.  We didn't pay them anything this year.

No way. Hitchens and Ragland Completely Suck. I doubt they could make another NFL roster. Veach missed on this. Have to question his ability to evaluate talent.

29 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

No way. Hitchens and Ragland Completely Suck. I doubt they could make another NFL roster. Veach missed on this. Have to question his ability to evaluate talent.

You do realize he was the one force feeding Andy Reid about Pat Mahomes.  So he missed on an ILB or 2.   He hit a grand slam walk off game 7 hr with Mahomes.    And as much as Hitchens has sucked,  he didn't suck in Dallas and they don't run a 3-4 complicated D like we do.   

16 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Wow. Hitchens is playing out of position imo

Move him to Raglands spot. Keep Ragland as depth and draft another ILB

To say he sucks since coming here is fine but he was great with Dallas. The known factor is Sutton and why we need to move on from him. He does not adjust to the players at all.

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

You are completely right.  Thats the reason I think we make a legitimate attempt to nab Earl Thomas.   If we have them both great if not we have him and Watts and probably a 5th round pick we can rotate in or a vet on a one year prove it deal.    

A dB coming off of a broken leg scares the hell out of me.  

15 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Wow. Hitchens us plating out of position imo

Move hi. To Raglands spot. Keep Ragland as depth and draft another ILB

To say he sucks since coming here us fine but he was great with Dallas. The known factor is Sutton and why we need to move on from him. He does not adjust to the players at all.

Yeah this is ignorant. He clearly didnt watch Hitchens play at all in Dallas or he would have seen why the Chiefs were excited about getting him. He started over 50 games in Dallas and was a damn good player.

Reid has been working with Veach in some capacity for a very long time. He was groomed under Dorsey and his name was already making its way around in NFL circles as a future GM. 

Questioning a GMs ability to evaluate talent based off 1 offseason and 1 season (in which we are 11-3) is foolheardy at best. You need 3 years to really evaluate how a draft has turned out.

They made a huge mistake by retaining Sutton and this defensive staff. They wont make that mistake again. I can damn near guarantee it.

Sutton and players like Parker, Sorenson, Scandrick and Ragland are the downfall of the defense.

Sure, there's probably a few others we can replace but the fact that the above players can't get the job done, YET keep getting put on the field are whey we need to move on from Sutton and turnover 5-8 players on defense.

Archived