Chevarias Ward. Big corner

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Ward flashed some real potential last night using his size well in the end zone and actually being able to run and mirror Lockett on deep ball. Clearly raw but he definitely has skills and size a new coordinator can try to develop.  

agree. good job.   Most of you just flippantly saying negative shit don't get how hard corner is.  HE's an undrafted player and he was nose to nose with these millionaire guys.  We needed him more PT=playing time EARLIER.   F U Sutton!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did well in some things as mentioned

Needs quicker hips to break on the slants or not have to be 15 yards off on a 3rd and 6. 

He also said not pass interfere if that was not OPI too

Give it time and he may do well but wait until they actually try and ease him in instead of starting 2 rookies and Sorensen.....

15 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Yep, this guy isn’t an NFL quality CB. He puts way too many hands on guys for way too long because he lacks a quick first step and general acceleration.

jeeesus.  The guy has played one game!!

It's always the same pattern.  Player/Coach X (who is unproven) is obviously better than whoever we currently have.  Once Player/Coach X is put into the arena -- and pristine hope is replaced by an uneven reality -- then we curse Player/Coach X and move on to the next unproven hope...

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

I don’t think they would have done it without 1 game cushion.  It’ll be interesting to see who sits vs Oakland with division title on the line for real.  

To me I’m starting real secondary, but sitting Tyreek.  It’s just clear he doesn’t have same speed and cut back ability right now. 3 weeks between games seems like it could help and if it means we lose to Oakland we deserve wild card anyway.  

21 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I don’t think they would have done it without 1 game cushion.  It’ll be interesting to see who sits vs Oakland with division title on the line for real.  

To me I’m starting real secondary, but sitting Tyreek.  It’s just clear he doesn’t have same speed and cut back ability right now. 3 weeks between games seems like it could help and if it means we lose to Oakland we deserve wild card anyway.  

This game is too important to rest Hill.  It might make more sense to have someone else return punts.  Without Hill, OAK would blanket Kelce and dare KC to depend on Conley, Robinson, Benjamin.  Not what we would want to see.  Unless Hill is on crutches, he plays. 

34 minutes ago, jetlord said:

This game is too important to rest Hill.  It might make more sense to have someone else return punts.  Without Hill, OAK would blanket Kelce and dare KC to depend on Conley, Robinson, Benjamin.  Not what we would want to see.  Unless Hill is on crutches, he plays. 

Agree on games massive importance and an all hands on deck mentality.  But man has Tyreek been little more than a decoy the last few weeks.  Any possibility that’s by design?  If not that sore wheel seems to be begging for rest.  Agree we need to pull punt return duties at least unless Andy’s pulling the biggest bait and switch in franchise history.  

I definitely expect veterans back in the secondary.  

Gruden knows how much that 1999 win here meant to that franchise going forward and the free fall it put us in.  They will be pulling out every stop and we need a focused respectful effort to make sure the Kings of the AFC West stay there. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/12/24/18155161/andy-reid-monday-roundup-a-reminder-for-fans-patrick-mahomes-awarnd-charvarius-ward

“Our young corner did a decent job at times there,” Reid said of Ward. “There are some things he can learn, but he was in position to make plays. Now we just got to hone that up a little bit. That, I thought was a positive coming out and something where we can continue to get better with more experience. It will be good to potentially get [Kendall Fuller] back in the mix there at the nickel spot and corner. But in particular, during those nickel situations.”

Reid emphasized that he liked Ward’s “position” on plays a few times during the Monday press opportunity.

“I think is just a matter of playing a little bit, but he was in pretty good position on most of the throws and he can learn from that,” Reid said. “Just exactly how you go up and through a guy at the end of the route and get the ball out. And then he had a couple good plays.”

Reid’s comments made me wonder if the Chiefs are considering making Ward the No. 3 cornerback upon Fuller’s return.

“I like what I saw there with Ward.”

20 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I thought he showed good things last,  then definitely showed better in week 2.

There's potential with him.  Her also is a good physical tackler 

He sticks by his guy nicely and turns his head too. Sure he is going to get beat and at times like last week but he showed something today

Now to quit having him play 12 yards off when it is 3rd and 8.....

18 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

He sticks by his guy nicely and turns his head too. Sure he is going to get beat and at times like last week but he showed something today

Now to quit having him play 12 yards off when it is 3rd and 8.....

Exactly my thoughts. I've already seen him turn his head more than Steven Nelson has in four years. I like that. 

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

How is he bench depth at best when he is CURRENTLY starting outside for the top seed in the AFC playoff bracket?  Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?

Perhaps. Or is it because the team is desperate? I hope he becomes the best of the best. 

The only "correct" answer is that it's obviously too early to tell.  Worst case scenario is that he's Marcus Cooper 2.0.

However, given his physical attributes and how he has played so far in two games, his upside is a LOT higher than "bench depth."

Archived