First sign Andy’s had enough of Sutton?

Seems the moves to bench Parker and Scandrick came from Big Red himself as he said he wanted young guys to get real experience as he wrestles with playoff lineups. 

Obviously we know Sutton hates to play young guys, so this had to be in spite of him.  Odd move if you’re really still all in with a coordinator.  At least in my opinion. At the very least a new coordinator is gonna get some real game tape on the two kids.  

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Seems the moves to bench Parker and Scandrick came from Big Red himself as he said he wanted young guys to get real experience as he wrestles with playoff lineups. 

Obviously we know Sutton hates to play young guys, so this had to be in spite of him.  Odd move if you’re really still all in with a coordinator.  At least in my opinion. At the very least a new coordinator is gonna get some real game tape on the two kids.  

I was thinking the exact same thing Mikey. Too lazy to post it Friday. Merry Christmas!

14 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I can not tell you how much I hope you are right on this.  Is it possible Andy is telling Sutton with this that it is either or,  Do your damn job or get the hell out? 

4 minutes ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I can not tell you how much I hope you are right on this.  Is it possible Andy is telling Sutton with this that it is either or,  Do your damn job or get the hell out? 

Andy would never sellout any player or coach in public, in fact just the opposite. 

And maybe it’s just wishful thinking but I’ve seen several signs as the season has progressed that suggest Andy’s not happy.  It’s crazy, but at this point this one move would invigorate fan base and drive even more optimism for 2019.  But if he doesn’t, it will work just the opposite. I know he doesn’t care about that though which is why it’s important to look for tangible football signs.  

SEATTLE -- It's tough to imagine a more difficult first assignment for Kansas City Chiefs rookie cornerbacks Charvarius Ward and Tremon Smith than Sunday night's game against the Seattle Seahawks.

The Chiefs were on the road in a noisy environment and needed a victory to clinch the AFC West title. They were also playing against a veteran quarterback in Russell Wilson."I played some young guys tonight that I wanted to just get a look at, that I thought could help us a bit," coach Andy Reid said. "They had some learning experiences, but they battled through.

"It was a change-up. Give them an opportunity there. They've got good speed and ability. I thought it would be worth a shot. They did some good things."

NFL Playoff Machine

r469409_576x324_16-9.jpg

See what the latest playoff picture looks like and simulate your own playoff scenarios.
NFL Playoff Machine

The Chiefs also benched starting safety Ron Parker, who was inactive. The Chiefs went with Eric Berry and Daniel Sorensen, who began training camp as starters but had injuries disrupt their seasons.

Reid can't be blamed for the effort to improve defensively. The Chiefs are 31st in yards allowed and 28th in points allowed.

Ward and Smith didn't seem to help much in Kansas City's 38-31 loss. Wilson threw for 271 yards, many in the direction of Ward or Smith. He also had three touchdown passes.

"I'm not going to compare," Reid said, when asked if either player was an improvement over Scandrick. "I thought Ward did some decent things in that position.

"We were off by a hair on some of these. We were right there. ... Those are young guys that are in those positions doing that. We were in position. We just have to make a play."

Ward, an undrafted free agent with the Cowboys in training camp, was acquired by the Chiefs in a trade at the end of the preseason. Smith is the Chiefs' sixth-round draft pick. Neither played much except on special teams before Sunday night's game.

"I think I played decent but not good enough," Ward said. "It was my first game, my debut at cornerback on defense. I was kind of nervous, but you can't be nervous in the NFL. [Wilson and some of the Seahawks] have been to a couple of Super Bowls. They're experienced and I'm kind of inexperienced. I've just got to grow within this next week, be ready for the Raiders when they call my number again."

Fuller could return for next Sunday's game against Oakland at Arrowhead Stadium. Reid wouldn't say whether the Chiefs would stick with Ward, Smith or both in that game.

14 minutes ago, qnet said:

Whatever is going on they know that the CB play is a problem. It's terrible they're realizing it so late but , oh well.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

They didn't realize it late, they just had no alternatives.  Scandrick was an emergency pick up, Nelson didn't improve, and Fuller is playing out of his best position much of the time.  What could they have done differently beyond breaking the bank for a fill in?

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

They didn't realize it late, they just had no alternatives.  Scandrick was an emergency pick up, Nelson didn't improve, and Fuller is playing out of his best position much of the time.  What could they have done differently beyond breaking the bank for a fill in?

Getting rid of Bob Sutton after last season is the only thing I can think of. I have no answers for anything else. 

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

Who was the guy the Chiefs penciled in at CB before TC?  Was it Amerson?  That started the spiral at the position.

Yep Amerson. He impressed all offseason in the OTAs and then was competely worthless in preseason and training camp. Veach defintely went into scramble mode with that secondary signing Scandrick and trading for Lucas and Ward in August. I really think his plan all along as to hope he could find a stop gap at the third corner and address it for real in this draft. At least I hope. 

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

Maybe before the season, Veach was playing for the future and the success of the O caught him by surprise.  If he had known before the season that the Chiefs were contenders THIS YEAR, he might have handled the off season differently.

Contenders for sure. Andy can plug and play anybody at QB and make it work. He's only gotten 50 TDs and 5000 yards out of Mahomes. Impressive, doesn't mean he can win the big one though. Time will tell.

Contenders now.  Before the season, the talking heads were predicting that the Chiefs wouldn't survive the first six games.  Most in here were guessing 10-6 at best and if Mahomes threw enough picks, maybe 8-8.  I'm sure the staff was optimistic, but were also realistic enough to think the future started next season.  It's very possible that the success this year caught them by surprise. 

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:52 PM, Mloe68 said:

I think this is Andy just taking all the blame as usual.  Just like in the playoffs when he said he took over play calling from Nagy.  Unfortunately this was just another failed experiment that Andy threw himself under the bus on...

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Contenders now.  Before the season, the talking heads were predicting that the Chiefs wouldn't survive the first six games.  Most in here were guessing 10-6 at best and if Mahomes threw enough picks, maybe 8-8.  I'm sure the staff was optimistic, but were also realistic enough to think the future started next season.  It's very possible that the success this year caught them by surprise. 

my thoughts exactly. 

I actually thought that last year when Andy had some heated exchanges with Sutton it was over. 

I agree that this offensive success was not anticipated by them, us or the media. The CBs played a nice stretch I think in the second quarter of the season so I get sticking with Scandrick at that point but I wish we could have tried the young guns earlier.

Archived