Marty Schottenheimer expected to be at Sunday’s Chiefs-Seahawks game

Should the Chiefs win Sunday at Seattle, Andy Reid will break a tie for the seventh-most coaching victories in NFL history.

Reid is currently tied with Marty Schottenheimer with 205 wins, which includes the playoffs.

The bulk of Schottenheimer’s victories (104 total) came with the Chiefs, while Reid has won 65 games since taking over as Chiefs coach in 2013.

Schottenheimer, who last coached in 2006 with the Chargers, was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2016. He lives in North Carolina, and The Star’s Vahe Gregorian wrote this beautiful column of how Schottenheimer and his family have dealt with the disease.

Chiefs fans will be glad to know that Schottenheimer is doing well enough to travel to CenturyLink Field for Sunday’s game in Seattle. The Chiefs’ defense will look to stop the Seahawks and Brian Schottenheimer, who is Seattle’s offensive coordinator.

Brian Schottenheimer talked with reporters on Thursday a bit about his dad, who is 75.

“He’s doing OK,” Brian Schottenheimer said. “He’ll actually be at this game. This will be the first road game that he’ll be able to attend. He’s coming in for Christmas. He’s doing OK.

“Tough disease but we are excited to see him.’’

Brian Schottenheimer, who graduated from Blue Valley High School, briefly attended Kansas and later was a Chiefs assistant, said his dad recorded a video to commemorate Reid reaching 205 victories.

“They taped a little highlight where he could speak,” Brian Schottenheimer said. “He was on that day so was able to congratulate Andy, and the place went crazy I guess. I wasn’t obviously there.

“Kansas City holds a dear place in our family’s heart.”

1 hour ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I hated it when Marty left the Chiefs.  Never really the knew the reason why he left but I was hoping he would stay for a few more years.  I have always thought he was the best coach ever for the Chiefs and wish him the very best.  

I remember him saying leaving KC was the biggest mistake he ever made.

There were some personal reasons why it was time for Marty to move on.  At least, that's the scuttlebutt.  Too bad he didn't have a QB while he was here or didn't play the better one in 1997.  Also too bad he didn't find a kicker during the 1995 season.  Guess there were a few "might have beens" while he coached CLE as well.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

There were some personal reasons why it was time for Marty to move on.  At least, that's the scuttlebutt.  Too bad he didn't have a QB while he was here or didn't play the better one in 1997.  Also too bad he didn't find a kicker during the 1995 season.  Guess there were a few "might have beens" while he coached CLE as well.

If you were a regular at Tanners Bar and Grill in OP in the 90s, you know the rumors were real and his wife had enough at some point. Not uncommon at all for head coaches like that to get caught up in their own fame.  Certainly has been the case with KU basketball coaches as well.  

But overall I love the guy and what he stands for.  Just.a great part of this city for a long time and one of the most iconic figures in KC sports history. I had heard he wasn’t doing well, so very glad to see he’s still able to make a trip like this. 

32 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

If you were a regular at Tanners Bar and Grill in OP in the 90s, you know the rumors were real and his wife had enough at some point. Not uncommon at all for head coaches like that to get caught up in their own fame.  Certainly has been the case with KU basketball coaches as well.  

But overall I love the guy and what he stands for.  Just.a great part of this city for a long time and one of the most iconic figures in KC sports history. I had heard he wasn’t doing well, so very glad to see he’s still able to make a trip like this. 

Did you know the "girl in question?" I did

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Did you know the "girl in question?" I did

Interesting. I actually heard about it from a co-worker who is a Bronco fan ironically.  

I remember a few years later when Marty was coaching the Chargers. After the Chargers beat the Patriots, he made some comments about their injuries.

Tom Brady snapped back pretty hard at his press conference about Schottenheimer. It was like he had a personnel issue with Marty, and it was really strange and uncharacteristic.  I always wondered if the rumors had something to do with it, and players around the league knew it, including Brady (concerning Greg Hill's alleged girlfriend who was involved).

MLOe I'm having abrain fart this morning but I think that was it. Hot Blonde that also posed in  a nudie mag..maybe Hustler?  She'd hang with us ( a buddy of mine was in a band lol) anyway she more often than not seemed to be everywhere we were.. back in the day she hit me like Penny did Koothrapoli ( Big Bang reference) but she was always nice. Always a very flirty girl. I aint saying it wasn't true but being between work and hanging with  my Band buddy I dont see where she got the time to be Marty's mistress.  I seen Marty in Tanners a few times I always thought it was more on Marty tipping her well and wanting that fine young thing than it was really an "affair". I just remember thinking it was more Bar talk than anything else.

I haven't stepped foot in Tanners in decades.. the old Martin City Pub was more my speed

Off the subject , It's strange to read you guys mentioning places around the KC area. I grew up there, but left for the military when I was 18, and know very little about anywhere. Every time I visit I try to branch out and go different places. 

On my last visit, this past Thanksgiving, I went to Joe's Kansas City Barbecue and it was good I remember reading about that place on this forum when it was Oklahoma Joe's. 

Back to the topic. Marty was a really good coach, he just had some bad luck with players screwing up at the wrong time. 

Archived