Has Amani Watts proved anything ? Future starter?

No way to tell right now.  I think he could have come back this year but for some reason we had to IR him so we could watch berry patrol the sidelines.  LDT was more important to bring back so I get that.  But Sorenson... woof.  What good does knowing the defense do if you suck....

With Lucas and Watts around I think we could survive another year with a healthy Berry so CB is a higher priority need IMO. Still wouldn't object a solid FA pickup or a draft pick as we should never trust 3 guys, none of which has played a full season this year. 

I think it really depends on if werthers originals is gone or not.  I think he will be, so S isn't super critical but ideally would like to bolster some Day 3 picks to add there.

I anticipate Berry being good to go Week 1 2019, so that's one spot down and they have Lucas and Watts to fight over at FS.  If we quit the bend but don't break shit, it'll take a lot of pressure off those guys.  Getting some better quality depth would not hurt though.

6 hours ago, sith13 said:

With Lucas and Watts around I think we could survive another year with a healthy Berry so CB is a higher priority need IMO. Still wouldn't object a solid FA pickup or a draft pick as we should never trust 3 guys, none of which has played a full season this year. 

Draft one, sign the other as FA

Then go after other needs in draft and use rest of cap to get extensions done etc

19 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

Ok, so you wouldn't draft safety in the first 3 rounds?

Obviously it depends on who’s available, but to me safety is my top priority.  This has become a premium position where a versatile guy can impact any sub package or base scheme. 

And our safeties right now can’t cover or tackle or stay on the field.  Watts is intriguing and flashed potential, but that’s not enough to impact need there to me.  

3 hours ago, Balto said:

I’m still a fan of signing Earl Thomas on a friendly leg break deal.  Best case he is 100% and Berry is 100%!!!!  Worst case is Thomas plays at a reduced level and Berry repeats this season.

That would be nice, but I guarantee some team will overpay for him....30 yrs. old coming off a major injury..

6 hours ago, Balto said:

I’m still a fan of signing Earl Thomas on a friendly leg break deal.  Best case he is 100% and Berry is 100%!!!!  Worst case is Thomas plays at a reduced level and Berry repeats this season.

I'd make a major play for Landon Collins if they don't franchise him (which they likely will) and if Berry's return is questionable. If they are confident Berry will be back (which Im not sure how that works right now), I'd draft his ultimate replacement early. 

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I'd make a major play for Landon Collins if they don't franchise him (which they likely will) and if Berry's return is questionable. If they are confident Berry will be back (which Im not sure how that works right now), I'd draft his ultimate replacement early. 

Collins can play both FS/SS positions, but he is a natural SS. If we were to draft Berry's replacement, I'd give up our 2nd+future pick for Collins to eventually replace Berry...but have him play FS in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

Collins can play both FS/SS positions, but he is a natural SS. If we were to draft Berry's replacement, I'd give up our 2nd+future pick for Collins to eventually replace Berry...but have him play FS in the meantime. 

He's an unrestricted free agent. Or did you mean if they franchise him?

On 1/3/2019 at 2:20 AM, Calichief said:

I’d spend money on proven defenders. Draft offense.

The Chiefs need OG, TE, and RB on offense and none at the first round level.  They certainly need ILB, CB, and S which is worth first and second day picks.  I'm all for them picking up a proven safety or corner in FA, but they need to draft and develop starters in those positions and that usually means spending higher picks on them.  It would take a very high powered offensive pick to convince me that the Chiefs shouldn't spend their top picks on defense even with a FA pick up.

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs need OG, TE, and RB on offense and none at the first round level.  They certainly need ILB, CB, and S which is worth first and second day picks.  I'm all for them picking up a proven safety or corner in FA, but they need to draft and develop starters in those positions and that usually means spending higher picks on them.  It would take a very high powered offensive pick to convince me that the Chiefs shouldn't spend their top picks on defense even with a FA pick up.

I'd take a look at Tevin Coleman in FA

Archived