What do we need to have a top defense next season?

Obviously a new DC is a no brainer, but i'm just wondering as far as personel wise, what seperates our D from the likes of the Ravens for example? The Ravens don't really have much "big names" on defense and yet as a collective they are so impressive. I personally think our front four is the best in the league and in Berry we have a proven star (when healthy) and a proven stud in the slot in Kendall Fuller. 

So imo, we are pretty much two decent corners, a competent safety and a sideline to sifeline ILB away from having a top defense. But can this be addressed in one offseason? I see no reason why it shouldn't be tbh.

I personally think eric berry needs to play inside linebacker and bring in at least one new corner and safety as a realistic plan.

i have hopes armani watts can play and i think berry, odaniel, and a rotational run thumper would be a prototypical modern day ideal linebacker core

with undersized linebackers like this we would need to replace allen bailey with more of a fatty nose tackle type player.

I agree with OP.   Adding two competent DBs, and sliding Fuller to slot will help.   Adding a rangy FS with ball skills to pair with Berry and a speedy side line to sideline ILB to pair with Hitchens and this D will be way better.   Not elite but at least middle of the pack which is all it needs to be.

Add Swearinger if we can and see how he does. Extend him with a clause about behavior etc. Need to draft a db and get one in FA. Draft a DL as it is deep this year. ILB I would go with a proven guy and move Hitchens to Raglands spot and keep Ragland as depth. Not a lot but we have the draft and cap to do this all easily

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Replace your entire defensive staff, linebackers and secondary ....other than that, not much.

Easy enough, right?

They have a good pass-rush, that will be elite if they don't have a sack of dicks playing in the secondary.

Telling werthers to hit the fucking road is a good start, but they need to find a new set of corners.  

Find some dudes that can play corner without molesting receivers and a fatty that can disrupt in the 0 and the entire Defense will look much better.

Add a FA corner, draft a corner and safety.  Draft an ILB, Draft a DT.  Hire someone who can coach them up and implant a scheme that they can play.  There's probably more there than can be done in one year and Houston, Berry, and Ford aren't going to be here long term.  But next spring's draft class is loaded with D linemen, about four CBs who should be starters, and a couple of safeties.  The Chiefs will get three of the first 64.

Corners,safety,mlb, and replace bailey. Replacing Bob is without question the first move. Since Andy said he wanted to give the young corners playing time last game to see what they got. Why didn't he get watts and lucas opposite berry instead of Shity Dan. After he made parker inactive for the game.

31 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Honestly think you should all stop hoping on Berry...even next year. 

His leadership is invaluable but his health makes him a liability and a roster spot.

CAP situation shows a guy minus another injury this season that will be back next year. And fact is his play on the field even after being off for 19 months is still WAY above average and would likely really improve with time. The last time people wrote him off he came back and was the best safety in the NFL. No reason in our current situation with him playing that we can't hope. 

Really important again to realize with our offensive guys back next year and adding a year of seasoning to Mahomes, we DO NOT need a good defense to be clear favorites in the AFC. We just need a defense thats not a complete liability vs the run and can still get after the QB like this years group plus one more legit corner. It's not that hard by the way to be decent vs the run. Finding pass rushers is much harder and weve already got them. 

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Honestly think you should all stop hoping on Berry...even next year. 

His leadership is invaluable but his health makes him a liability and a roster spot.

Maybe, but the Chiefs are stuck with his contract and he's better than any alternative at the present.  Just waiting for the next injury.

Archived