Impending FAs

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

That has always been the talk about Reid. He's an offensive genius that turns QBs to gold. Most of the time that's enough to get a playoff spot as we have seen over the years by various teams and coaches. In such a scenario Reid isn't really a complete HC as we are used to so he needs to delegate better on the defensive side, which means finding a guy that's more than a regular DC but someone who can run the whole defense without much help from the HC. Looking as his career and loyalty if I were the owner I wouldn't allow Reid to pick the DC or appoint coaches under him. He could and should comment on the candidates but that's it. 

This is the kind of control freak that Al Davis was. And Scott Pioli if you remember.

The idea that a HC with 19 yrs experience, nearly 200 wins, soon to be 9 division titles, and 14 playoff berths isnt going to pick his own staff is so ridiculous I dont even know where to start.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sith13 said:

That has always been the talk about Reid. He's an offensive genius that turns QBs to gold. Most of the time that's enough to get a playoff spot as we have seen over the years by various teams and coaches. In such a scenario Reid isn't really a complete HC as we are used to so he needs to delegate better on the defensive side, which means finding a guy that's more than a regular DC but someone who can run the whole defense without much help from the HC. Looking as his career and loyalty if I were the owner I wouldn't allow Reid to pick the DC or appoint coaches under him. He could and should comment on the candidates but that's it. 

That’s nuts!  There’s not a coach on the planet worth his salt at all who would take a job where he didn’t get to pick his assistants.  Furthermore Andy has one of the deepest if not the deepest coaching tree in the NFL right now.  Despite some duds that are going to happen it’s a MAJOR strength of Reid. Seriously this is just silly   

25 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This is the kind of control freak that Al Davis was. And Scott Pioli if you remember.

The idea that a HC with 19 yrs experience, nearly 200 wins, soon to be 9 division titles, and 14 playoff berths isnt going to pick his own staff is so ridiculous I dont even know where to start.

Not to mention reality Andy’s assistants are the most demand in football.  He hires a lot of good people and doesn’t over micromanage which let’s then grow as coaches. And it’s a reason good young coaches want to play for him.  

OF COURSE there’s gonna be duds in there. Just as a great GM drafts duds too.

The best thing Clark can do is create accountability with the two guys who report to him. Hey Brett you told me this big Hitchens signing was gonna help our run D.  Hey Andy you warned me the D was a work in progress, but also promised me some real progress. I need to know what your going to do about it.  “That’s how we roll” is fine for the media.  But not behind closed doors with Clark. I think Clark can actually help Andy get to the promise land by doing this. Give him an excuse to go to a coach like Sutton and say it’s you or me kid if we don’t improve this year. 

19 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

That’s nuts!  There’s not a coach on the planet worth his salt at all who would take a job where he didn’t get to pick his assistants.  Furthermore Andy has one of the deepest if not the deepest coaching tree in the NFL right now.  Despite some duds that are going to happen it’s a MAJOR strength of Reid. Seriously this is just silly   

Yep

That would also probably create a struggle within the coaches as well probably losing some respect with the players. 

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Realities don't agree with that approach. Reid is definitely one of the worst HCs I've seen in terms of picking defensive staff. He can run a very good offense with scrap from all over but definitely can't handle the defensive side of the ball. What we need (as well as Reid) is a DC that's just one step below a HC who can bring good positional coaches as well. 

I no longer can trust a guy who keeps Sutton around as well as most of these position coaches to actually make right decisions on defense. I cannot understand how Hunt puts up with this. At this point Reid seems like a control freak like Pioli or Davis. 

On 12/24/2018 at 1:00 PM, sith13 said:

Realities don't agree with that approach. Reid is definitely one of the worst HCs I've seen in terms of picking defensive staff. He can run a very good offense with scrap from all over but definitely can't handle the defensive side of the ball. What we need (as well as Reid) is a DC that's just one step below a HC who can bring good positional coaches as well. 

I no longer can trust a guy who keeps Sutton around as well as most of these position coaches to actually make right decisions on defense. I cannot understand how Hunt puts up with this. At this point Reid seems like a control freak like Pioli or Davis. 

you might research his time with the Eagles and their defenses.. your reality is comical at best delusional at worst

On 12/24/2018 at 9:43 AM, Mloe68 said:

Not to mention reality Andy’s assistants are the most demand in football.  He hires a lot of good people and doesn’t over micromanage which let’s then grow as coaches. And it’s a reason good young coaches want to play for him.  

OF COURSE there’s gonna be duds in there. Just as a great GM drafts duds too.

The best thing Clark can do is create accountability with the two guys who report to him. Hey Brett you told me this big Hitchens signing was gonna help our run D.  Hey Andy you warned me the D was a work in progress, but also promised me some real progress. I need to know what your going to do about it.  “That’s how we roll” is fine for the media.  But not behind closed doors with Clark. I think Clark can actually help Andy get to the promise land by doing this. Give him an excuse to go to a coach like Sutton and say it’s you or me kid if we don’t improve this year. 

I feel Andy should have been having the “it’s you or me if we don’t make progress” conversation in 2018 after the upset loss to the Titans.  Sutton’s defense has been a dumpster fire this year. With some of the defensive talent we have there’s no excuse for Sutton this year.

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

I was about to say Jim Johnson was one of the best defensive coordinators ever

And had Spagnuolo, Rivera, and McDermott all on staff under Jimmy Johnson who became or are currently head coaches. Every one of them got an opportunity under Reid that led to that. 

Hes been overly loyal to Sutton. That will end this offseason. But the idea that he csnt identify defensive talent in coaches is yet another head scratcher from Sith. 

6 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

And had Spagnuolo, Rivera, and McDermott all on staff under Jimmy Johnson who became or are currently head coaches. Every one of them got an opportunity under Reid that led to that. 

Hes been overly loyal to Sutton. That will end this offseason. But the idea that he csnt identify defensive talent in coaches is yet another head scratcher from Sith. 

I think he can identify talent, but he hangs onto things that just aren't working for too long.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:53 PM, oldtimer said:

you might research his time with the Eagles and their defenses.. your reality is comical at best delusional at worst

I never understood the fascination with Reid's Philly years. It was a good basis to get him hired but no longer relevant. He has been in town for 6 seasons, which should provide us more than enough time to assess his coaching appointments. Philly just means Reid was a great/terrible/whatever HC. The question isn't how he was but how he currently is. May be he had an awesome touch that he lost, who knows? Even when looking at the list @Iluvhouse24 mentioned no KC coaches shows a clear drop in Reid's performance as HC. 

Even though it has been obvious for years Reid's defense just plain sucks. If Reid is ever going to be a great HC for KC he needs to show his capabilities in this offseason. Hopefully he'll come up with a great defensive coaching group, otherwise the reality will remain Reid being a great offensive coach but that's it. 

Archived