Who should be the New DC

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Per ESPN, Gregg Williams has been relieved of his duties and is no longer with the team.- Dan Graziano

wow..I bet he'll be off the board soon but I guess there is no harm in the Chiefs telling him to go vacation  for a little while and they'd give him a call the minute we lose our next game..or n Feb lol

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

wow..I bet he'll be off the board soon but I guess there is no harm in the Chiefs telling him to go vacation  for a little while and they'd give him a call the minute we lose our next game..or n Feb lol

Well Williams is a Missouri boy and probably grew up a Chiefs fan.  Maybe KC is a dream job for him?

Damn MAYBE Gregg Williams will wait and see what happens?!?!

“I'm a die-hard Chiefs fan, always have been,” Williams said.

https://footballmaven.io/chiefs/news/die-hard-chiefs-fan-gregg-williams-faces-hometown-team-as-browns-head-coach-7llJin5CiUSH0HIZaodOsw/

"Die-hard Chiefs Fan" Gregg Williams Faces Hometown Team as Browns Head Coach

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
May 24, 2017; Berea, OH, USA; Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Gregg Williams talks to the defense during organized team activities at the Cleveland Browns training facility. © Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

Excelsior Springs, Missouri native Gregg Williams gets a chance to again lead an NFL team after bountygate scandal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Cleveland Browns interim head coach Gregg Williams came up through the ranks of college and NFL coaching on the defensive side of the football, but he grew up wanting to play quarterback like his hometown hero, Chiefs Hall of Famer Len Dawson.

“Len Dawson was the guy I revered and wanted to be like,” Williams said.

Born and raised in Excelsior Springs, Missouri, just fewer than 30 miles from Kansas City, Williams grew up during the franchise's golden age. The Chiefs won two AFL during his youth, including Super Bowl IV when he was 11 years old.

“I'm a die-hard Chiefs fan, always have been,” Williams said.

Each summer Williams returns to Excelsior Springs for a fundraising event to raise money for the town's youth athletics programs. His foundation says it has donated more than $800,000 to schools and organizations in the area.

“I'm very blessed that every year I say it can't get better and each and every year it gets better and better and better,” Williams said.

Each year Williams' foundation hosts a live auction with about 70 items, including a VIP experience package. The winner receives sideline passes to a game where Williams is coaching and gets to watch practice, tour the team's facilities and stay at the same hotel as the players before the game.

The top bidder in this year's auction to travel to Cleveland to watch the Browns battle the Chiefs, Williams said, is a member of the Red Coaters, a service organization of local business leaders who help the club with community projects.

“I said, 'Look, I can't pay your doctor bill if you wear that red coat in Browns' stadium. You can't wear that coat in Browns' Stadium because it will not go over well,' and they were all laughing,” Williams said.

His ties to the Chiefs also extend to head coach Andy Reid, whom Williams first met when Reid served as offensive line coach at Missouri. Williams later spent four seasons as assistant head coach with Washington while Reid was head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.

“I have so much respect for Andy Reid,” Williams said. “He and I go way, way back, back at his University of Missouri days, back when I was barely getting started with the Oilers and coming down there, and I used to speak at the University of Missouri on some of their coaches clinics when he was still on that staff back then in the old days.”

Life hasn't been all wine and roses for Williams, however. After his three-year stint as head coach of the Buffalo Bills, Williams returned to his role as a defensive coach for Washington, Jacksonville and New Orleans.

“I've had 11 other opportunities since I left Buffalo on letters coming in to be a head coach, and four of them I didn't even have to go interview, just sign the contract,” Williams claimed.

Then Williams received a one-year suspension from the NFL for his involvement in the New Orleans Saints bountygate scandal in 2012. The league alleged Williams ran a bounty program that paid bonuses to players for deliberate attempts to injure opponents. But Williams never considered leaving football.

“I love what I do,” he said. “I turned down the opportunity to go into several other professions and do what I'm doing. There's no other thing that I want to do other than this.”

Great read on Gregg Williams.....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1794097-the-insiders-guide-to-a-gregg-williams-defense

The Insider's Guide to a Gregg Williams Defense

Matt Bowen October 2, 2013

62287537_crop_north.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70

Motivation, accountability and attitude all play a crucial role in defensive football. It goes deeper than schemes or game plans or matchups.

Take the Tennessee Titans this season. They are a 3-1 football team that has completely changed the way they play on the defensive side of the ball, creating turnovers, sacks and pressure.

This is a nasty defense. A physical defense. Turn on the film and watch it for yourself.

And Gregg Williams has played a major role in this turnaround in his first year back in the NFL after serving a one-year suspension for the bounty program in New Orleans. 

The senior assistant/defense for Tennessee has this unit playing with a style that reminds me of the two years I spent with Williams in Washington as a defensive back.

But how can one coach cause such a dramatic change?

Here’s my inside look at Williams, his scheme and the attitude he can bring to a football team.

Accountability Is the Key

Williams had three rules written up on the chalkboard in his defensive team meeting room:

1. Be on time 
  2. Touch all lines
  3. Buckle your chinstrap 

That’s it. Be accountable for your actions.

Within five minutes during that first meeting, I knew this was the guy I wanted to play for. He commanded that meeting room, spoke with supreme confidence and let us know right away that things were going to change at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va.

Hey, Williams can coach. He can motivate. And he absolutely demands accountability from his players. Forget contracts, where you were drafted, etc.

Miss tackles? Bust coverages? Give up plays over the top? Well, then you are probably going to sit. And I’ve been there after giving up the deep one.

That isn’t fun.

Williams sat me down for the second half after giving up the deep ball versus the Giants in '04.
Williams sat me down for the second half after giving up the deep ball versus the Giants in '04.Al Bello/Getty Images

But we needed that type of change as a defense after a 5-11 record in 2003 under Steve Spurrier. That season, we lacked structure and discipline. There was a lot of talent on that roster, but there was a disconnect that existed every day in practice settings that could have been mistaken for junior high recess.

Not with Williams. Nope. We were challenged every practice and expected to produce. He ran the defense like a head coach under Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs.

I bought into his style of coaching immediately, and I believe the majority of my defensive teammates did as well.

We were hooked—and it showed with our play on the field.

That defense was smarter, faster, more physical and welcomed the challenges of playing in Williams' scheme.

Williams’ Motivational Skills

It would be irresponsible of me as a writer to sweep the bounty program under the rug. The player-run program existed in Washington, and it was a part of our defensive culture.

I wrote about it back in 2012 at the Chicago Tribune and took some major heat in doing so. But I don’t regret writing it, because inside the text (once you looked past the headline), I hoped to convey the message that Williams is an excellent motivator outside of the bounty talk.  

Williams knows how I feel about this based on our conversations since I retired in 2007, and that includes the discussion we had the night I filed my bounty column to the Tribune.

I would have run through a wall for this guy. And I probably still would today if he showed up at my front door.

His ability to get the most out of his players is second to none, and I believe we are seeing that right now in Tennessee. This isn’t a unit stacked with Pro Bowl talent, but they are playing together at a Pro Bowl level.

That’s buying into a certain style of football.  It’s an attitude than comes from the top. And it’s a beautiful thing when everyone is on board.

Production Sells 

The “production chart” was the first thing you saw on the wall when you walked into our defensive team meeting room.

It listed the name of every defensive player and their stats. How many tackles did they have? Ball disruptions? Forced fumbles? Pressures? Sacks? Interceptions?

It was all there for everyone to see.

Produce and you play. It was that simple under Williams. He didn’t cater to favorites, and he had no problem sitting you down if the production wasn’t there.

WASHINGTON - SEPTEMBER 09:  Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs (R) and assistant head coach defense Gregg Williams (C) call for a timeout on the game winning drive in overtime against the Miami Dolphins at FedEx Field September 9, 2007 in Landover,
Win McNamee/Getty Images

Have an issue with the number of minutes you are seeing on Sundays? Then go look at the chart. That will tell you the story.

Because of Mr. Snyder's ability to bring in free agents and the draft, our roster had a tremendous amount of turnover that first offseason under Williams.

We brought in cornerback Shawn Springs, linebacker Marcus Washington, defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and drafted safety Sean Taylor in the top 10 after trading away Pro Bowler Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.

We cleaned out the locker room and, well, started over, to an extent. And we needed a defensive coach, a defensive leader to bring it all together.

That was Williams.

You'd Better Have a Notebook

Williams’ scheme is complex. Multiple fronts, coverages, pressures, personnel packages, etc. There was a lot going on there. A defense that went deeper than anything I had experienced as a player.

Williams' cornerback "cat" out of Ruby personnel.
Williams' cornerback "cat" out of Ruby personnel.

Because of that, your notebook was a vital piece of property that went everywhere with you.

His meetings reminded me of college-level courses that combined chalkboard sessions with film work. I still have the notebooks from my time in Washington, and they are filled with concepts, blitzes, coverages and so on.

We covered everything in our game plans. From gadget plays to what to expect on 3rd-and-2 through 3rd-and-6 based on field position, alignment, personnel, wide receiver splits and the depth of the running back. We went into games ready to play versus anything the offense could throw at us.

And that film work was so detailed.

I thought I knew how to study tape, but that wasn’t the case. Under Williams, I really learned the NFL game. Instead of “watching the tape,” I let the film tell me a story.

The meetings were no joke, and we were tested every day when the film started rolling. Williams had no problem putting you on the spot to answer questions, identify concepts or offensive schemes.

Monday Film Review

Williams wouldn’t allow us to relax or think we had arrived as a defense. Even on Mondays after a great defensive performance, he would start our film review sessions by showing cut-ups of the plays we busted on. And he had no problem calling players out. 

I liked that. I did. Even when I was the guy being shown up on the screen for taking a poor angle or missing a tackle, I felt this was pro football. We got paid to play a game. And when the play on the field wasn’t up to Coach’s standards, well, then it was time to get corrected.

I remember a game in 2005 when we beat up on the San Francisco 49ers in Frank Gore’s rookie season. Late in the second half, Gore cut back versus Cover 2. My job on that play? Run the alley and make the tackle.

Instead, I took a brutal angle to the ball and created a clear running lane for Gore to get up the field. I looked slow and hesitant on the film trying to recover down the sideline. And it cost us six points.

Williams must have rewound that play at least five times to show how poorly I looked. That was a rough meeting for me, but I didn’t take it personally, nor did I leave the room upset. Heck, I deserved it after what I saw on the film.

And every meeting carried the same tone. We weren’t in there to throw high-fives or hand out trophies.

You were expected to do your job.

Williams called me out during the film review session after Gore busted a touchdown run against us a rookie.
Williams called me out during the film review session after Gore busted a touchdown run against us a rookie.Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

“Every Day Is an Interview”

That was Williams’ favorite line. 

In Washington, that meant we were evaluated every day in the meeting room, training room, weight room and on the practice field.

With Williams, we would condition before practice. Up-downs, sprints, ladders, etc. Think of a conditioning drill that might make you puke, and I bet we did it.

And they were all filmed.

During training camp, we would watch tape of our entire defense doing up-downs in full gear in the humidity of Virginia. Skip a rep or cheat the drill, and everyone would see it.

Our practices were fast, they were detailed and you were expected to play within the scheme of the defense.

It didn’t matter if it was a Wednesday afternoon practice or Saturday morning walk-through. When the film was rolling, you were being graded on stance, alignment and responsibility.

No free passes with Williams.

Pressure, Pressure, Pressure... 

In our first game with Williams, we went after Jon Gruden’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers at FedEx Field.

That game plan was absolutely loaded with pressure schemes, and I blitzed all day against quarterback Brad Johnson.

We sent pressure all day versus Jon Gruden's Bucs in the '04 opener.
We sent pressure all day versus Jon Gruden's Bucs in the '04 opener.Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Williams dialed up pressure in every situation. Attack the edge,  the inside A gap, use overload pressure, etc. Whatever it took, we sent the house that day. We even had a blitz named “Chucky” for Coach Gruden where both cornerbacks came off the edge.

Crazy, complex stuff.

Yes, this can be Williams’ downfall when he gets too aggressive in the game plan. That has shown up before when he was coaching in New Orleans. Blitz too much and you can hang your defensive backs out to dry with no help anywhere on the field.

We were a Cover 4 team with Williams in our base looks back in Washington, and the Titans are showing more Cover 2 on the tape.

But at the core of any Williams game plan is pressure. It can be exotic with the disguise, or he will have his guys line up in a blitz look and dare the offense to stop it. If he could, Williams would blitz fans out of the stands.

A great scheme. And one that is fun as hell to play.

What’s Next for Williams and the Titans?

I know Williams isn’t the defensive coordinator in Tennessee. That’s Jerry Gray’s job. But watching the tape and seeing how this defense has come together to play at high level the first four weeks of the season, Williams’ fingerprints are all over this unit.

With quarterback Jake Locker out for an extended period of time after suffering a hip injury, the Titans defense will have to carry this club, continue to force turnovers and create scoring opportunities for backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

That’s adversity in the NFL. It happens all over the league. Along with Gray, Williams will have this defense ready to embrace that adversity, because defensive football isn’t played in a box. There are so many factors that go beyond talent and scheme when running a productive unit.

And coaching it at the top of the list.

Seven-year NFL veteran Matt Bowen is an NFL National Lead Writer for Bleacher Report. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/01/a_gregg_williams_defense_5_thi.html

A Gregg Williams defense: 5 things Browns fans should know (video)

Updated Jan 10, 2017; Posted Jan 9, 2017

65 shares

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Browns hired Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator on Sunday, replacing Ray Horton after just one season.

Williams is a 26-season NFL coaching veteran, and has been a defensive coordinator for 15 seasons. So teams know what they're getting when they hire Williams.

Mary Kay Cabot wrote about Williams' background on Saturday. In the video at the top of this post you can see what those around the NFL have had to say about Williams in recent years.

To go along with that, here are five things Browns fans should know about a Gregg Williams defense:

1. A slice of Buddy Ryan

You will hear Ryan mentioned a lot now that Williams is with the Browns. He has described his defense as taking what Ryan built with the 46 defense, and built off it.

When Williams became Jeff Fisher's defensive coordinator, Fisher wanted him to create a hybrid.

"I took George Allen, I took Buddy Ryan, I took Dick LeBeau. I took Bud Carson. I put them all together and now it's kind of a Gregg Williams way that we do things," Williams told NFL Network in 2016. "But there's more Buddy Ryan in everything I do defensively, schematically, than anything."

Here's Williams talking with NFL Network about how he has been influenced by Ryan.

2. Linebackers and safeties must adapt

A key to Williams' defense is having linebackers and safeties that can audible the defensive call to the offensive formation.

Perhaps the hiring of Williams makes extending the contract of linebacker Jamie Collins even more of a priority. Browns coaches raved this season about Collins' football IQ. It might also mean the Browns look for an experienced safety in free agency to lead the largely inexperienced group it had in 2016.

In St. Louis, Williams had linebacker James Laurinaitis handling audibles on the field.

"I tell everyone all the time when they ask what defense we're playing, we're playing the defense James calls, not what I call," Williams told therams.com in 2015.

That quote is from the video below. It's six minutes well spent if you want to learn the basics of the 4-3 defense and gain some insight into how Williams runs it.

3. Players need a notebook

Matt Bowen was a safety for Williams in Washington. In 2013, as an NFL writer for Bleacher Report, Bowen provided an insider's guide to Williams' defense.

According to Bowen, Browns defensive players had better be ready to take notes, because Williams' defense is complex.

"His meetings reminded me of college-level courses that combined chalkboard sessions with film work. I still have the notebooks from my time in Washington, and they are filled with concepts, blitzes, coverages and so on," Bowen wrote. "The meetings were no joke, and we were tested every day when the film started rolling. Williams had no problem putting you on the spot to answer questions, identify concepts or offensive schemes."

4. Always in attack mode

The signature of a Williams defense is that it's always attacking. Expect the Browns to blitz a lot. After the Rams hired Williams in 2014, NFLcom writer Bucky Brooks wrote that former players raved about his aggressive nature.

"On passing downs, Williams certainly isn't afraid to mix in a variety of blitzes from exotic looks - including some Okie fronts (3-4 or nickel 3-3 packages) - as well as the standard 4-2-5 nickel front," Brooks wrote. "He will order up Cover 0 all-out blitzes in any area of the field, which makes him the ultimate gambler as a play-caller."

However, as Bowen pointed out on Bleacher Report, this can be Williams' downfall. "Blitz too much and you can hang your defensive backs out to dry with no help anywhere on the field," Bowen wrote.

Player development a key for Browns

5. Scheme to his players' strengths

Browns head coach Hue Jackson mentioned on Sunday that Williams always gets the most out of his players. In some ways, he is similar to Jackson when it comes to versatility and creativity. When the Rams hired Williams, ESPN's Jeff Triplett wrote about his creative use of safety Roman Harper.

"One example that stands out most was the way he made safety Roman Harper into a two-time Pro Bowler by using him as a frequent blitzer and pseudo-linebacker," Triplett wrote. "Williams would also mix and match between a 4-3 and 3-4. His most famous example (of creativity) was the Super Bowl win over Indianapolis and Peyton Manning when he had different plans for the first half, the third quarter and the fourth quarter."

Browns defenders will probably enjoy running Williams' defense, complex scheme or not. Bowen did.

"It can be exotic with the disguise, or he will have his guys line up in a blitz look and dare the offense to stop it," Bowen wrote. "If he could, Williams would blitz fans out of the stands. A great scheme. And one that is fun as hell to play."

Watch Video....Could Chris Jones be OUR Aaron Donald in Gregg Williams Defense?

How else would you line up our D for a 4-3 base?

Would LOVE to see Houston with his hand down as a DE in a 4-3.....Not sure Ford could play DE but maybe a Blitzing OLB?  Thoughts?

Williams is definitely not Robinson.  Williams' defenses haven't always been great though.  I don't feel like Cleveland has been exceptional?  Probably still a big upgrade over Sutton, and I like the philosophy.  But the guy isn't Wade Phillips.

I'm not sure I'm getting the Williams deal. The Browns defense wasn't much better than the Chiefs. And they were near the bottom of the league in sacks. And gave up more rushing yards than we did. His last job he left the Rams with a bottom feeder defense as well. I get you need to look deeper than that, I'm just not necessarily sold. I'd certainly listen to an opposing view though. 

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Watch Video....Could Chris Jones be OUR Aaron Donald in Gregg Williams Defense?

How else would you line up our D for a 4-3 base?

Would LOVE to see Houston with his hand down as a DE in a 4-3.....Not sure Ford could play DE but maybe a Blitzing OLB?  Thoughts?

Ford could play SLB over the TE then kick down to end in pass rush situations

55 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I'm not sure I'm getting the Williams deal. The Browns defense wasn't much better than the Chiefs. And they were near the bottom of the league in sacks. And gave up more rushing yards than we did. His last job he left the Rams with a bottom feeder defense as well. I get you need to look deeper than that, I'm just not necessarily sold. I'd certainly listen to an opposing view though. 

I agree that the Browns didn't look much better than KC.  Browns ranked 30th in Yards and 21st in Points..Ouch

That said I did go back and looked at other teams Gregg coached at..

Skins:

Year before he was DC:  25th ranked D, His 1st year:  3rd ranked, His 2nd year:  9th ranked

Saints:

Year before he was DC:  23rd ranked D, His 1st year:  25th, His 2nd year 4th ranked

Seems like he has come into just crazy bad defenses and it took him a year or so but does turn them around.  I'd also think with moving to a base 4-3 KC's 2019 season would not look much better on D than this year stats wise but probably more fun to watch.  Then in 2020 we should see a huge improvement under Gregg.

Who knows 

Archived