How hard did the Chiefs try?

I posted yesterday that the Chiefs could rest marginally injured players this week and put the hammer down on the Raiders next week.  Sure, they wanted to win tonight and sew it up, but SEA is very hard to beat at home in prime time and they certainly are a playoff team.  If LAC had won last night,, I'll bet Fuller, Erving, and Scandrick would have played.  Instead we saw two CBs who have near zero experience, Allen screwing up the line play and gathering two false start penalties, and Berry standing on the sideline on the final SEA drive.  For all the whining in the game thread, the Chiefs were competitive and without the two fumbles, they might have pulled it off.  I'm not making excuses, they got beat and looked bad in the process, but the real game is next Sunday and another week off.  It's not unreasonable that Reid chose to give recovery time to a few key players in a game that was essentially meaningless.

5 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Lost 3 of the last 5 and played poor against Oak and barely beat Balt. Not a good sign. I dont think KC is a top 5 team despite their early season success and 11-4 record.

Agree.  This isn't the same team without Fuller, Erving, Watkins, Hunt, and LDT.  I believe the players that played were trying to win every play.  My point is that if the game was critical to the playoff hopes, we might have seen some of the recovering players in the lineup.  The formula to beating the Chiefs is to double Kelce and Hill and take advantage of the leaky defense.  It was easier tonight without some key players.

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  This isn't the same team without Fuller, Erving, Watkins, Hunt, and LDT.  I believe the players that played were trying to win every play.  My point is that if the game was critical to the playoff hopes, we might have seen some of the recovering players in the lineup.  The formula to beating the Chiefs is to double Kelce and Hill and take advantage of the leaky defense.  It was easier tonight without some key players.

Think about all of that and then remember we’re still north of 30ppg. That’s just how special Mahomes is.  This short term bump doesn’t change how bright the future is. It won’t be this year, but 15 will bring a super bowl to kc. 

This was a mysterious game in the fact that many key starters in key positions were deemed out. Ron Parker and Scandrick were not even suited. Andy wanted to see what some of these young guys could do. This game was almost used as an extra bye week to some extent bc of LA and Hou losing. Still have to win next week. The concerning part is this team has not played well together after the Kareem Hunt departure. The chemistry is not there. Andy needs to find this team's identity and quick. 

33 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

This was a mysterious game in the fact that many key starters in key positions were deemed out. Ron Parker and Scandrick were not even suited. Andy wanted to see what some of these young guys could do. This game was almost used as an extra bye week to some extent bc of LA and Hou losing. Still have to win next week. The concerning part is this team has not played well together after the Kareem Hunt departure. The chemistry is not there. Andy needs to find this team's identity and quick. 

He could start by growing a pair and firing bob.

Article Arrowhead Addict:

A road game in Seattle, with a home crowd comparable to Arrowhead, is the Chiefs last chance to prepare themselves for a playoff atmosphere. The secondary has been a source of frustration all season long, so Reid rolled the dice on the two young developmental players they’ve been coaching up all offseason. Given one more slot to test their mettle before it really counts, Reid opted for 134 plays of training in the hopes of unearthing some potential options when it counts the most.

If Reid was solely focused on winning Week 16 and nothing more–if there’s no primary focus on the development of the playoff roster—then you’d likely see Kendall Fuller playing with an injury and Orlando Scandrick manning his typical post. You’ll likely see those very guys back in the line-up in Week 17 when Andy Reid knows he absolutely needs that win.

Agree we looked somewhat vanilla on offense and it was clear we benched a few guys late who likely play in a do or die scenario. 

But we have to face reality our offense has really lost the explosive element that made it SO special the first half of the season.  We still have a pretty good scoring offense mainly because of our QB and HC combo is so good in my opinion   But we went from 3 guys who could create huge plays on their own with a little space to essentially  none right now  Tyreek is doing what he can but he looks like a 4.6 guy decoy guy, not 4.26 dynamic playmaker with that foot.  And all this makes Kelces job more difficult. Getting at least some of that that back in 2-3 weeks we play our first playoff game is really our only legit hope to advance.

And the main reason for that is our defense appears to be going backward.  At least earlier in the year we had the identity of closing teams down early to build a lead and on third down to keep it.  Not anymore!  I saw Jones, Ford, Houston app making plays yesterday  I saw Berry making good open field tackles.  I saw Nelson do another very credible job.  I even saw some glimpses in Ward that really looked promising (big corner who can run).  All that and yet we will got run all over like the 2003 Chiefs.   It really almost makes no sense to me, but the only possible help for that group left this year is Arrowhead itself.  

And that’s where we are at.  Arrowhead Stadium next Sunday for a chance at a 3rd straight division title and the 1 seed.  We couldn’t have asked for more or nobody expected as much at the beginning of the season.  Can we actually close it out though.  This definitely has some real similarities to 1999 where Gruden knocked us out of the playoffs with massive underachieving Tyrone Wheatley having the game of his life against a sinking ship of a run defenses.  

11 hours ago, wilkie said:

For God's sake take us off prime time TV. .Bad enough to lose the game but not in front of the whole world

Better get used to it.  With Mahomes you can count on us being fixtures on prime time for the next decade.  And your talking to a guy who would prefer we play every game at Noon on Sunday except for one 5:23 start in early February    

25 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Better get used to it.  With Mahomes you can count on us being fixtures on prime time for the next decade.  And your talking to a guy who would prefer we play every game at Noon on Sunday except for one 5:23 start in early February    

Yep and we can win in these games and have done so already. Not like the playoff games wont be prime time

Archived