19 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

The run defense still was. Let's not get it twisted. Opportunistic, however I think players were positioned better overall.

They had 81 yards rushing in the first half and finished with what? 108 total? I know they were behind but they did not abandon the run and we seem to di better overall. Still need to clean up the missed tackles though and it can get better

From a schematic perspective this game seemed no different from any other.  We saw plays from guys like Ragland and Sorensen, both of which have been whipping boys this year.  We did seem much better at the safety position without Parker as well.  That said, let’s be honest here, the raiders are bad, and offensively today they played worse than bad.  Dirty Dan’s pick 6 is a play that’s barely acceptable from an offensive standpoint in week 1 and beyond ridiculous in the final week.  They had receivers quitting on routes, miscommunications galore and a bundle of turnovers.  To say this game was some magic result of Sutton being stripped of duties is a stretch to say the least.  I don’t think Sutton is good, but I think people hold such contempt for him that they’re looking for anything that can valid the contempt.  To say the performance against a bad raiders team is some kind of a barometer is insanity imo.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

From a schematic perspective this game seemed no different from any other.  We saw plays from guys like Ragland and Sorensen, both of which have been whipping boys this year.  We did seem much better at the safety position without Parker as well.  That said, let’s be honest here, the raiders are bad, and offensively today they played worse than bad.  Dirty Dan’s pick 6 is a play that’s barely acceptable from an offensive standpoint in week 1 and beyond ridiculous in the final week.  They had receivers quitting on routes, miscommunications galore and a bundle of turnovers.  To say this game was some magic result of Sutton being stripped of duties is a stretch to say the least.  I don’t think Sutton is good, but I think people hold such contempt for him that they’re looking for anything that can valid the contempt.  To say the performance against a bad raiders team is some kind of a barometer is insanity imo.  

If theres any truth to the rumor it would be a further sign that Reid is losing trust in Werthers.

I'm not sure I saw that much of a scheme difference.  The most frustrating parts of this defense - playing 10 yards off WRs and bad run defense - were still present.

However, our defense overall is a completely different thing at home vs. on the road.  Just look at points allowed - 18.3 per game at home vs. 34.3 per game on the road.  And that 18.3 drops to 16.5 if you take away the half-quarter collapse against the Chargers.  Far more turnovers at home.  Some of this is quality of competition but some of it is not.  I think we have a chance to do damage at home.

I also like what I'm seeing from Ward.  For only his second game of significant action, when he's not asked to play off he sticks with guys and has his head on a swivel.  I think he can develop into a piece (2nd or 3rd CB) for sure.

Archived