Who should be the New DC

2 minutes ago, Balto said:

I agree that the Browns didn't look much better than KC.  Browns ranked 30th in Yards and 21st in Points..Ouch

That said I did go back and looked at other teams Gregg coached at..

Skins:

Year before he was DC:  25th ranked D, His 1st year:  3rd ranked, His 2nd year:  9th ranked

Saints:

Year before he was DC:  23rd ranked D, His 1st year:  25th, His 2nd year 4th ranked

Seems like he has come into just crazy bad defenses and it took him a year or so but does turn them around.  I'd also think with moving to a base 4-3 KC's 2019 season would not look much better on D than this year stats wise but probably more fun to watch.  Then in 2020 we should see a huge improvement under Gregg.

Who knows 

Agree situations can cause a defensive ranking to be misleading. And in general anyone who can get consistent improvement from the situation they inherited is a good sign. But man even from the eye test they looked like a lost train wreck out there against our offense. He just got taken to school by Andy's offense. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Agree situations can cause a defensive ranking to be misleading. And in general anyone who can get consistent improvement from the situation they inherited is a good sign. But man even from the eye test they looked like a lost train wreck out there against our offense. He just got taken to school by Andy's offense. 

Yup I agree..Even if KC has made a few teams look bad this year haha

Maybe it had something to do with Williams just taking over HC duties as well?  Maybe Browns talent just sucks combined with Williams harder than avg D to pick up in half a season...Maybe Williams just sucks too haha

24 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I think probability is good they sill be seeking an OC once the seaaon is over.

Mike Kafka is a stretch to promote after only two years but I think he’s the rising star of our staff.  Would be great to get out of this for one year with our offensive staff in tact especially with likely changes on defense. But that does appear unlikely. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Mike Kafka is a stretch to promote after only two years but I think he’s the rising star of our staff.  Would be great to get out of this for one year with our offensive staff in tact especially with likely changes on defense. But that does appear unlikely. 

Might be a little early, but Andy might do it early to keep him from leaving.

The Bengals HC job is going to an Offensive Mind from outside of the organization.  That puts it in a 3 way race between Eric and 2 Rams assistants.

The trend this year has been young (and likely cheap) Offensive minds, so that favors the Rams assistants but ultimately I think it'll come down to which team is bounced out of the playoffs first.

With 8 HC openings and staffs being built quickly, names are coming off the board one after another. Im wondering who is going to be left out there that can run a defense at a competent level.

Bowles was out of work for what? ...10 days? Now Pagano being looked at in NY as well as Williams. This is the catch 22. You want to hoist a Lombardi, but if you arent taking the whole thing, Id rather just get it out of the way. Then we can focus on 2019 which is when the majority of us thought our REAL window would start anyway.

It sounds like I want them to lose, but I could never root against the Chiefs in a playoff game. And Im clinging to the .00008% chance that Sutton abandons his comfort zone and brings relentless pressure all day Saturday. But he wont. We all know he wont. Hes a dinosaur and is completely inflexible with regard to playcalling, personnel, formations, etc.

And it will keep us from winning a ring this year. Prove me wrong Werthers...I beg you. #MakeDefenseGreatAgain

19 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

With 8 HC openings and staffs being built quickly, names are coming off the board one after another. Im wondering who is going to be left out there that can run a defense at a competent level.

Bowles was out of work for what? ...10 days? Now Pagano being looked at in NY as well as Williams. This is the catch 22. You want to hoist a Lombardi, but if you arent taking the whole thing, Id rather just get it out of the way. Then we can focus on 2019 which is when the majority of us thought our REAL window would start anyway.

It sounds like I want them to lose, but I could never root against the Chiefs in a playoff game. And Im clinging to the .00008% chance that Sutton abandons his comfort zone and brings relentless pressure all day Saturday. But he wont. We all know he wont. Hes a dinosaur and is completely inflexible with regard to playcalling, personnel, formations, etc.

And it will keep us from winning a ring this year. Prove me wrong Werthers...I beg you. #MakeDefenseGreatAgain

Let's just root our asses off for the win and at any point we lose in the playoffs just brush it off because sweeping changes will come to the defense.

I wonder if there's any convincing Brett Venables of being a DC in the NFL?  Dude makes like $3m at Clemson, so we would have to pay at least $5m for him IMO.

24 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The HC openings are really good for us in that sense. Nobody will sign a coordinator job when they are up for a HC gig somewhere so guys will remain on the market for a while. 

We won't know if we are taking the whole thing or not until it's over. 3 wins against beatable opponents mean the big prize. We might lose out on better DC candidates but that's the rule of law in this business. 

18 minutes ago, dksww said:

Let's just root our asses off for the win and at any point we lose in the playoffs just brush it off because sweeping changes will come to the defense.

I wonder if there's any convincing Brett Venables of being a DC in the NFL?  Dude makes like $3m at Clemson, so we would have to pay at least $5m for him IMO.

Hes had multiple HC offers in college and says no. He has it made. 

46 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Hes had multiple HC offers in college and says no. He has it made. 

You don't think 4-5M a year to be a NFL DC would be enticing? 

No recruiting, twice the money.   I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious if Money talks.

37 minutes ago, dksww said:

You don't think 4-5M a year to be a NFL DC would be enticing? 

No recruiting, twice the money.   I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious if Money talks.

You would think. But his son is a Freshman on the team. He has a lot invested there. And South Carolina is beautiful. Hes got it made.

4 hours ago, dksww said:

His last few years at Oklahoma their defense was pretty bad. I think he's just got a stacked deck of pro's vs Joe's at Clemson that make a pretty good coach look great.

Ok guys so let's look at some of the candidates and the chances of them landing in KC.

1. Bowles has just signed for the Bucks

2. Steve Wilks is in talks with the Browns right now

3. Gregg Williams is in talks with the Jets

4. Vance Joseph has signed with the Cardinals

5. Chuck Pagano has just signed with the Bears

So who could who is left?

1. Steve Spagnuolo= obviously has a connection with Reid already

2. Kris Richard= is not the DC at the Cowboys and is not gonna get a head coaching right now job by the looks of it

3. Jack Del Rio= knows Andy and the AFC West well and has ran a successful defense before

4. Rex Ryan= Would love the job imo

5. Chris Hewitt= This guy is a young coach that most of you probably haven't heard of. He's the Ravens secondary coach who has been part of that staff for seven years. So he was actually there when they last won the superbowl in 2013. It's all dandy going for the experienced names but sometimes giving a young hotshot a chance can pay off too.

Those are the names I'm thinking of right now, we'll see what transpires over the next few weeks. Either way though, I'd be mortified if Sutton remains In KC. Even if we win the whole damn thing :D .

40 minutes ago, MisChief-Maker said:

Ok guys so let's look at some of the candidates and the chances of them landing in KC.

1. Bowles has just signed for the Bucks

2. Steve Wilks is in talks with the Browns right now

3. Gregg Williams is in talks with the Jets

4. Vance Joseph has signed with the Cardinals

5. Chuck Pagano has just signed with the Bears

So who could who is left?

1. Steve Spagnuolo= obviously has a connection with Reid already

2. Kris Richard= is not the DC at the Cowboys and is not gonna get a head coaching right now job by the looks of it

3. Jack Del Rio= knows Andy and the AFC West well and has ran a successful defense before

4. Rex Ryan= Would love the job imo

5. Chris Hewitt= This guy is a young coach that most of you probably haven't heard of. He's the Ravens secondary coach who has been part of that staff for seven years. So he was actually there when they last won the superbowl in 2013. It's all dandy going for the experienced names but sometimes giving a young hotshot a chance can pay off too.

Those are the names I'm thinking of right now, we'll see what transpires over the next few weeks. Either way though, I'd be mortified if Sutton remains In KC. Even if we win the whole damn thing :D .

Wade Phillip's. Give him lots of money and another position or whatever. Would love to see what he could do here.

8 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Wade Phillip's. Give him lots of money and another position or whatever. Would love to see what he could do here.

That would be freaking awesome. Though what title could they give him that wouldn't be a lateral move? Dave Toub is the assistant head coach

I was pulling for Chuck Pagano, but he's gone. Maybe his brother John?

1 hour ago, tges58 said:

That would be freaking awesome. Though what title could they give him that wouldn't be a lateral move? Dave Toub is the assistant head coach

I was pulling for Chuck Pagano, but he's gone. Maybe his brother John?

Make him an assistant head coach too. 

If the D plays like they did today we will sign Old Man Sutton to a long extension.......as much as I enjoyed the win today it makes me throw up a little in the back of my mouth knowing that todays game probably allowed him to keep his job another year.   

Archived