Older Article on Genius Bob Sutton

It would be a fun read if it actually worked consistently year after year. Rex Ryan's defense was cool that first year when he went into NE in the divisional round of the playoffs and beat them. It got worse every year after that. Same formula as Sutton, started out top ten in yards & points. As the years passed, top ten in points while the yards were in the bottom half. It ended with being in the bottom in yard and points.

Remember when Andy adjusted his play calls and what the O line did when we had injuries? The o line looked much better in a simple line up and block scheme

If Andy can see this, then why cant he see it for the defense too? I am sure it has to show up in the film room if players are lost or in the wrong spot etc 

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

What good is a scheme this complex when the players clearly arent grasping it? To me Suttons inability to identify this, or unwillingness to adjust because of it, are what make him such a lousy DC.

What i don’t understand is that last year sitting at 6-6, he simplified approach.  And it worked as we played the best D we had all year until losing Chris Jones in the playoff game. So why go back to this complicated scheme with so many young players? It just doesn’t make sense.  Why hasn’t he at least gone back to what we did last December?  Gruden is too smart on offensive end to try and trick him.  

The problem is when players on our own team are the ones confused. The Nfl emphasizes youth infused lineups to be successful. The complexity of the defense makes this more difficult. I would much rather be simpler and play sound fundamentals and maintain good rap discipline than try to trick em.

9 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

The problem is when players on our own team are the ones confused. The Nfl emphasizes youth infused lineups to be successful. The complexity of the defense makes this more difficult. I would much rather be simpler and play sound fundamentals and maintain good gap discipline than try to trick em.

I agree. I think that's all there is to it. if players just tackled when they are in position to do so,  it would alleviate a lot of big plays given up.  I've watched plays were the Chiefs defender was at the correct spot, it looks like it will be a big loss, only to watch them get ran over, or just miss the tackle.  

When the Chefs had Hunt, even though he was winning a lot, the other teams defenders were trying very hard to get him on the ground. They were trying so hard at times, I was afraid Hunt would get injured. I never see that kind of effort from most of the Chiefs players on defense. 

I think if we simply eliminated the missed tackles on third down we would be undefeated at this point.  Wrap up the guy and swarm to the ball. That is what the great defenses do. When you look at the stats there are a ton of solo tackles.  And a ton of missed t as Coles. This tells me we are not gang tackling.

Archived