Defense will step up. Mark it down

1 hour ago, Docbarnabee said:

Chris Jones will beat problem for the Colts. If we make our tackles and keep the penalties down to a minimum , I think we hold the colts to less than 24 .

The Texans offense played badly. It was not because the Colts played like the 85 Bears.

We will win. I am confident. I little nervous, but confident.

Their o line is pretty damn stout so hopefully we can get sacks and pressure. If not Luck will have a hey day back there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Well Baltimore had a great defense and was built to run too. I think we did pretty well in that match up but I do agree it is a concern for us.

We did pretty well? We won so I guess that is what you mean. The Ravens pass offense just isn't that good. That having been said they still ran for nearly 200 yards against us and Dixon had over a 7 yard average. Not sure why teams don't run more against us. The Colts can also run pretty well and I'm going out on a limb here but I think Luck and the Colts passing game is a notch or 3 or 5 above the Ravens. So we agree...it is a concern.

colts jumped out to a early lead and went conservative and only then did houston make some plays. but when u look closer it’s the fact houston’s offensive did not manufacture any time on the field to allow the defense to rest. it’s exactly what we have done to teams. the key will be our offensive and staying on the field. it will help every facet of the game like field position, defense, possession time, etc. this is the way to minimize indy’s offensive possessions. if we can do this our defense may be just good enough and make a few plays as they won’t be on the field. 

3 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

DSChiefs need all five lineman coming all game long. Disrupt. We need to stop the run and keep luck uncomfortable. Take away ty hilton. Seal the edge. Let our linebackers roam free and make tackles in the run game. 

Hilton is injured pretty badly.  Has been playing sporadically for weeks.  Won’t have to deal with him all game.  

3 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

DSChiefs need all five lineman coming all game long. Disrupt. We need to stop the run and keep luck uncomfortable. Take away ty hilton. Seal the edge. Let our linebackers roam free and make tackles in the run game. 

Yes agree. Yet this is what they have failed at all season. I just hope for two stops and one turnover. That should be enough.

37 minutes ago, omahacolt said:

Hilton is injured pretty badly.  Has been playing sporadically for weeks.  Won’t have to deal with him all game.  

Tyreek is in the same boat battling ankle and wrist injuries the last month.  At least he got the bye week, but I’d guess he’s only 75 percent or so.  Then again when you have elite players that are leaned on often, this isn’t unusual.  

4 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

I am more interested in what the Chiefs defense is "capable" of doing. They "needed" to do a lot of things in certain games that ended in a loss. When you look back...they were incapable of delivering those things. It is not about desire or reaching down inside themselves and rising up and playing above themselves....like every feel good sports movie you have ever seen. It is about ability for me. What is their ability to hold up their end of the gameplan. Not just let Miracle Mahomes bail them out so they can go home and sleep at night. "Yeah, we gave up 450 yards and 38 points....but we won.". Screw that! you make millions of dollars to be one of the best at your position. Earn it!! I think we will win the game...but I am not under any illusion that the defense is going to be a big reason why. Will be happy to be proven wrong.

Dorian O'Daniel missed practice today with a calf/ankle.  He got roughed up on a tackle late in the Oakland game but he actually came back in.  I was watching him on the sideline, and he put himself back in the game for the final series (although limping noticeably)...

If he can't go, that's bad news IMO.  He became pretty effective on passing downs over the latter part of the year covering backs running routes in the flat.  Mack doesn't catch a lot of balls out of the backfield, but Hines sure does.  If he can't go, we'd be down to Niemann or Berry (if /he/ can go) in that spot?

Another big matchup will be Ebron vs Sorenson (or Berry?).  Take away the gimmy pick-6, Sorenson was still pretty good against Cook when he manned up on him.  Frankly, I think he's been pretty solid in coverage over the last quarter of the season.

Finally, I'm interested to see how Ward plays.  I thought he looked great against Oakland; perhaps we've got a bit of an upgrade there?

Whatever the D does, I think the most important thing is for the offense to avoid turnovers.  That was the key factor in 3 of the 4 losses this year.

Saturday feels forever away!

The Colts are going to get their yards against Suttons lame scheme.  But we have to get back to closing them out when we do get them in third down passing situations like we were the first half of the season.  

This may be our biggest obstacle to winning against a team that’s the best in the league at converting.  

They give up the least sacks in the league too. But they also haven’t faced a top ten pass rushing team since September. So that matchup seems crucial.  

On 1/7/2019 at 5:39 PM, Docbarnabee said:

All season long, the Defense had been a letdown. Last week when we needed a win, I saw something different from our Defense and that was focus, intensity, urgency, and pretty damn good tackling.  

Well guys, guess what. It is time to dig in, step it up and play hard again. And you know what. This team has talented players. Playmakers on Defense. There is no reason for them to fail. Unless Sutton decides to rush two guys and drop 9 into coverage, I think we see this Defense unleash in this game.  My gut feeling is we see their best performance of the year. This defense has too much talent for it to be a liability . 

Both offense and Defense will play well. Chiefs win it 42 -24.  

BTW, my favorite post in a long time.  Well said, dude.

Not worried just excited!   We should be getting Watkins back and the rest can't hurt the D.  They have some confidence after the Oakland regardless of how good or bad the Raiders are momentum and confidence are never a bad thing to have.  We play in front of the home crow and will be pumped.   We will have our hands full but there defense hasn't seen anything like what we are about to show them.   We get a lead in this game we make them one dimensional and we can get just enough stops to win.   42-35 Chiefs

On 1/8/2019 at 6:57 AM, kkuenn said:

Well Baltimore had a great defense and was built to run too. I think we did pretty well in that match up but I do agree it is a concern for us.

If LJ could pass, we would have won. But he can't yet.

So thats no consolation in my book.

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

If LJ could pass, we would have won. But he can't yet.

So thats no consolation in my book.

Of course the Chiefs were playing their first home game minus Kareem Hunt and still trying to work that out. We also played without Sammy Watkins and both starting guards and our FG kicker missed two kicks at home for the first time in his career. And teams were just adjusting to the gimmicky type offense the Ravens were running. 

In short we were short handed and didn’t play all that well and still won. It’s why I really preferred a rematch with the Ravens over playing any team with a legit QB. I just think we are clearly better wheras we aren’t clearly better vs anyone still left. 

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

Final 2018 Strength of Schedule based on overall team efficiency: 10 Easiest Schedules: 1-IND** 2-CHI** 3-GB 4-HOU** 5-MIA 6-NYG 7-NE** 8-DAL** 9-MIN 10-WAS **=Playoffs 10 Toughest Schedules: 32-OAK 31-CIN 30-CLE 29-PIT 28-DEN 27-ARI 26-SF 25-KC** 24-BUF 23-TB

Considering that KC and LAC had the two best records in the AFC and OAK, CIN, CLE, PIT, and DEN had to play them once or twice, it's obvious that those teams would be listed as having tougher schedules.  Those listings don't really mean that much except to say you are worse than most of the teams you happened to play.

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Of course the Chiefs were playing their first home game minus Kareem Hunt and still trying to work that out. We also played without Sammy Watkins and both starting guards and our FG kicker missed two kicks at home for the first time in his career. And teams were just adjusting to the gimmicky type offense the Ravens were running. 

In short we were short handed and didn’t play all that well and still won. It’s why I really preferred a rematch with the Ravens over playing any team with a legit QB. I just think we are clearly better wheras we aren’t clearly better vs anyone still left. 

So of course, it was all about how you were shorthanded, not how well the limited Offense didd against your defense.

And if you were so depleted on Offense, how in heck did PM throw for his second highest yardage total of the season vs the #1 defense in the league at the time?

man o man, stop with the excuses. Hunt was avg about 74 yds per game- Ware got you 75

20 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Considering that KC and LAC had the two best records in the AFC and OAK, CIN, CLE, PIT, and DEN had to play them once or twice, it's obvious that those teams would be listed as having tougher schedules.  Those listings don't really mean that much except to say you are worse than most of the teams you happened to play.

Sure and Colts still had the easiest schedule. Not perfect info yet telling.

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Sure and Colts still had the easiest schedule. Not perfect info yet telling.

Okay, you have a point, but I still think how the teams have played in the last part of the season, the injury situations, and the match ups have more to do with predicting the game results than past strength of schedule.  The Chiefs have won some tough ones early such at at LAC and PIT, but gave away one vs. LAC.  I'll admit that the Chiefs' four losses were to good teams but they're playing a hot team this Sat. 

Archived