Will Watkins be ready?

22 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I have to think there is no way he doesn’t play, and play the whole game.  Late in the season is one thing, but do or die in the playoffs is another.  

I'd like to think you  are spot on but I still am of the belief that he is nothing more than an over priced broke dick..kinda like Berry.

Just now, oldtimer said:

I'd like to think you  are spot on but I still am of the belief that he is nothing more than an over priced broke dick..kinda like Berry.

Be careful the Doom & Gloom police will call you out.            😂

Just trying to read between the lines of Andy's comments...My take on odds of playing

Ware 90%... I'd be surprised if he and D Williams don't both play a pretty big role

Berry is 60%...I'd lean towards he would want to play in a playoff game so he will. But no way to have any confidence in that. 

Watkins 40%...foot injuries are tricky. I'm sure they will give it a go and we will see next week

LDT  20%...he got through all the practices with scout team last week but sounds like he's still not really that close to being game ready

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

At least he's played more than a couple of halves this year, which is what we've gotten out of Berry in the last two seasons.

51 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Whats sad is that the way the Watkins contract is structured we are saddled with him for the entire contract.  Its a 7 million dollar hit each year until his contract expires.  

This contract was set up so the club could get out after next season with a post June 1 designation at 3.5 per season.  Cap savings of 17 million so it will happen with continued injury issues, but if he does have a big season next year he could potentially be traded.  Tyreek will obviously be the focus.  

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

This contract was set up so the club could get out after next season with a post June 1 designation at 3.5 per season.  Cap savings of 17 million so it will happen with continued injury issues, but if he does have a big season next year he could potentially be traded.  Tyreek will obviously be the focus.  

I disagree.   His base this year was under a million.  It was structured terribly.   The idea of getting out after two years generally means with a nominal cap hit not 7 million.   You are right you can wait till June 1 but you are taking up a roster spot for the whole offseason (robbing another wr of valuable time learning a complex system) and kicking cap issues down the road another year.   This is the same crap that got Dorsey in hot water.   I don't have an issue with what they paid him even though we over paid, but you have to front load this first year better so you can in fact get out after two years.   I hope he gets healthy and contributes and then it won't matter but at this point he looks more like another Houston and Berry.   Gonna be hard to take advantage of this rookie contract of Mahomes when we are saddled with terrible contracts for Houston, Berry, Watkins and Fisher that consume nearly 40% of our cap space.  

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I disagree.   His base this year was under a million.  It was structured terribly.   The idea of getting out after two years generally means with a nominal cap hit not 7 million.   You are right you can wait till June 1 but you are taking up a roster spot for the whole offseason (robbing another wr of valuable time learning a complex system) and kicking cap issues down the road another year.   This is the same crap that got Dorsey in hot water.   I don't have an issue with what they paid him even though we over paid, but you have to front load this first year better so you can in fact get out after two years.   I hope he gets healthy and contributes and then it won't matter but at this point he looks more like another Houston and Berry.   Gonna be hard to take advantage of this rookie contract of Mahomes when we are saddled with terrible contracts for Houston, Berry, Watkins and Fisher that consume nearly 40% of our cap space.  

First off you have a 90 man roster in the offseason, so roster spots are pretty irrelevant. Watkins contract doesn’t have any hidden poison pills so really the post June 1 designation isn’t even really necessary anyway. 

Secondly as we know any contract is all about guaranteed money which in Watkins case was 30 million. The vast majority of which is paid in the first two years of the contract.  Veach inherited a tight Cap situation in 2018, so over half of the guarantee was pushed to 2019.  After that this contract gave the club clear options and a way out.  That’s my point and it was clearly designed that way  

The merits of handing a short term expensive deal out to a players who’s production had not warranted it do date can certainly be debated.  

Veach gambled Watkins had finally emerged as healthy last year and ready to become elite player his 4th overall draft status suggested. 

If he can’t play it’s obviously a failed gamble  and a strike against Veach. But this deal is structured to be a short term deal.  He got that part right no matter in my opinion.  

The short term contracts with high guarantees are very new to the NFL, we don't yet know how they will turn out. It's basically a leverage for the young players since they can get another big deal after a few years and still get paid in the short term. It was basically the price to pay to get Watkins in FA and Veach gambled. In the grand scheme of things I don't think his contract will be a huge issue for us. We already had enough room in 2018 to handle a minimal hit and more than enough cap in 2019 to take care of the big guarantee before making a decision in 2020. The likely scenario is that Hill gets an extension with little cap hit in the first year and takes over Watkins as the high priced WR starting in 2021. 

I'm not sure if Veach would actually pull the trigger if he knew Hill and Mahomes would become such a duo. I always thought the primary expectation from Watkins was to help Mahomes grow into the role as a franchise QB rather than bringing the SB to KC in his first year. 

28 minutes ago, sith13 said:

The short term contracts with high guarantees are very new to the NFL, we don't yet know how they will turn out. It's basically a leverage for the young players since they can get another big deal after a few years and still get paid in the short term. It was basically the price to pay to get Watkins in FA and Veach gambled. In the grand scheme of things I don't think his contract will be a huge issue for us. We already had enough room in 2018 to handle a minimal hit and more than enough cap in 2019 to take care of the big guarantee before making a decision in 2020. The likely scenario is that Hill gets an extension with little cap hit in the first year and takes over Watkins as the high priced WR starting in 2021. 

I'm not sure if Veach would actually pull the trigger if he knew Hill and Mahomes would become such a duo. I always thought the primary expectation from Watkins was to help Mahomes grow into the role as a franchise QB rather than bringing the SB to KC in his first year. 

Exactly

Archived