Can we replace Ragland or Hitchens with Dorian O'daniel ?

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s too small for that role and has struggled vs run when he’s in there in sub packages. His best role in this scheme is the nickel safety Sutton seems to now be force feeding Sorenson into.   

This is a sh*tshow.  A drafted lb'er that struggles against the run ......uggggh.

5 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s too small for that role and has struggled vs run when he’s in there in sub packages. His best role in this scheme is the nickel safety Sutton seems to now be force feeding Sorenson into.   

Hes a 3rd rd pick. Wtf are we gonna do with him? How bout playing him at SS and kicking Berry over to FS. Seriously, this sucks. The dude cant be an every down ILB in a 34.

8 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I think it is his you play O'Daniel and protect him.  Roquan Smith is only 6'1"229 and Deion Jones in Atlanta is only 6'1" 227. Both are really good players.

I would rather see DOD out there with Hitchens in Ragland spot.  

Agreed. But Sutton will never figure that out.

Ragland has proven he is nothing more than an occasional contributor and often shows himself to be a liabilty. At least Hitchens showed promise when he was in Dallas. Coming here and fitting into Sutton's scheme has only handcuffed him and made him look worse than what he was before. Same thing is true with Fuller. Good players with other teams have regressed in this defense. Another reason Sutton needs to go!

13 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Ragland has proven he is nothing more than an occasional contributor and often shows himself to be a liabilty. At least Hitchens showed promise when he was in Dallas. Coming here and fitting into Sutton's scheme has only handcuffed him and made him look worse than what he was before. Same thing is true with Fuller. Good players with other teams have regressed in this defense. Another reason Sutton needs to go!

Yes, I think the aggressive style has been laid on the back burner. Need the LBs to hit the gaps. Sutton asks them to sit back and react. That is not the strength of Rag and Hitch. This leads me to believe that Sutton and Veach are not on the same page in terms via talent and scheme.

I think O'Daniel's ceiling looks to be a solid sub-packages guy. He's not strong enough against the run. Who knows may be he could excel at another scheme or develop better over time but at this point I think he looks one dimensional. A full offseason will probably do him good though. 

15 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Hes a 3rd rd pick. Wtf are we gonna do with him? How bout playing him at SS and kicking Berry over to FS. Seriously, this sucks. The dude cant be an every down ILB in a 34.

Since our base defense is really the nickel/dime now it makes more sense. This is a subpackage league now and that's pretty much where he should be able to have a real impact. DOD clearly dropped because he is a tweener but I still think he's got the potential to be a difference maker on defense with a coordinator who figures out how to use him. He was THAT good at Clemson. Good in coverage vs tight ends, good at blitzing, elite on special teams. Just a pure football player who looks like his natural instincts have taken a hit both by being a rookie and his role in our scheme. Similiar to Hitchens. 

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think O'Daniel's ceiling looks to be a solid sub-packages guy. He's not strong enough against the run. Who knows may be he could excel at another scheme or develop better over time but at this point I think he looks one dimensional. A full offseason will probably do him good though. 

Agree this is not a guy who's gonna line up and just play every down ILB in a 3-4. Just too small for that. But he's actually very versatile in his skill set as he was used at Clemson. He finished top 5 for the Butkus award and led a really good defense in tackles, second in tackles for loss, third in sacks, had two pick six INTs and was one the best special teams player in the country. He's a jack of all trades weapon of sorts that needs the right innovative approach to capitalize. He struggles vs run here probably have more to do with our scheme and being a rookie taking away some agressiveness and not protecting him from being washed out by the oline. He shows off being an elite tackler in colllege which hasn't shown up here yet. But Hitchens showed the same thing in Dallas last year and he misses tackles everywhere in this scheme. 

52 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

You're not going to line up much in a base Defense if you intend to put up 40 or PPG.  That's why it's preferable to have LB's that excel more at dropping into space, but on the flipside you need a DL that can actually close gaps and plug the run.

This DL is pure shit at that.

Interesting.  Everyone is ignoring the Dline while talking about corners,safeties and linebackers.

I'm wondering about it too. I have no clue on 3-4 D but one thing i know is that you need a push by that NT and he needs to get double teamed or else bad things happen.

I rarely saw our Dline make a tackle to stop the run but they did get some penetration.  So confusing.

Archived