Impending FAs

10 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Bowles, John Fox. If we switched Del Rio is available. Spags. I honestly havent researched list of up and coming position coaches. Spitballing a bit here.

With this team being where it is, I think Reid will want someone with experience and who commands players respect to run his defense so he can continue focusing on the offense himself.

If Bowles and Ron Rivera get fired, they're my top 2 candidates.  If Rivera gets fired though I'm sure he will be in line for HC spots, just have to see.

I would be happy with Bowles as well.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, dksww said:

If Bowles and Ron Rivera get fired, they're my top 2 candidates.  If Rivera gets fired though I'm sure he will be in line for HC spots, just have to see.

I would be happy with Bowles as well.

Didnt even think about Riverboat Ron. Another guy with strong ties. I think they will give him another year. He has a record 15 games above .500 there and they've made the playoffs in 4 of 8 yrs, including a SB appearance. But Bowles...he's done in NY.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Bowles is my first choice if we stay in a 34. And the connection makes a lot of sense. Spags would be great if we switched to an even front. Plus he is the anti Sutton. Dude is extremely vocal, and involved on the sideline and blitzes the shit out of the QB. And has the ties. 

My heart wants them to switch to a 43. I think a move to DE for Speaks, a move to Will for DOD, and a move to SAM for Hitchens could maximize the skillsets of all. But we would essentially be moving to a defense where Dee Ford was a situational pass rusher. I cant see them franchising a guy that only plays on obvious passing downs. Houston is stout enough against the run to make the switch, but he has that ridiculous cap number.

My head tells me staying in a 34 makes the most sense. With a DC who has the sense to utilize our ILBs strengths instead of magnifying their weaknesses. We have a hell of a pass rush and the money to keep it intact for another season if they choose. Then cut Houston after NEXT season when his dead cap number is only 1 million dollars. Plus would they really want to ask Chris Jones to make a position change when he has become an elite player?

Ill tell you what Mikey...unless this season ends with a Lombardi in KC, every single  day Sutton is employed here after our season ends is gonna fucking infuriate me. 

You know I defend Bob Sutton when I see obvious talent defiencies that I don’t think anyone could work with.  Not so much because I like Sutton (I don’t), but because it’s fools gold to think that one change truly upgrades us enough to make a difference. 

But fact of the matter is we have to real impact OLBs vs pass in a passing league. And two solid corners.  And a dominant defensive end. That should be enough with a good scheme to be a decent defense. And we just aren’t that. Sutton has to go. There’s just no doubt about it. That move alone should elevate some other roster spots to acceptable levels which combined with this draft and maybe one or two tactical signings into a defense which can put us over the top next year.  

And im even fine as you say if new DC wants to clean house a little too.  But that move has to happen.  And honestly that almost alone would invigorate and create great optimism in the fan base we are doing everything possible to win Lombardi.  

Andy is stubborn as most successful coaches are. But he’s gotta recognize this and if not Clark Hunt needs to make him recognize it.  

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Didnt even think about Riverboat Ron. Another guy with strong ties. I think they will give him another year. He has a record 15 games above .500 there and they've made the playoffs in 4 of 8 yrs, including a SB appearance. But Bowles...he's done in NY.

My thoughts exactly. 

47 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Didn't know Rivera was on the hot seat. Not sure if he'll be up for a HC gig but definitely worth a look if he's on the block.

There’s franchises out there that would love to have Rivera in my opinion. Especially those 10-12 franchises that can’t even string two winning seasons together.  

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Bowles is my first choice if we stay in a 34. And the connection makes a lot of sense. Spags would be great if we switched to an even front. Plus he is the anti Sutton. Dude is extremely vocal, and involved on the sideline and blitzes the shit out of the QB. And has the ties. 

My heart wants them to switch to a 43. I think a move to DE for Speaks, a move to Will for DOD, and a move to SAM for Hitchens could maximize the skillsets of all. But we would essentially be moving to a defense where Dee Ford was a situational pass rusher. I cant see them franchising a guy that only plays on obvious passing downs. Houston is stout enough against the run to make the switch, but he has that ridiculous cap number.

My head tells me staying in a 34 makes the most sense. With a DC who has the sense to utilize our ILBs strengths instead of magnifying their weaknesses. We have a hell of a pass rush and the money to keep it intact for another season if they choose. Then cut Houston after NEXT season when his dead cap number is only 1 million dollars. Plus would they really want to ask Chris Jones to make a position change when he has become an elite player?

Ill tell you what Mikey...unless this season ends with a Lombardi in KC, every single  day Sutton is employed here after our season ends is gonna fucking infuriate me. 

I'd like to see us move to an even man front.  I don't think we are far from it with our personnel either.  A good LB in the draft would be our biggest needs. 

I think Ford could succeed as a DE still. He has improved against the run.  I'm not saying he is a run stopping DE, but would be serviceable.  Plus a guy like Kpass would be a good rotational guy with him.  I would look to draft a Houston replacement in the future with a 3rd or 4th round pick.  Unless kpass really shows out in the 4 man front. 

I think speaks becomes a stud inside pass rusher and bulks up a little too help in the run. But him and Jones inside would be formidable as a duo. Nnandi and Hamilton are good run stuffers to rotate inside and get reps on first down. 

LE- Houston,  Kpass

DT- Nnandi, Hamilton

DT- Jones,  Speaks

DE- Ford,  DRAFT PICK

SLB- Neimann, Terrance Smith

MLB- Hutchinson

WLB- Odaniel 

7 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I'd like to see us move to an even man front.  I don't think we are far from it with our personnel either.  A good LB in the draft would be our biggest needs. 

I think Ford could succeed as a DE still. He has improved against the run.  I'm not saying he is a run stopping DE, but would be serviceable.  Plus a guy like Kpass would be a good rotational guy with him.  I would look to draft a Houston replacement in the future with a 3rd or 4th round pick.  Unless kpass really shows out in the 4 man front. 

I think speaks becomes a stud inside pass rusher and bulks up a little too help in the run. But him and Jones inside would be formidable as a duo. Nnandi and Hamilton are good run stuffers to rotate inside and get reps on first down. 

LE- Houston,  Kpass

DT- Nnandi, Hamilton

DT- Jones,  Speaks

DE- Ford,  DRAFT PICK

MLB- Hutchinson

WLB- Odaniel 

Your list includes a lot of the current suspects and guys that are not playing now: which implies they are not good enough. Nnadi , Hamilton, Speaks, Neiman, Hutchinson,are simply not that good or worse. These guys have Cancer called SUTTONITIS. You have to cut it out or it keeps coming back. They need to move on before they transfer that illness to newcomers. Bottom line: They have mastered failure.

What about Mike Nolan or Dom Capers as DC?   I'm not sure about Bowles. He had a solid year in AZ as DC but the other was a mix. I guess all these guys  have shortcomings. The good thing about Bowles is he's younger and could be around awhile if he's successful, but he also could get picked up as a HC again. 

4 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Your list includes a lot of the current suspects and guys that are not playing now: which implies they are not good enough. Nnadi , Hamilton, Speaks, Neiman, Hutchinson,are simply not that good or worse. These guys have Cancer called SUTTONITIS. You have to cut it out or it keeps coming back. They need to move on before they transfer that illness to newcomers. Bottom line: They have mastered failure.

You're right let's cut all 20 something defensive guys and bring in a whole new bunch.  Great idea! I hope Reid thinks of this

5 hours ago, FANATIC said:

That’s just silly to suggest you dump every rookie, many of which were mid or late round picks. By this logic you would have dumped 4 time Pro Bowler Neil Smith in 1988 and called it Frank Ganszitis.  

On 12/15/2018 at 10:22 AM, Marleydawg said:

Now that we've got some time to kill before Seattle, check out the FA's for 2019:

Allen Bailey-GO
Demetrius Harris-GO
Dee Ford-Franchise
Anthony Sherman-Keep at the right price
Spencer Ware-GO
Orlando Scandrick-GO
Damien Williams-Keep
Mitch Morse-Keep
Ron Parker-GO
Jordan Devey-GO
DAT-GO
Frank Zombo-GO
Jeff Allen-GO
Charcandrick West-GO
Chris Conley-KEEP
Steven Nelson-KEEP
Joran Lucas-KEEP
Terrance Smith-GO
Marcus Kemp-GO
Harrison Butker-KEEP

And a few others...  The big names (to me) are coming up in 2020: Hill and Jones. 

That said, there are a LOT of contributors shaking free in 2019.  Who sticks for another contract?  Either way, this team is going to change significantly over the next couple years...

My 2 cents worth.

6 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Dude Speaks would obviously get more playing time if Ford walks or Houston is cut. Nnadi is already a starter. ODaniel will play more and more and Hitchens isnt going anywhere.

Nieman is a bum, I have no idea why he was included in this depth chart. 

The point is that we have the personnel to make a switch and some of these guys might even shine in a 43.

11 hours ago, Palangi said:

LE- Houston,  Kpass

DT- Nnandi, Hamilton

DT- Jones,  Speaks

DE- Ford,  DRAFT PICK

MLB- Hutchinson

WLB- Odaniel 

Assuming you mean Hitchens at MLB I doubt this is a winning LB group. We would need at least 1 high profile OLB to make the switch making it our #1 need in the draft and I wouldn't rule out a need at DT next to Jones.

IMO scheme change requires a defensive rebuild but it might be the only smart way to go if we actually keep Ford around. Can't pay him big money only to watch him suck at 3-4. We already have a young group that all have college level 4-3 experience so we could salvage a couple names from the bunch. However the entire assumption relies on Jones making the switch nicely, which seems much less of an issue. 

On 12/19/2018 at 3:52 AM, sith13 said:

Assuming you mean Hitchens at MLB I doubt this is a winning LB group. We would need at least 1 high profile OLB to make the switch making it our #1 need in the draft and I wouldn't rule out a need at DT next to Jones.

IMO scheme change requires a defensive rebuild but it might be the only smart way to go if we actually keep Ford around. Can't pay him big money only to watch him suck at 3-4. We already have a young group that all have college level 4-3 experience so we could salvage a couple names from the bunch. However the entire assumption relies on Jones making the switch nicely, which seems much less of an issue. 

I agree about the LB. That's why I said it as well in my first paragraph. 

On 12/19/2018 at 2:52 AM, sith13 said:

Sith why are you so unwilling to accept the fact that Ford has turned the corner. He has become an impact player. Even his run defense has improved.

Furthermore, if he is still as 1 dimensional as you say, how could a switch to a 43 help him in any way? As a DE in a 43 he would have even more responsibility against the run.

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Sith why are you so unwilling to accept the fact that Ford has turned the corner. He has become an impact player. Even his run defense has improved.

Furthermore, if he is still as 1 dimensional as you say, how could a switch to a 43 help him in any way? As a DE in a 43 he would have even more responsibility against the run.

Ford grades out between DeMarcus Lawrence and Von Miller as the 6th best OLB in the NFL this season and gets the Chiefs second highest grade period behind only Patrick Mahomes. And he grades out as the absolute best pass rusher in the NFL.  He's turned the corner big time. Good thing Veach picked up his option and didn't just let him walk like some people wanted us too last offseason. That said it's his back issue that leads me to want to tag him over signing him long term. This one's tricky going forward. 

Archived