• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

If Berry never plays again, what difference is keeping him on the roster vs. cutting him?

If we don't believe he can ever play again, then by cutting him I believe we save $1,550,000 against the cap.  Not a huge difference to the cap so from this stand point it makes sense to keep him if you think he can come back next year.  

Now for the real world, not just hoping to win a shiny trophy and bragging rights point of view.  Berry currently has $2.95 million guaranteed if he is cut after the season.  If he is cut after March 15th 2019, he then has an additional $7.25 guaranteed.  If he sticks around for all of next year then he gets paid $16,500,000.  Obviously from Berry's point of view he would like the team to believe his heel is getting better and he will be back.  And of course any money that is paid to Berry is "Real" money that comes out of Clark's pocket.  For us fans that say it is only a $1.5 million dollar cap hit, lets roll the dice and hope he comes back, If you are Clark and don't think he has a good chance, it is actually a $13,550,000 in real money gamble that he comes back. 

10 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Kent Swanson on twitter is saying that they can save over 9 million if he is designated as a post June 1st cut.

Over the Cap confirms this. If designated as a post June 1st cut his dead money would be less than 7 mill and the cap savings would be almost 10 mill.

Can they cut him if he is still rehabbing from surgery?

3 hours ago, dksww said:

Will you shut up about this?  FFS, at least do some research on how much it is to cut these players before giving up so easy

I'll do it for you.

Cutting Eric Berry "ASAP"  this year, 2019, would be a $14m dead money cap hit and only save the Chiefs $1M in 2019 cap space.  .

Cutting him in 2020 is an 8M dead money cap hit and only saves the Chiefs $5.5M of cap space. 

Cutting him in 2021 is 4M in dead money and saves 12M in cap space.

It's financially ignorant to cut him now, or even next year.

Maybe they can get him to re-structure, but I don't know.  

But, will you at least research this stuff before you pop off about this?  All this "CUT THIS GUY NOW" constantly is just dumb.   I understand Berry not playing is frustrating, but good grief.

Here is the website I use for contract info:  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

This makes a lot of sense. I think you have to evaluate if he will play in 2019. If he will not play, you are better off to cut him now. Eat the hit instead of kicking the can.

Cut now and the cap hit over the next two years is 15.

Cut him next year and the cap hit over the next two years is 24.5.

Assuming I didn’t screw the math up... In a race for a championship on Pat’s rookie contact leads me towards cut him after this season if you don’t think he plays a full season next year. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Kent Swanson on twitter is saying that they can save over 9 million if he is designated as a post June 1st cut.

Over the Cap confirms this. If designated as a post June 1st cut his dead money would be less than 7 mill and the cap savings would be almost 10 mill.

Even better.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

In that case, Berry has played his last game as a Chief.  Honestly, if we made it to a super bowl and suddenly he's able to "play" , I'd be beyond pissed.  He's been through a lot, and the organization has been more than patient with him, but at this point we're getting a negative return on investment.  Good guy, but he's actually hurting the team at this point.

4 hours ago, dksww said:

Will you shut up about this?  FFS, at least do some research on how much it is to cut these players before giving up so easy

I'll do it for you.

Cutting Eric Berry "ASAP"  this year, 2019, would be a $14m dead money cap hit and only save the Chiefs $1M in 2019 cap space.  .

Cutting him in 2020 is an 8M dead money cap hit and only saves the Chiefs $5.5M of cap space. 

Cutting him in 2021 is 4M in dead money and saves 12M in cap space.

It's financially ignorant to cut him now, or even next year.

Maybe they can get him to re-structure, but I don't know.  

But, will you at least research this stuff before you pop off about this?  All this "CUT THIS GUY NOW" constantly is just dumb.   I understand Berry not playing is frustrating, but good grief.

Here is the website I use for contract info:  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

No, I will not shut up about it.  I am pretty sure this website is designed for Chiefs fans to post their opinions on the team.  This thread in particular is for people to discuss Berry’s injury plagued season & probable sitting out of a playoff game.

Also, I said “cut ties” ... that could mean injury settlement, trading, releasing, or something else.  He’s just eating up roster space that could be filled by a player that could contribute to this team.  Berry is contributing VERY LITTLE on the field.  He’s played 3 halves of football in 34 games.

It is clear based upon the posters above that the team could save substantial money by releasing Berry.  At the very least, cutting him will free up roster space for another player to contribute.

Take your internet tough-guy bit somewhere else DKSWW.... what gives?  Are you Berry’s little brother or something?

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

In that case, Berry has played his last game as a Chief.  Honestly, if we made it to a super bowl and suddenly he's able to "play" , I'd be beyond pissed.  He's been through a lot, and the organization has been more than patient with him, but at this point we're getting a negative return on investment.  Good guy, but he's actually hurting the team at this point.

Couldn't agree more. Great leader, great man, been through Hell, great player when healthy; however, KC has gone above and beyond for him through it all. He owes us a huge paycut/restructure at this point or he needs to go. Can't continue to hemorrhage money for guys who can't get on the field. Lot of great players who's bodies give out, he may be there now sadly.

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Three scenarios I can at least better understand this ordeal....

1. Berry comes out after the season and says I tried hard but my body just couldn’t do it this year. And agrees to injury settlement to buy us extra CAP relief  

2. The Chiefs acknowledge there’s a surgery that corrects this that would have knocked him out for season and they hoped he could play through pain if they went very slow with it  

3. He’s MVP of the Super Bowl in Atlanta  

Not sure why anyone is second guessing the diagnosis.  Everyone, including his teammates knew that this injury wasn't going to heal itself and would eventually restrict him from playing and might even cause his other achilles to rupture.   There is no defending the decision to not have surgery.   He made a business decision, but that decision cost his team this year and possible cost them a realistic chance of winning a SB.   He's done a lot for the Chiefs and been a huge inspiration but the Chiefs have more than compensated him for that.    Time to move on and if that report is true then he has more than likely  played his last game as a Chief if he doesn't return for these playoffs.

6 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

If Berry never plays again, what difference is keeping him on the roster vs. cutting him?

We can't cut him as that would be a huge dead money. NFL allows injury settlement in such cases which is the only smart way to go. In the mean time Veach better fire some trainers who decided it was best for Berry not to have the surgery or keep him on the active roster.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

We can't cut him as that would be a huge dead money. NFL allows injury settlement in such cases which is the only smart way to go. In the mean time Veach better fire some trainers who decided it was best for Berry not to have the surgery or keep him on the active roster.

The active roster I agree with you on but I'm betting the chiefs medical staff aren't the only ones Berry sees regarding his health.   Chiefs could have suggested it, and said this is the best course of action,  doesn't mean Berry had to do it. 

8 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

The active roster I agree with you on but I'm betting the chiefs medical staff aren't the only ones Berry sees regarding his health.   Chiefs could have suggested it, and said this is the best course of action,  doesn't mean Berry had to do it. 

Definitely but as a 13 mil per year investment the team should have a say in the whole thing as well. That being said if he went through the regular treatment procedures he would be active by now. So there's a very good chance that the trainers or the doctors Berry consulted thought he could actually handle the whole thing without surgery. 

10 hours ago, moons314 said:

Yup, agree with this. It’s unfortunate but the longer it draws out the more it hurts us long term.  

Bottom line is that we cant have that position as a question mark going into next year. If there is a restructure that can be done, Id look into it. Otherwise Id designate him as a post June 1st cut and move on. 

7 million is a lot of dead money. If they cut Houston that would be 14 million in dead cap just between the 2 of them. But it would also free up almost 24 million in addition to the nearly 40 in space million they will have this offseason as is. 

We have VERY little dead money as of now. So this may be a chance to really overhaul this defense. There is young guys that need to be paid, but with that kind of cap space and 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, they could really have an entirely different look on that side of the ball next year.

Its probably time to cut bait. Get rid of the final 2 bad defensive contracts Dorsey handed out. 

11 hours ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

No, I will not shut up about it.  I am pretty sure this website is designed for Chiefs fans to post their opinions on the team.  This thread in particular is for people to discuss Berry’s injury plagued season & probable sitting out of a playoff game.

Also, I said “cut ties” ... that could mean injury settlement, trading, releasing, or something else.  He’s just eating up roster space that could be filled by a player that could contribute to this team.  Berry is contributing VERY LITTLE on the field.  He’s played 3 halves of football in 34 games.

It is clear based upon the posters above that the team could save substantial money by releasing Berry.  At the very least, cutting him will free up roster space for another player to contribute.

Take your internet tough-guy bit somewhere else DKSWW.... what gives?  Are you Berry’s little brother or something?

I wasn't trying to bully you, but people always fly off the handle and say "JUST CUT THE GUY" and they financially can't. 

Even an injury settlement would be tough on the Chiefs cap.

I promise the minute we cut Eric Berry and the Patriots, Steelers or Rams sign him, Chiefs fans will be all upset about it, even though for the most part, they want him gone.

Sorry I came off that way, let's just ride the Berry situation out and see what happens.

8 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Bottom line is that we cant have that position as a question mark going into next year. If there is a restructure that can be done, Id look into it. Otherwise Id designate him as a post June 1st cut and move on. 

7 million is a lot of dead money. If they cut Houston that would be 14 million in dead cap just between the 2 of them. But it would also free up almost 24 million in addition to the nearly 40 in space million they will have this offseason as is. 

We have VERY little dead money as of now. So this may be a chance to really overhaul this defense. There is young guys that need to be paid, but with that kind of cap space and 4 picks in the first 3 rounds, they could really have an entirely different look on that side of the ball next year.

Its probably time to cut bait. Get rid of the final 2 bad defensive contracts Dorsey handed out. 

Does dead money count against the cap?  I can never remember.

5 minutes ago, dksww said:

Does dead money count against the cap?  I can never remember.

Yes, think of it this way, it’s called dead money because it’s not good. It’s money being spent on a player that isn’t on the roster that impacts your salary cap. On the plus side the reason you often have it is because the player would count more toward the salary cap if they were on the roster

5 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Yes, think of it this way, it’s called dead money because it’s not good. It’s money being spent on a player that isn’t on the roster that impacts your salary cap. On the plus side the reason you often have it is because the player would count more toward the salary cap if they were on the roster

I think he was being sarcasmic. 

13 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Post-June 1 only means the cap hit is spread out.  There is a savings for one year but then a corresponding hit the next year.  You don't "save" in the big picture.

17 hours ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

Surprise, surprise.....

I've been telling you guys this for months.  I've had the injury he has (ruptured Achilles).  This injury is going to recur again & again.

I know he beat cancer.  I know the dude is a leader, a warrior, and a decent person.  However, he is not going to just come back from the ruptured Achilles.  They need to cut ties & move on ASAP.

You may have been saying this for months HOWEVER this is NOT the same foot as his previous ruptured Achilles. So whatever your personal experiences are, they are not the same as when Berry is going through.

He should have just had surgery at the beginning of the season and put on the IR with a chance to return healthy instead of this "Day to Day" BS they've pulled all season long. Wasted roster spot that could have been aggressively addressed earlier in the season. I'm a huge Berry fan but the Chiefs screwed up with their handling of this injury. Really freaking stupid.

Archived