Defense will step up. Mark it down

All season long, the Defense had been a letdown. Last week when we needed a win, I saw something different from our Defense and that was focus, intensity, urgency, and pretty damn good tackling.  

Well guys, guess what. It is time to dig in, step it up and play hard again. And you know what. This team has talented players. Playmakers on Defense. There is no reason for them to fail. Unless Sutton decides to rush two guys and drop 9 into coverage, I think we see this Defense unleash in this game.  My gut feeling is we see their best performance of the year. This defense has too much talent for it to be a liability . 

Both offense and Defense will play well. Chiefs win it 42 -24.  

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id like to believe you were right, however we've shown these flashes before over the course of the season against the Jags and Cardinals. The common denominator is that they are all putrid offenses. I just do not trust this defense in any way, shape or form. Theres absolutely talent there, but I just can't buy back in. NOTHING would make me happier than for them to surprise me and for you to be right though!  I just hope Andy's game plan does not count on it in any way. Either go out and just try to light up the scoreboard and accept potential errors from a 23 year old in his first playoff game. Or protect the defense with a lot of ball control in the middle of their zone.  

Only thing different about our defense is we played a shitty team. To get your hopes up based on how they did against one of the worst teams in the league is asinine. 

This game has to be a shootout as we can't stop the run and we can't stop the pass without giving up PI or holding. Sutton will go prevent as always, won't rush the passer when it counts, luck will have all day, throw deep and we will get flagged. It's what we do. Pat is our saving grace as long as Andy doesn't go conservative in the end when it matters with a lead.

1 hour ago, Docbarnabee said:

All season long, the Defense had been a letdown. Last week when we needed a win, I saw something different from our Defense and that was focus, intensity, urgency, and pretty damn good tackling.  

Well guys, guess what. It is time to dig in, step it up and play hard again. And you know what. This team has talented players. Playmakers on Defense. There is no reason for them to fail. Unless Sutton decides to rush two guys and drop 9 into coverage, I think we see this Defense unleash in this game.  My gut feeling is we see their best performance of the year. This defense has too much talent for it to be a liability . 

Hope you are 100% correct! For motivation the entire defense should be forced to watch all the talking heads discuss KC. Its unbearable. They should be put in a room for 8 consecutive hours of all that BS.   That should piss them all off and add some anger & energy. 

2 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Only thing different about our defense is we played a shitty team. To get your hopes up based on how they did against one of the worst teams in the league is asinine. 

This game has to be a shootout as we can't stop the run and we can't stop the pass without giving up PI or holding. Sutton will go prevent as always, won't rush the passer when it counts, luck will have all day, throw deep and we will get flagged. It's what we do. Pat is our saving grace as long as Andy doesn't go conservative in the end when it matters with a lead.

This is about right.  Chiefs defense isn’t going to miraculously show up against a potent Indy offense.

I hope so. All of our fire power is on offense. We win by scoring 32 and giving up 28. I am more worried about LG, C and RG than the D. If we can protect Pat, then D doesn’tmatter. That said, they are a pretty tough D at home. 

24-32 Chiefs

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Id like to believe you were right, however we've shown these flashes before over the course of the season against the Jags and Cardinals. The common denominator is that they are all putrid offenses. I just do not trust this defense in any way, shape or form. Theres absolutely talent there, but I just can't buy back in. NOTHING would make me happier than for them to surprise me and for you to be right though!  I just hope Andy's game plan does not count on it in any way. Either go out and just try to light up the scoreboard and accept potential errors from a 23 year old in his first playoff game. Or protect the defense with a lot of ball control in the middle of their zone.  

This is a very good post and makes total sense. Chiefs have shown flashes but the Jags and Bengals games were masked by the fact those teams sucked as do the Raiders. How many teams with good offenses have the Chiefs shut down? None. We just have to hope the defense can make a key play or two. And how come no one is mentioning the Colts run game as if it all will be about Luck? They rushed for 200 yards on the road against one of the better defensive fronts. I think they can run against our pathetic defense. My concern is a lot of folks are talking how we need to just beat them in a shootout. High scoring games in Arrowhead in January are likely a fantasy. I would be shocked if the total was over 60 points.

8 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Also liked the fact young guys have been playing the last few weeks prior to this week. Something about giving a young guy a chance when all else looks like shit....parker etc. 

At this point I think guys like Lucas give us a better chance to win but Sutton loves him some older guys, hopefully Reid makes sure the deserving ones get the nod. 

6 hours ago, dhitter said:

This is a very good post and makes total sense. Chiefs have shown flashes but the Jags and Bengals games were masked by the fact those teams sucked as do the Raiders. How many teams with good offenses have the Chiefs shut down? None. We just have to hope the defense can make a key play or two. And how come no one is mentioning the Colts run game as if it all will be about Luck? They rushed for 200 yards on the road against one of the better defensive fronts. I think they can run against our pathetic defense. My concern is a lot of folks are talking how we need to just beat them in a shootout. High scoring games in Arrowhead in January are likely a fantasy. I would be shocked if the total was over 60 points.

Well Baltimore had a great defense and was built to run too. I think we did pretty well in that match up but I do agree it is a concern for us.

Colts scored their points at the front end of the game, then were shout out the rest of the game.  This tells me that they caught Houston by surprise. Houston offense came out flat and fell behind.  Houston was pretty inept on offense. Colts had 5 possession with 4 punts in the second half. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Well Baltimore had a great defense and was built to run too. I think we did pretty well in that match up but I do agree it is a concern for us.

Played pretty well? They had a 194 yards rushing against us and we KNEW thats what their game plan was. Cmon Kyle. Has the bar been set that low?

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Played pretty well? They had a 194 yards rushing against us and we KNEW thats what their game plan was. Cmon Kyle. Has the bar been set that low?

Yes because we held a team to 194 yards when it was their strength with a shit defense. Look at Houston and how they allowed 200 yards to a team when they had a much better defense etc. Point is we can win and have seen a good run game and defense team all in one and won it. This is what I was saying we did pretty well when everyone is freaking out about their run game and defense.

14 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

This is true, but the Chiefs defense had also just given up 33 points to the same team 3 weeks earlier.

2 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

Colts scored their points at the front end of the game, then were shout out the rest of the game.  This tells me that they caught Houston by surprise. Houston offense came out flat and fell behind.  Houston was pretty inept on offense. Colts had 5 possession with 4 punts in the second half. 

This. 

The Colts turnaround has been impressive, but it was against a soft, soft schedule and people are acting like they won the Wild Card game 50-0.

If the Chiefs won their playoff game the way the Colts or Chargers did, fans and media would be saying we stand no chance against whoever it is we would be playing because we didn't close out the game the right ways. 

3 minutes ago, dksww said:

This. 

The Colts turnaround has been impressive, but it was against a soft, soft schedule and people are acting like they won the Wild Card game 50-0.

Defensively it looked like the Texans had no answers until Colts went conservative, which is scary.  But the Texans had a horrible offensive game plan and have an inferior QB who left a lot of plays on the field with inaccurate passes. 

21 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

They also play a lot better at home.

That being said, if Sutton chokes away another double digit 2nd half lead people are liable to storm Arrowhead with torches and pitchforks.

Chiefs Defense Plays better at home and I think everyone is back from injuries.

Andrew  Luck is not as elusive as other QB's, but he is tough and strong.  Houston, Ford and Jones need to hit him hard and wrap....

I would like to see our Special Teams get some points.

w

24 minutes ago, tges58 said:

They also play a lot better at home.

That being said, if Sutton chokes away another double digit 2nd half lead people are liable to storm Arrowhead with torches and pitchforks.

If we blow a 14 point lead because Mahomes throws a turnover trying to be aggressive I can live with that and it will largely be Suttons fault because his defense created the need to do this. But we can't just sit around, be conservative and milk that type of lead this year as the Colts did last week. The Chargers game proved that. 

Chris Jones will beat problem for the Colts. If we make our tackles and keep the penalties down to a minimum , I think we hold the colts to less than 24 .

The Texans offense played badly. It was not because the Colts played like the 85 Bears.

We will win. I am confident. I little nervous, but confident.

Doc, I agree 100% with. We're not looking for some kind of mystical defensive performance. We need the defense to play like we have the MVP on our team. Might give up a few yards but have a chip on their shoulder and go out and prove everyone wrong. Mahomes and co. will spill 34+ on em. Colts get a late consulation TD but we storm out to a 14-3 lead.

34-24 Chiefs

Archived