AFC WEST CHAMPIONS AND THE NUMBER 1 SEED!!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

yea its best to get him wrapped up before the last year $25 mil a year could sky rocket to $35 mil  in just a matter of  a few months..It would be typical that he throw 60 TDs for 6,000 yrds on his contract year

I wouldn't be surprised if someone would give him 35 today if he was an UFA.  Matt Ryan just got 30 per. 

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

It would be a giant mistake to extend either one early.  Especially Wentz.  I think I like Foles more than Wentz if we're going to be real.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

yea its best to get him wrapped up before the last year $25 mil a year could sky rocket to $35 mil  in just a matter of  a few months..It would be typical that he throw 60 TDs for 6,000 yrds on his contract year

Eh.  These QB's always are fighting to be the top paid guy and teams are constantly giving them extensions before their deals are up.  You got Pat for another 3 years on the cheap, so take advantage of it.

24 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

It would be a giant mistake to extend either one early.  Especially Wentz.  I think I like Foles more than Wentz if we're going to be real.

Eh.  These QB's always are fighting to be the top paid guy and teams are constantly giving them extensions before their deals are up.  You got Pat for another 3 years on the cheap, so take advantage of it.

You either pay him sooner or pay him later.. your thought is what got the Chiefs fucked with Berry & Houston..JMO of course 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

You either pay him sooner or pay him later.. your thought is what got the Chiefs fucked with Berry & Houston..JMO of course 

What fucked the Chiefs is the fact they didn't get 13m and 20m worth of production from either player.  If Berry was out there playing like an elite centerfielder and Houston was an elite edge rusher, the Chiefs would be a 100% lock for the Lombardi.

The Chiefs prime window for now will be while Pat Mahomes is under a cheap contract.  The earlier you extend him will be the earlier that window is shut. 

I'm not too concerned about showing Pat the money because I don't think he's going to sharply decline.

46 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

What fucked the Chiefs is the fact they didn't get 13m and 20m worth of production from either player.  If Berry was out there playing like an elite centerfielder and Houston was an elite edge rusher, the Chiefs would be a 100% lock for the Lombardi.

The Chiefs prime window for now will be while Pat Mahomes is under a cheap contract.  The earlier you extend him will be the earlier that window is shut. 

I'm not too concerned about showing Pat the money because I don't think he's going to sharply decline.

The problem is that the Chiefs lose leverage the closer he gets to free agency.  Like what happened to the Redskins with Cousins.  They waited too long to give him a deal and he just played under the tag until they had to let him go.  By rule they can't do anything until after his third year, but if you have a chance to lock up a 23 year old MVP kid that just threw for 5000/50 you do it.  And you don't worry about a few million bucks in the process.  There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady never get to be unrestricted free agents or franchised.  You just can't risk it. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

The problem is that the Chiefs lose leverage the closer he gets to free agency.  Like what happened to the Redskins with Cousins.  They waited too long to give him a deal and he just played under the tag until they had to let him go.  By rule they can't do anything until after his third year, but if you have a chance to lock up a 23 year old MVP kid that just threw for 5000/50 you do it.  And you don't worry about a few million bucks in the process.  There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady never get to be unrestricted free agents or franchised.  You just can't risk it. 

I would lock him up on a 10 year deal then. After he signs it and plays a few years it will be a bargain price while all other QBs try and break the bank each year. If he does wait I hope he realizes that between endorsements and winning he could still make a lot by taking a bit fewer in the deal to allow the team to keep getting others as needed.

47 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Incorrect.  The Redskins never had any leverage ever because they didn't feel Kirk Cousins was worth the money and never bothered to offer him an appropriate contract after they forced him to prove it first.

The value is getting elite QB play on a rookie deal.

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Incorrect.  The Redskins never had any leverage ever because they didn't feel Kirk Cousins was worth the money and never bothered to offer him an appropriate contract after they forced him to prove it first.

The value is getting elite QB play on a rookie deal.

If they didn't feel like he was worth the money, they wouldn't tag him.  Twice. They made him the third highest paid quarterback in the league before he left for free agency. 

9 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

If they didn't feel like he was worth the money, they wouldn't tag him.  Twice. They made him the third highest paid quarterback in the league before he left for free agency. 

Surely you understand the difference between keeping a guy under your control year-to-year vs. committing money for multiple years into the future?

Just now, Adamixoye said:

Surely you understand the difference between keeping a guy under your control year-to-year vs. committing money for multiple years into the future?

Yes.  That's the point.  Are you afraid to commit multiple years into the future on a 23 year old kid that just had possibly the 2nd best season a quarterback ever had?  You want to go year to year with him?  How long do you think you can go year to year with probably the most desired quarterback in the league? 

11 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Yes.  That's the point.  Are you afraid to commit multiple years into the future on a 23 year old kid that just had possibly the 2nd best season a quarterback ever had?  You want to go year to year with him?  How long do you think you can go year to year with probably the most desired quarterback in the league? 

Well honestly now I'm lost on what the discussion actually is, I was just pointing out the Redskins' logic in how they dealt with Cousins.  They paid a temporary premium to allow him to prove himself while maintaining future flexibility, then they let him go after he didn't prove himself.  Honestly it was one of the few smart decisions that organization has made, and I'm not sure bringing in Alex to replace him counts in that category.

As for Mahomes, no one is suggesting that we go year-to-year with him.  But he has three full years left on his deal.  We have all the leverage.  You don't rip up contracts at this point just because, at least not until he actually starts banging the table for more money.  Which I don't think he'll do.

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Well honestly now I'm lost on what the discussion actually is, I was just pointing out the Redskins' logic in how they dealt with Cousins.  They paid a temporary premium to allow him to prove himself while maintaining future flexibility, then they let him go after he didn't prove himself.  Honestly it was one of the few smart decisions that organization has made, and I'm not sure bringing in Alex to replace him counts in that category.

As for Mahomes, no one is suggesting that we go year-to-year with him.  But he has three full years left on his deal.  We have all the leverage.  You don't rip up contracts at this point just because, at least not until he actually starts banging the table for more money.  Which I don't think he'll do.

I have acknowledged that we can’t do anything until next year.  By rule.  At which time we are down to two years. And then you still have leverage.  But that leverage gets less and less each year.  I’m not necessarily saying you do it.  I said I was sure that option has been discussed along with the timing of it.  But I seriously doubt mahomes plays 5 years under his rookie deal. 

24 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I have acknowledged that we can’t do anything until next year.  By rule.  At which time we are down to two years. And then you still have leverage.  But that leverage gets less and less each year.  I’m not necessarily saying you do it.  I said I was sure that option has been discussed along with the timing of it.  But I seriously doubt mahomes plays 5 years under his rookie deal. 

Picking up the 5th year option for Mahomes will result in a CAP hit in 2021 of over 24 million under the current CBA with the current rate of escalation in the CAP.  So the time to actually sign an extension looks like it will be after the 2020 season which would keep his CAP hit in the managable level for 2021 and 2022 before we go into the zone of overpayment in 2023.

But with the CBA set to expire after the 2020 season and a major battle expected, its going to impact any signing. Clark Hunt really needs to stay on top of where they think the CBA will go after this and make decisions about a contract like this before that happens. 

22 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Bill Polian absolutely went to the competition committee and whined after the Colts receivers were bitch slapped around by the Patriots Defense. 

While technically not an official new rule, the original rule was vague so he had his stooge Dungy make it redefined so the mean Defensive backs couldn't be mean to his receivers anymore.

They just asked for the nfl to enforce the rules how they were written.  

4 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Incorrect again.  The tagged value of what he was paid, twice, was South of his actual value.  It made sense for the Redskins.

8 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Incorrect again.  The tagged value of what he was paid, twice, was South of his actual value.  It made sense for the Redskins.

And now look at the Vikings.  Stuck with paying $85 million guaranteed to a guy who is like 4-25 against winning teams.

Redskins actually made the smart play.

Vikings...not so much.

20 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

So you think he was worth more than third highest paid quarterback in the nfl?   Cause that’s what they paid him. 

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

So you think he was worth more than third highest paid quarterback in the nfl?   Cause that’s what they paid him. 

He got nearly 30 million guaranteed, which is what he was worth as that's what the Vikings paid for him.  You can debate some arbitrarily, but things are worth what people are willing to pay.

The Vikings got him for under market value, even on the 2nd year tag which was a 125% figure.

Archived