Same 'Ol Chiefs...for 1 more year at least

We may have to accept and be willing to put up with another embarrassment in the playoffs to see any changes made to the defense. 

I'm ok with it if it means whole sale changes to the defense. 

Totally sucks, but may be for the best in the long run.

Just now, Thegoatee said:

Chris Jones and Fuller may be the only two guys still on this defensive roster come 2020. Literally everyone should be replaced I think. Houston only returns with a team friendly deal. I’d still let Ford walk.

Yup.  Jones, Fuller, then because of the contract I think Hitchens , so we have to hope he can get better.  Shit, this team might be better if it didn’t put a defense on the field , then at least teams couldn’t dominate time of possession and keep Mahomes off the field. 

9 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Chris Jones and Fuller may be the only two guys still on this defensive roster come 2020. Literally everyone should be replaced I think. Houston only returns with a team friendly deal. I’d still let Ford walk.

Let our 2nd best defensive player from this season walk?  No way in hell you do that.  You 100% franchise tag him and make him put 2 good seasons together.  I mean if you don't intend to keep him, you tag and trade but no way in hell do you just walk away with no compensation.  

Here's who you keep and build around with a new DC:

Chris Jones, Dee Ford, Justin Houston, Anthony Hitchens, Kendall Fuller and Eric Berry.  Everyone else can go and be replaced.

Fuller and Hitchens were productive outside KC so I believe they can be with a competent DC.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

Let our 2nd best defensive player from this season walk?  No way in hell you do that.  You 100% franchise tag him and make him put 2 good seasons together.  I mean if you don't intend to keep him, you tag and trade but no way in hell do you just walk away with no compensation.  

Chris Jones, Dee Ford, Justin Houston, Anthony Hitchens, Kendall Fuller and Eric Berry.  Everyone else can go and be replaced.

Fuller and Hitchens were productive outside KC so I believe they can be with a competent DC.

This seems about right.  

I don’t want to use “the Patriot Way” as the example since it reeks of Pioli, but New England’s key to success, and Green Bay as well, was to let guys like Ford go. If you can trade him, you do, but once you have the franchise QB you keep restocking through the draft and bring in second chance free agents on the cheap with a rare big signing. So by 2020, I expect him to be gone. If our second best defensive player is a one dimensional pass rusher who will want mega money, you cannot sign him long term. It would be as bad a contract as Berry, Houston, or Dwayne Bowe.

1 minute ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Champion offense, but not a championship team. But nobody expected us to be playoff bound starting out. If we fire Sutton and build a defense with an effective scheme then goodthings are ahead.  

I predicted 11-5 or 12-4, a few if us did in fact. Thing is no one expected the season Mahomes has had

Those that thought 8 wins or less should be excited we have done what we have as we are in fact playoff bound

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

I don’t want to use “the Patriot Way” as the example since it reeks of Pioli, but New England’s key to success, and Green Bay as well, was to let guys like Ford go. If you can trade him, you do, but once you have the franchise QB you keep restocking through the draft and bring in second chance free agents on the cheap with a rare big signing. So by 2020, I expect him to be gone. If our second best defensive player is a one dimensional pass rusher who will want mega money, you cannot sign him long term. It would be as bad a contract as Berry, Houston, or Dwayne Bowe.

Then again if you have a legit D coordinator you could move Ford all over the LOS. Not just sandwich him on his ineffective right side. That is mind-boggling.

If we had a middle of the road defense does anyone think this team might be sitting at 15-0 right now?

We definitely need to replace some parts but come on....the game has passed Sutton by. He is not a creative mind. He does not play to the strengths of his team. His scheme and ideas are as bland as it gets. Who is telling defenders "locate the ball" when it is in the air? Apparently no one because all our corners know how to do is grab or face guard. This has been going on for years and I am getting tired of this crap. I am happy we are in the playoffs but to be honest I am thinking the Chiefs lose in a shootout their 1st game because coaches get their players to rise to the occasion...except Bob Sutton.

3 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

This team is the best in the NFL if the D was avg ranked 25th.  They are in the 30's in nearly everything and about to break the record for most points ever given up.

We need our defense to be competent, not stellar.  If we recognize this as an organization, we can legitimately do the things to be AFC favorites next season with the talent returning on offense and the continued progression of Mahomes.  I doubt anyone really believed we’d be in the spot we are right now.  But I expect us to be next year.  And it’s on Clark Hunt to relay that message from the top down.  

9 hours ago, dksww said:

Lots of good posts in this thread, but the above is probably most likely.  I think Nnadi will stick around and if he's dedicated to a good off season program, could improve enough to be a rotational DT.  So the Chiefs need a safety to go along with Berry, Watts, and Lucas, two CBs to add to Fuller, an ILB to compliment Hitchens, and at least one DT.  The cap will go up $10-14 million next year so the Chiefs could make an impact FA signing.  Don't know about Earl Thomas or what he would cost.  The draft has a few CBs that will be available late in the first round and is strong this year in D linemen so that's probably where the Chiefs should focus early.  Whether a new DC can get anything out of Speaks is a question but he won't thrive under Sutton.  Another CB and an ILB may have to come out of the draft, but if the Chiefs grab an OG and maybe try to find another Hunt or JC in the third or fourth.  I've never been as interested in the upcoming FA season as I will be this year.  The Chiefs are close to a really good team and a few right pieces will make the near future just as exciting as this season. 

Archived