Time to ask questions about Veach?

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

If you think Veach sat in that room and made these calls alone, you are crazy.

how many times here have I heard Andy is the end all be all...

not a chance in hell Veach did the drafting alone.

Definitely didn't call the shots on his own. Even in a traditional approach the HC has major input. The question is whether or not Veach is his own man or Reid's puppet? If the current setup with Veach as the GM doesn't work in the short term I wouldn't rule out a switch to a traditional GM - HC relationship in KC. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, the Warparty said:

To me the big questionable Veech decision was the David Anderson signing.

to say he "contrived"  to get Parker is just plain WRONG.

Parker was like Scandrick a last minute desparation move, when other move didn't pan out. 

His other questionable move was to move up for Speaks

Eric Reid (and Tre Boston?) was still out there when we got Parker though, so imo he messed up there when everyone knew Parker was finished.

5 hours ago, MisChief-Maker said:

Eric Reid (and Tre Boston?) was still out there when we got Parker though, so imo he messed up there when everyone knew Parker was finished.

he probably assumed that Parker was still familer with the plays that they run on defense and that would be a positive

The draft is the questions I would have about him.  Taking an Olber / Def. tackle  at that spot is what I'm concerned about.  We do have a need at that position after this season but we had other needs.  I'm thinking he thought Ragland and Hitchens were going to fit in this scheme.  It was a mistake to consider Eric Berry a starter.  

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

Definitely didn't call the shots on his own. Even in a traditional approach the HC has major input. The question is whether or not Veach is his own man or Reid's puppet? If the current setup with Veach as the GM doesn't work in the short term I wouldn't rule out a switch to a traditional GM - HC relationship in KC. 

Clark Hunt needs to investigate and do something if Andy and Sutton are making the draft picks.    I'm sure Veach  takes Andy's opinions highly since Andy Hired the guy.  CB Carlton Davis and S Bates would have been nice.

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/06/06/bucs-rookie-cb-carlton-davis-making-a-good-first-impression/

https://www.bucsnation.com/2018/12/26/18155129/top-buccaneers-of-the-week-at-dallas

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/10/14/17945092/while-steelers-reached-for-safety-terrell-edmunds-bengals-got-steal-jessie-bates

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/8/17603280/bengals-rookie-safety-jessie-bates-could-be-the-key-to-more-takeaways

. Carlton Davis (Two points)

This is just the second appearance on this list for Carlton Davis. It comes after the rookie cornerback quietly had a very good game against one of the hotter receivers in the NFL right now. Davis’ numbers weren’t too flashy, as he recorded just two tackles (one solo), with one going for a loss. But what he did in coverage was impressive. Tasked with defending Amari Cooper for much of the day, the former Auburn Tiger more than held his own. Cooper finished the day with four catches for 20 yards on just five targets. Davis also forced a fumble, though Tampa Bay failed to recover it.

Sunday really wasn’t a bad day for the Tampa Bay defense. It allowed 20 points, though seven came on a drive that started inside the 10-yard line. Three more came on a 59-yard field goal that capped a five-yard drive. The Bucs were constantly putting their defense in tough positions throughout the day, but the unit responded pretty well. Davis’ play in the passing game was part of a wider effort that saw Dallas quarterback Dak Prescott throw for just 161 yards. Davis did his part in keeping Cooper in check, which is good enough for two points in this week’s standings.

On 12/24/2018 at 10:14 AM, West said:

Guys,  Relax... this team will be contending for the next decade.  Enjoy Christmas.

w

They've BEEN contending for years, I'm sick of them just contending. They have lost SIX straight playoff games at Arrowhead. SIX! And most of those losses have been because of their defense. To me that's the definition of pathetic. They are a laughingstock. Next time and every time after their defense chokes away a game they need to be booed off the field. Enough is enough.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, West said:

Guys,  Relax... this team will be contending for the next decade.  Enjoy Christmas.

w

Yeah....like in the 90s when Marty had us contending for a decade...  :::looks around at all the hardware and championships:::    

I don't want to be consistently good...I want a championship.  I've been a Royals fan my entire life as well...and let me tell you...i'd rather have 35 years of futility with some titles and world series appearances sprinkled in than always get let down for the last 30 while being a constant "contender" a majority of the time.

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

Yeah....like in the 90s when Marty had us contending for a decade...  :::looks around at all the hardware and championships:::    

I don't want to be consistently good...I want a championship.  I've been a Royals fan my entire life as well...and let me tell you...i'd rather have 35 years of futility with some titles and world series appearances sprinkled in than always get let down for the last 30 while being a constant "contender" a majority of the time.

There is absolutely no parallel between now and the 90s, and I would think the reason behind that is obvious.  You don't win championships if you aren't consistently good.  

12 hours ago, moons314 said:

Exactly.  If Veach were calling the shots, Reid wouldn't be here.  Reid has his hands in everything.  That's not to say that Veach doesn't have a lot of input or is just a warm body, but nothing happens at Arrowhead without Reid signing off on it.  IIRC, that was just part of the deal with Clark that brought him here.  Reid didn't want to go the route of GM and coach again, but this is his team, from beginning to end.  Reid and Veach work together, without a ruling party.  Unofficially they are co gms more than anything.  

Agree. This is Andy’s team as it should be. But I’m confident he’s not out there micro managing Veach. They likely come up with a plan together and Veach goes about trying to give Andy what he wants.  Does anyone really think Andy Reid spent hours evaluating tape on Breeland Speaks. 

As bad as the defense was last year, minimal turnover and retaining of Sutton, I don't think you could go into 2018 expecting a huge jump in the defensive rankings from 2017.

I know I didn't.  

Going into this season, prior to any knowledge of what we know about Mahomes now, I thought at best KC would be 7-9 due to 1st year starting QB struggles and an awful defense.

39 minutes ago, moons314 said:

There is absolutely no parallel between now and the 90s, and I would think the reason behind that is obvious.  You don't win championships if you aren't consistently good.  

Sure there is. Marty's teams won a lot of regular season games and then shit the bed in the playoffs, just like this team. What's obvious to me is that just because you're consistently good doesn't guarantee championships.

10 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

Should have taken OLB Harold Landry or Safety .   I hate drafting for future needs.   Breeland Speaks is ?????

Drafting for potential in non-QB positions is mostly useless. Best draft picks are generally day 1 starters. Some players actually work out but don't produce for a while, just get a guy for 4 years and if he is just an average guy to ahead and for another one in 4 years. We are wasting a lot of precious cap space since we don't get much production from the ones on rookie deals. Also with decent coaching most players can actually play at a decent level after a couple years, might as well trade down and grab more picks since we don't use the 1st or 2nd round guys for a while. 

17 hours ago, moons314 said:

Yup, this contending is nothing like we’ve ever seen.  We always knew when playoffs hit it’s a QB that leads you to a SB unless you have the greatest defense in history.  We now have that QB which we’ve never had....

19 hours ago, moons314 said:

The Chiefs had the 2nd best overall record in the NFL in the 90s.  Don't try to say they weren't consistently good.   And please don't say the QB is now the difference.  Don't forget that in this century that Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Brad Johnson, Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman, Colin Kaepernick, and (arguably) Nick Foles have Superbowl appearances.  That accounts for 33% of superbowl starting QBs this century. 

Yes let's get all judgy on the GM after 1 offseason and a draft without a first round pick + a hapless defensive coordinator who won't play rookies unless forced to by injuries or a fed up HC who's normally uber patient.  

You know what's also really accurate?  Judging a draft in the first year!  Let's do that!

Everyone knows that all the other GM's have a 100% hit rate in all the years.  

VEACH HAS GOT TO GO!  SOMEBODY GET THE BANNER PRINTED AND HIRE THE PLANE, QUICK!  

2 hours ago, xen said:

Yes let's get all judgy on the GM after 1 offseason and a draft without a first round pick + a hapless defensive coordinator who won't play rookies unless forced to by injuries or a fed up HC who's normally uber patient.  

You know what's also really accurate?  Judging a draft in the first year!  Let's do that!

VEACH HAS GOT TO GO!  SOMEBODY GET THE BANNER PRINTED AND HIRE THE PLANE, QUICK!  

Oh, shut up.

Come on Xen, you are way too rational!

What a Magnificent  season for the Chiefs.  QB is the most important position in Football and it looks like we have the Best QB in the AFC without argument.

All of us would take Mahomes over aging Drew Brees in a heartbeat. 

Life is really, really good.

w

2 hours ago, xen said:

Not to mention he inherited the Houston, Berry, Ford, Bailey, and Sorenson contracts. That's about 1/3 of our salary cap right there in those contracts.  Tough to build a defense with that as a starting point. 

10 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

As great as Brees has been, I might very well take Mahomes over a young Drew Brees.  That would be a tough call. 

I would take Mahomes.  Maybe Brees completes a higher percentage of passes, but Mahomes is just so much fun to watch.  The scramble/TD against the Niners, the fourth and nine against the Ravens, the comeback in the first Chargers game, and many other eye opening moments are things most QB can't do, especially in their first years as starters.  Brees might win his second SB this year, but Mahomes provides the most entertainment and give the Chiefs a chance in every game.  Can't ask for much more.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Not to mention he inherited the Houston, Berry, Ford, Bailey, and Sorenson contracts. That's about 1/3 of our salary cap right there in those contracts.  Tough to build a defense with that as a starting point. 

but to be fair Sorenson, Baily and Ford's only  come up to 10%..where Ford's on his last year of a rookie contract..not much a GM can do about that and one could argue has been worth every penny this year. so its 6% for the other two

Archived