• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprise, surprise.....

I've been telling you guys this for months.  I've had the injury he has (ruptured Achilles).  This injury is going to recur again & again.

I know he beat cancer.  I know the dude is a leader, a warrior, and a decent person.  However, he is not going to just come back from the ruptured Achilles.  They need to cut ties & move on ASAP.

6 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Surprise, surprise.....

I've been telling you guys this for months.  I've had the injury he has (ruptured Achilles).  This injury is going to recur again & again.

I know he beat cancer.  I know the dude is a leader, a warrior, and a decent person.  However, he is not going to just come back from the ruptured Achilles.  They need to cut ties & move on ASAP.

With due respect to your injury, most NFL players do in fact come back from ruptured Achilles.  And this not even the same foot.  Not that he is coming back and not that I'm not tired of it, but most NFL players come back from it and never have another problem. 

23 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Surprise, surprise.....

Will you shut up about this?  FFS, at least do some research on how much it is to cut these players before giving up so easy

I'll do it for you.

Cutting Eric Berry "ASAP"  this year, 2019, would be a $14m dead money cap hit and only save the Chiefs $1M in 2019 cap space.  .

Cutting him in 2020 is an 8M dead money cap hit and only saves the Chiefs $5.5M of cap space. 

Cutting him in 2021 is 4M in dead money and saves 12M in cap space.

It's financially ignorant to cut him now, or even next year.

Maybe they can get him to re-structure, but I don't know.  

But, will you at least research this stuff before you pop off about this?  All this "CUT THIS GUY NOW" constantly is just dumb.   I understand Berry not playing is frustrating, but good grief.

Here is the website I use for contract info:  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

15 minutes ago, dksww said:

Will you shut up about this?  FFS, at least do some research on how much it is to cut these players before giving up so easy

I'll do it for you.

Cutting Eric Berry "ASAP"  this year, 2019, would be a $14m dead money cap hit and only save the Chiefs $1M in 2019 cap space.  .

Cutting him in 2020 is an 8M dead money cap hit and only saves the Chiefs $5.5M of cap space. 

But, will you at least research this stuff before you pop off about this?  All this "CUT THIS GUY NOW" constantly is just dumb.   I understand Berry not playing is frustrating, but good grief.

Here is the website I use for contract info:  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

I get all that, but he needed to do a surgery a long time ago. He’d be back by now. That’s what I don’t understand. And yes. He needs to restructure 

31 minutes ago, dksww said:

I'll do it for you.

would an injury settlement have the same dead money/cap hits if Berry would do one.?  Its just not right to be earning millions of dollars per game to be watching from the sidelines in my mind.

55 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Surprise, surprise.....

Players come back from this all the time AND the injury is on the OTHER heel, not the one with ruptured Achilles.  

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Players come back from this all the time AND the injury is on the OTHER heel, not the one with ruptured Achilles.  

I think KC gambled he could recover and play this year. They lost that bet and now he likely misses next year as well. Easy to second guess their decision.

I think its frustrating for fans because of the NFL secrecy on this stuff.

3 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

I think KC gambled he could recover and play this year. They lost that bet and now he likely misses next year as well. Easy to second guess their decision.

Again from what I hear he's been medically cleared to play since early November,  but the pain or whatever has him making the decision not too even after Andy let this go all the way into mid December. If there is some surgery he can do to legitmately heal this, then we absolutely need to do it. But if we are just hoping time will heel all wounds, we've gone as far as we can with this and need an injury settlement. But hey lets win on Saturday and keep this drama going for at least one more week!

I'm wondering if there's not something in his contract that could allow us to cut ties without having as much financial penalty from it.  If not, there's got to be some sort of injury settlement that can be negotiated.  This shit is ridiculous.  He's making way too much money to be a cheerleader and part time coach.  He's a good dude, but man there's got to be a way we can move on from him without having this same crap happen for another year.

He should have had surgery right away. He was given time and allowed to go about it himself which was a mistake

Even when cleared he did not play and if it was a 3 month recovery from surgery then he should have done it in August. They need to have him restructure or take an injury settlement. The guy has played one game in 2 years and took millions doing it. We have done far more above and beyond for him and now he is just sucking us dry.

Just now, kkuenn said:

He should have had surgery right away. He was given time and allowed to go about it himself which was a mistake

Even when cleared he did not play and if it was a 3 month recovery from surgery then he should have done it in August. They need to have him restructure or take an injury settlement. The guy has played one game in 2 years and took millions doing it. We have done far more above and beyond for him and now he is just sucking us dry.

Honest Question. How does an injury settlement help the Chiefs & overall Cap?

Just now, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Why they didn’t adress this issue when they did the surgery for the other achilles is beyond me. 

I suspect incompetence by our medical staff combined with berry knowing this would be a legit reason to get payed to not play.

I think Berry would prefer to play. He is a high character guy.

Here's what you do if you want to get rid of Berry but don't want to eat the cap space.  You find a team in rebuilding mode with a ton of cap space and you trade Berry and a late round draft pick or two to them for a player with no dead cap space that they were going to cut anyways.  

Since we traded him we no longer have to eat all that dead space and we have more money to spend to extend our current players or use in free agency. 

The other team gets a late round pick or two which may help with their rebuild.  If they feel like Berry is worth keeping around they can pay him and play him.  If they don't want to keep Berry they can cut him and have that money go against their cap number; this way their owner also saves a little cash while they rebuild.

Just for those who think I am crazy, this is what Houston and Cleveland did in 2016.

Archived