Veach should look at what the Rams did

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, artsy said:

I think a big name FA Corner, and draft the best ILB in the 1st round and build around that. But I do agree that a new DC would have the most impact.

You guys notice that Sutton runs the same defensive scheme regardless of the players he has on the field?? In other words, he does not adjust his game-plan to account for the talent he has on the field....He forces players to do things that they can't physically or mentally do.

And his rationale for it is...."We have to stick with the process".

We have to get a FS. One that can really cover ground.

We've been missing that the last 2 yrs. Parkers play has veen one of the more dramatic dropoffs I can remember. He was a really solid FS for a couple yrs. But now...dude.

The Rams defense is 20th overall in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed this year.

Alot of this is schedule driven.

If you look at the top 10 in points allowed, most of the teams are around .500 except for the Saints.

Same with yards allowed. 

57 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Make fun of it but they are rising....look at all the high draft picks that are playing and succeeding.

Gregg has the defense playing well too....

Obviously they are rising.  But I don't think you can give Dorsey all the credit for that.  They have had huge amounts of really high draft picks for a long time, including 5 first rounders in two years with the overall number 1 in back to back years and two top 5 picks this year.   Sooner or later, getting to draft #1 overall is going to result in impact players.  We know what Dorsey is, he's a solid GM that's going to acquire solid players.  But with the cap space, solid nucleus of young players, and draft picks he had to work with, any GM in the NFL would have seen dramatic improvement. 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Veach should be calling/studying Dorsey....

Browns will be formidable next year...

Dorsey is a scout to the core and good at it but there’s a reason we fired him. Browns need to keep him out of contract negotiation, CAP control and media relations and they will be fine.  

35 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Obviously they are rising.  But I don't think you can give Dorsey all the credit for that.  They have had huge amounts of really high draft picks for a long time, including 5 first rounders in two years with the overall number 1 in back to back years and two top 5 picks this year.   Sooner or later, getting to draft #1 overall is going to result in impact players.  We know what Dorsey is, he's a solid GM that's going to acquire solid players.  But with the cap space, solid nucleus of young players, and draft picks he had to work with, any GM in the NFL would have seen dramatic improvement. 

People talk about how good Carl Peterson was with quickly rebuilding Chiefs in 1989. But if you go look at 1988 roster he inherited, it’s formidable.  Marty just coached em up as much as Gansz coached them down.  Who settles in as Browns coach is crucial for them. 

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Make fun of it but they are rising....look at all the high draft picks that are playing and succeeding.

I think they are riding high on a mix of unknowns because teams don't fully get Kitchens yet and the players showing up Hue.  

I want to see what direction Dorsey goes before we start declaring the Browns are back.  A lot of it could get unraveled in a hurry if John goes with Fat Mike, who I expect he will lust for.

Rams’ blockbuster offseason hasn’t paid dividends in 2018

Cameron DaSilva

54 mins ago

Already looking like Super Bowl contenders, the Rams went out and completely revamped their defense. They traded for Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters, dealt away Alec Ogletree and Robert Quinn and let Connor Barwin walk in free agency. To top it all off, they signed the biggest fish in the free agency pond, Ndamukong Suh, to a one-year, $14 million deal.

Their blockbuster offseason wasn't exclusive to the defense, either. Brandin Cooks was acquired for a first-round pick just before the draft, adding yet another weapon to an offense that already featured Todd Gurley, Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp.

In the first three weeks, Les Snead and the Rams looked like geniuses. They allowed 36 total points and took the ball away six times with Peters, Talib and Suh all playing at a high level. Then Week 4 hit and things went awry. Peters and Talib suffered leg injuries, landing the latter on IR. From there, the defense struggled mightily and has yet to regain the form it showed in the early parts of the season.

From Week 4-11, the Rams allowed an NFL-high 246 points - albeit, playing one more game than every team but the Chiefs in that span. Peters' play has fallen off a cliff, grading out as Pro Football Focus' 101st-ranked cornerback, and Suh has almost disappeared since Week 6.

The NBA approach of loading up on superstars for a short term run is far more risky in the NFL. Plus as Andy Reid learned himself these dream teams require actual real chemistry in this sport which is hard to come by when primadonnas refuse to tackle or practice hard. 

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

The Chiefs were really sloppy in that game but they caught us when we were healthy and were basically just overwhelmed by our offense (which hasn't been the same since about then). Theyve got talent and good young QB. Theyve got a chance to be one of the power brokers of the AFC going forward along with the Chiefs and few others if they hire the right coach. That won't happen with Williams though in my opinion.

55 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Add Watkins to that list. 

Watkins is exactly what they knew.  He was brought in to give Pat a fast start, which they accomplished.  Only problem is they had to pay him a stupid contract to lure him away from Dallas.  It was a calculated risk from the get go, but no he was never going to be worth that deal.

The problem with the Rams and Peters is they traded for an off man corner that used his space and help over the top to try and predict what the receiver and QB were trying to do and jump it.

The Rams brought him in, told him to press and said you're not getting anybody high.  

I actually love the idea of trading for Jalen Ramsey.  The guy is only 24 years old and already a top 3 Corner in the NFL.  Plus has a couple more years left on his rookie deal.

YES----He runs his mouth to much

YES----It will cost a crap ton in compensation 

YES-----He will want to be the highest paid CB in the NFL within the next couple of years.

With all of that I'd still say not having a shut down corner is by far our biggest need!  

OH and while we are at it....Lets sign Earl Thomas in the off season too hahaha

Ramsey(24, two years till new contract) and Fuller(23, 1 year left till new contract)

PLUS

Berry and Earl Thomas as our Safeties.

I think that would make for a great secondary for the next couple of years  

Just now, Balto said:

I actually love the idea of trading for Jalen Ramsey.  The guy is only 24 years old and already a top 3 Corner in the NFL.  Plus has a couple more years left on his rookie deal.

YES----He runs his mouth to much

YES----It will cost a crap ton in compensation 

YES-----He will want to be the highest paid CB in the NFL within the next couple of years.

With all of that I'd still say not having a shut down corner is by far our biggest need!  

OH and while we are at it....Lets sign Earl Thomas in the off season too hahaha

Ramsey(24, two years till new contract) and Fuller(23, 1 year left till new contract)

PLUS

Berry and Earl Thomas as our Safeties.

I think that would make for a great secondary for the next couple of years  

Berry is one step away from injury. Most of us worry about that every play and or practice. Its not safe to count on him.

5 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Berry is one step away from injury. Most of us worry about that every play and or practice. Its not safe to count on him.

That's why KC was a day away from trading for Earl Thomas before he broke his leg.....Both Earl and Berry can play FS or SS soooo with adding Earl that would also give you wiggle room IF Berry OR Earl goes down to move people around.

With the exception of a few that have already been named on this thread that need to go, I think that the defense has the talent needed to be a good  defense.  The main problem as I see it is without a doubt the DC.  Sutton needs to go, Like Artsy said, Sutton does not know how to use the talent they already have. So replace the DC with a kick some ass replacement that knows how to use the talent already there and draft and FA replacement for those that need to go. 

I’m ok with some free agency, but not with shedding any picks.  Mahomes is twice the qb that Goff is, and our window is huge.  I’d rather have one more building year with a potential of 3 Super Bowls than trying to hurry up to get just 1. On top of that, I don’t want to get into handing out huge contracts.  Look how crippling the Berry and Houston deals are.  If we weren’t so lucky to have mvp on a rookie deal we would be in a world of shit. Build through the draft and sprinkle in some free agents.  Avoid what the rams did at all costs. 

3 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I’m ok with some free agency, but not with shedding any picks.  Mahomes is twice the qb that Goff is, and our window is huge.  I’d rather have one more building year with a potential of 3 Super Bowls than trying to hurry up to get just 1. On top of that, I don’t want to get into handing out huge contracts.  Look how crippling the Berry and Houston deals are.  If we weren’t so lucky to have mvp on a rookie deal we would be in a world of shit. Build through the draft and sprinkle in some free agents.  Avoid what the rams did at all costs. 

Fantastic spot on post!

10 hours ago, reesebobby said:

You could have said this about Cleveland at any point in the last 10+ years.  Dorsey isn't perfect, but he's been a key part of 2 dramatic franchise U-turns in the last 5 years.  That's not nothing.

The Mayfield pick, especially, was ballsy.  We can act like it was obvious now, but at the moment it was surprising.

11 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

You could have said this about Cleveland at any point in the last 10+ years.  Dorsey isn't perfect, but he's been a key part of 2 dramatic franchise U-turns in the last 5 years.  That's not nothing.

The Mayfield pick, especially, was ballsy.  We can act like it was obvious now, but at the moment it was surprising.

I never said he's nothing.  Actually I said "he's a solid GM that's going to acquire solid players".  And he is and he does.  But you can't ignore the impact that 5 first round draft picks and two number one overall draft picks had on the turnaround.  And they are number 1 on the waiver wire.  The draft and waiver system are designed to help teams that suck get better.  And Baker looks like a solid pick.  Number 1 overall picks generally are.  But if the Dorsey model is one we are to follow, we are first going to have to go 1-31 and set ourselves up with that draft board and waiver wire.  And we are going to have to be cheap as fuck for years so we have huge cap space to work with.  That's not a knock on Dorsey, he does good things.  But any competent GM would have turned that around with the assets available. 

The Chiefs don't have to go all FA or all Draft.  They need to fill a couple of holes and draft for the longer term and for depth.  One safety, one CB and one ILB would do wonders for this team and maybe a couple of those positions could be filled by FAs if they aren't available in the draft.  But the main strength should be through the draft.  A CB and DT plus an O-line, for example.  Maybe someone can play from day one, maybe others take a little time to develop.  What the Chiefs must absolutely do is find coaches who get the max out of the draftees.  Reid got the most out of Mahomes.  No one seems to develop Speaks, Kpass, or any of the numerous DBs drafted in the past four years. 

17 hours ago, moons314 said:

I'm all for building through the draft, always have been, but it's got to be the right guys.  The Chiefs have done decent building through the draft since Reid got here, but they've taken some risks, on Hunt and Hill. Hill has worked out so far,  but Hunt really hurt. Peters has hurt short term also. 

I agree with you. I just want them to be more careful.

4 hours ago, qnet said:

I'm all for building through the draft, always have been, but it's got to be the right guys.  The Chiefs have done decent building through the draft since Reid got here, but they've taken some risks, on Hunt and Hill. Hill has worked out so far,  but Hunt really hurt. Peters has hurt short term also. 

I agree with you. I just want them to be more careful.

Chiefs could of drafted James Connor or Tarik Cohen instead of Hunt.....

Archived