First sign Andy’s had enough of Sutton?

3 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

I think this is Andy just taking all the blame as usual.  Just like in the playoffs when he said he took over play calling from Nagy.  Unfortunately this was just another failed experiment that Andy threw himself under the bus on...

Nagy needs no defending by Reid or anyone.  He's in line for Coach of the year and probably deserves it for the turn around in CHI.  Maybe Reid did take over the play calling in the tragic second half of the Titan game, but I put more blame on the concussion of Kelce at the end of the first half.  Game plan went out the window at that point and Smith lost his reliable target.  Blame Reid for not adjusting, not Nagy for play calls.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Nagy needs no defending by Reid or anyone.  He's in line for Coach of the year and probably deserves it for the turn around in CHI.  Maybe Reid did take over the play calling in the tragic second half of the Titan game, but I put more blame on the concussion of Kelce at the end of the first half.  Game plan went out the window at that point and Smith lost his reliable target.  Blame Reid for not adjusting, not Nagy for play calls.

Amazing thing about that is we had a healthy Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill still playing in the second half and couldn't get anything done.  Our last two home playoff games we scored a total of 6 points in the second half. I REALLY doubt that happens with Mahomes under center. We've got to forget notion we can milk a lead and put the game in Mahomes hands. If we lose that way this year, I can live with it. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Amazing thing about that is we had a healthy Kareem Hunt and Tyreek Hill still playing in the second half and couldn't get anything done.  Our last two home playoff games we scored a total of 6 points in the second half. I REALLY doubt that happens with Mahomes under center. We've got to forget notion we can milk a lead and put the game in Mahomes hands. If we lose that way this year, I can live with it. 

There's certainly a difference playing with a lead with Smith vs. Mahomes.  I had no problem with the running play on the last possession of the LAC game.  What was bad was the deep hand off with a porous O-line.  That loss and the motion penalty killed any chance of running out the clock.  With Smith, that might have been the best shot.  With Mahomes, a series of short passes would have had better odds.  Even a pass beyond the line of gain would have a shot with the Chargers playing the run.  Reid has to adjust to Mahomes's abilities.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/12/28/18158797/bob-sutton-chiefs-felt-they-had-to-do-something-on-sunday-night

Thought it would be best to post this in here. Sounds like this was a group effort on the thought process to start Ward.

“I think we just felt like we had to do something to get some juice going,” Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, the head man in charge of the league’s No. 31 defense, according to yards allowed per game, said Thursday. “We only had so many places we could have changed, and [Ward] was one of them. I think Charvarius has got great speed. He brings speed to the defense, and that’s helpful. He’s a young, young guy, and that’s a big task to ask of him, but that’s why I thought he did a good job from the competitive nature.”

It’s fair to presume the Chiefs wanted Fuller and Nelson to start with Ward as their third option in nickel looks. When Fuller couldn’t go, that plan changed.

1 hour ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/12/28/18158797/bob-sutton-chiefs-felt-they-had-to-do-something-on-sunday-night

Thought it would be best to post this in here. Sounds like this was a group effort on the thought process to start Ward.

“I think we just felt like we had to do something to get some juice going,” Chiefs defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, the head man in charge of the league’s No. 31 defense, according to yards allowed per game, said Thursday. “We only had so many places we could have changed, and [Ward] was one of them. I think Charvarius has got great speed. He brings speed to the defense, and that’s helpful. He’s a young, young guy, and that’s a big task to ask of him, but that’s why I thought he did a good job from the competitive nature.”

It’s fair to presume the Chiefs wanted Fuller and Nelson to start with Ward as their third option in nickel looks. When Fuller couldn’t go, that plan changed.

I read this yesterday but I'm not really buying it. It just doesn't fit his MO to bench veterans like Scandrick and Parker. Either way from what I heard yesterday, I think Ward is going to play over Scandrick again this week. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I read this yesterday but I'm not really buying it. It just doesn't fit his MO to bench veterans like Scandrick and Parker. Either way from what I heard yesterday, I think Ward is going to play over Scandrick again this week. 

I watched again. I don’t think ward was as bad as everyone in the gdt...

he has some right coverage.

russell Wilson is a good passer. He was throwing dimes.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

I watched again. I don’t think ward was as bad as everyone in the gdt...

he has some right coverage.

russell Wilson is a good passer. He was throwing dimes.

I agree. I read some film breakdown on him on Arrowhead Pride that suggested this as well. He's a raw, inexperienced undrafted rookie who clearly played like it at times in Seattle. But he also flashed some real cover skills and ability to use his good size. I wish we would have been working him slowly as the season progressed. Throwing him to the wolves right now is a pretty tough spot.  

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I agree. I read some film breakdown on him on Arrowhead Pride that suggested this as well. He's a raw, inexperienced undrafted rookie who clearly played like it at times in Seattle. But he also flashed some real cover skills and ability to use his good size. I wish we would have been working him slowly as the season progressed. Throwing him to the wolves right now is a pretty tough spot.  

yup

On 12/27/2018 at 1:59 PM, jetlord said:

Jim Fassel took the playcalling duties from his OC during the 2000 season and then gave them back.

That was Sean Peyton....

• 3 weeks later...

Was this a blessing in disguise? Ward and Lucas have played lights out. Not sure if it's Sutton or Al Harris but after rewatching the Indi game our D sure wasn't vanilla. Ferocious pass rush, twists, stunts, lining up Houston and Ford on one side, lining up Bailey on the outside, blitzing Hitchens (lettinf him attack downhill) at opportunistic times. Unreal.

Should be noted Justin Houston didn’t play in first Pats game.  Lucas made his first start next to Parker.  Scandrick and Shaw were the 3-4 corners and both played a lot. 

I do find it interesting Speaks played almost as much as J Houston in the Colts game. I’ve thought #50 has lacked his normal energy most of the year so maybe this was conscious effort to rest him?

There have been definitive changes that I still believe likely came from the top. At the very least Andy probably told Bob to try something else. And again the rumors are he gave a few other coaches like OLB coach Smith more say in the game plan.  

Archived