A couple of "Rays of Light/Hope" to think about about

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

The SD loss was the one that hurts, because it was at home.  We win that game, no one cares about Seattle.  All of our losses are to pretty good teams though.  

I have no expectation of a Super Bowl this year.  All i want is to win the home divisional round to get that monkey out of the way.  If we lose in the AFC Championship game, this was a wildly successful season IMO.  

It hurt but I think if we learned from any game, this was it. Showed everyone just how bad our D is and we cannot let up with any lead and time left on the clock. If they can come back, they will. I hope this is our Titans, Indy game out of the way instead of having it in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, bamaroyal said:

The 17-17 tie was the first game I ever attended... The second was the longest game on Christmas day... Those two events from long ago defined what being a Chiefs fan would be like for the next half century...

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst! 

Wow.  You must be really old.

40 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I've said this before, but I just can't agree on that particular game.  We scored on our second-to-last drive.  On our last drive, we ran on first down (lost a few yards), then Mahomes was in shotgun on 2nd (got some back) and 3rd (sacked).  I just can't give Andy too much grief for that ONE play call (the 1st down run).  Now, if you want to say that was a bad specific play call/design, sure, that's a discussion we can have.  If you want to say Andy has this overall pattern, then sure, I don't know that anyone can dispute that.  But I just don't think a single 1st down play call is really something to be hung up about.  Obviously, the defense is 100 times more responsible for that game, and even if you want to blame the offense I don't think it was a matter of being conservative, I think it was a matter of the O-line being outplayed.

Agree completely.  Injuries have caught up to the offense, no doubt.  I had a huge problem with that first down play call, because in that situation we're giving the ball to our 3rd string RB, in a situation where the Chargers have a top 10 defense against the run, and our best player is the QB.  The Chargers were playing run the whole way, and we played right into it.  Of course that was followed by a false start penalty, and penalties on this team this year have been outright horrid.  If Andy really wanted to run in that situation, why not go option?  Then at least the ball and the game are in the hands of our best player.  With that, I guess I'll agree that I don't have a problem with running the ball there, I just have a problem with giving it to our 3rd string back in that situation where our best player is the QB.  I feel like early in the year Andy was letting it all hang out, and as the season has progressed, he has grown increasingly "tight".  I realize some of that is injuries, but it does seem that Andy is following the pattern of being tight when it matters most.  Of course this team is far from perfect and has multiple issues, including, injuries, bad defense, penalties, just to name a few.  That's why I would be more shocked to see this team go to a Super Bowl, and not shocked at all to see it lose another playoff home game.  Mahomes ascendance raised expectations for a team that wasn't completely built to compete yet.  

40 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Agree completely.  Injuries have caught up to the offense, no doubt.  I had a huge problem with that first down play call, because in that situation we're giving the ball to our 3rd string RB, in a situation where the Chargers have a top 10 defense against the run, and our best player is the QB.  The Chargers were playing run the whole way, and we played right into it.  Of course that was followed by a false start penalty, and penalties on this team this year have been outright horrid.  If Andy really wanted to run in that situation, why not go option?  Then at least the ball and the game are in the hands of our best player.  With that, I guess I'll agree that I don't have a problem with running the ball there, I just have a problem with giving it to our 3rd string back in that situation where our best player is the QB.  I feel like early in the year Andy was letting it all hang out, and as the season has progressed, he has grown increasingly "tight".  I realize some of that is injuries, but it does seem that Andy is following the pattern of being tight when it matters most.  Of course this team is far from perfect and has multiple issues, including, injuries, bad defense, penalties, just to name a few.  That's why I would be more shocked to see this team go to a Super Bowl, and not shocked at all to see it lose another playoff home game.  Mahomes ascendance raised expectations for a team that wasn't completely built to compete yet.  

Good points.  This team was a surprise on offense and a disappointment on D although not to surprising there.  Berry missing the season, Ragland failing to even play up to last seasons level, Amerson flopping, Watts going down, and Sutton's inability to put round pegs into round holes doomed the defense.  If the Chiefs lose their first playoff game, there will be the usual voices bleating about choking in big games.  I think this has be the most encouraging and exciting season since 1995 and won't let a playoff loss ruin it for me.  The wins will come when/if the D is brought up to average. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

It hurt but I think if we learned from any game, this was it. Showed everyone just how bad our D is and we cannot let up with any lead and time left on the clock. If they can come back, they will. I hope this is our Titans, Indy game out of the way instead of having it in the playoffs.

I'm hoping for the same. There was such a playoff type dissapointment to that Chargers loss but unlike January losses, that one came with opportunity still. I don't mind losing if the other team is clearly better. But in a close game I hope if we do lose that we at least go down swinging with the offense at least trying to control the outcome. This defense isn't getting any better this year and we need to learn from that Chargers loss and play that way. Again it would sure help to get some guys back too.  

14 hours ago, bamaroyal said:

The 17-17 tie was the first game I ever attended... The second was the longest game on Christmas day... Those two events from long ago defined what being a Chiefs fan would be like for the next half century...

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst! 

Wilk / West / Bilyous can you guys vouch for this? 

Archived