15 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Why they didn’t adress this issue when they did the surgery for the other achilles is beyond me. 

I suspect incompetence by our medical staff combined with berry knowing this would be a legit reason to get payed to not play.

There would be no reason for them to think about performing surgery on a foot that isn't having symptoms, just because they are performing surgery on the opposite foot that is injured. I think it was one full season prior to him rupturing his Achilles that he had symptoms in his current ailing foot. Or maybe my memory is wrong.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, dksww said:

I wasn't trying to bully you, but people always fly off the handle and say "JUST CUT THE GUY" and they financially can't. 

Even an injury settlement would be tough on the Chiefs cap.

I promise the minute we cut Eric Berry and the Patriots, Steelers or Rams sign him, Chiefs fans will be all upset about it, even though for the most part, they want him gone.

Sorry I came off that way, let's just ride the Berry situation out and see what happens.

I've always seen you as a voice of reason which is why I was surprised you were so animated by my post.

My choice of words (cut ties) was poor.  I was trying to say we need to do something with Berry, as paying him $16,000,000 to sit on the sidelines and using up a roster spot on him is the worst case scenario for the Chiefs. 

It will be interesting to see how this transpires.

2 hours ago, dksww said:

I wasn't trying to bully you, but people always fly off the handle and say "JUST CUT THE GUY" and they financially can't. 

Even an injury settlement would be tough on the Chiefs cap.

I promise the minute we cut Eric Berry and the Patriots, Steelers or Rams sign him, Chiefs fans will be all upset about it, even though for the most part, they want him gone.

Sorry I came off that way, let's just ride the Berry situation out and see what happens.

I don't even WANT to cut him!  I just want him to play, and think he has went about this whole process the wrong way.  We are paying him WAY too much money to have played a total of 1.5 games in 2 years.  He shoulda got it fixed in the offseason!

3 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

There would be no reason for them to think about performing surgery on a foot that isn't having symptoms, just because they are performing surgery on the opposite foot that is injured. I think it was one full season prior to him rupturing his Achilles that he had symptoms in his current ailing foot. Or maybe my memory is wrong.

I am operating with the fact he was known to have haglund’s deformity on both ankles/achilles going back a couple years, and this is the root cause of his issues

23 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I am operating with the fact he was known to have haglund’s deformity on both ankles/achilles going back a couple years, and this is the root cause of his issues

Completely agree. Rest, ice, physical therapy are all often recommended as a method of treatment but his flared back up immediately upon exertion. Not surprising in an athlete.

Dude better be getting surgery FUCKING IMMEDIATELY after the season ends if he wants to be in our plans going forward.

4 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

True, it wasn't an issue back when ACL was in play. However they identified the problem 6 months ago and even with surgery he would very likely be back by now. 

22 hours ago, reesebobby said:

With due respect to your injury, most NFL players do in fact come back from ruptured Achilles.  And this not even the same foot.  Not that he is coming back and not that I'm not tired of it, but most NFL players come back from it and never have another problem. 

Players do come back from a ruptured achilles.  But this isn't an Achilles.  It is a Haglund's deformity, which is a spur on the heel bone that hurts when it rubs against the achilles and can weaken the achilles. It may be why he had an achilles rupture to start with.  In my opinion, the Chiefs doctors should have operated and removed the spur and allowed him to come back next season.  I believe he is the victim of doctors who wanted to feed Berry's desire to play and the front office's desire to get some production in the playoffs after paying him an astronomical contract, in order to justify them having made that deal.  They should have cut bait and convinced Berry that it had to be operated on.  Personally, I would be surprised if he ever played effectively or very long for the Chiefs again, if at all. I have expressed this opinion in other threads for months and in the comments section of Arrowhead Pride under a different screen name.  Many of us have.  It's a sad situation but very predictable and obvious from the reports all season.

agreed but this comment here 

I believe he is the victim of doctors who wanted to feed Berry's desire to play and the front office's desire to get some production in the playoffs after paying him an astronomical contract, in order to justify them having made that deal.  They should have cut bait and convinced Berry that it had to be operated on.

According to Tim Grunhardt players pretty much have their own Dr's they rely on Trainers and team Drs often have the same reputation as  the "Company Dr".. We may all have some sort of  distrust of the trainers and their ability/judgment but the bottom line is that it is the players decision on the type of treatment he takes. 

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

I believe he is the victim of doctors who wanted to feed Berry's desire to play and the front office's desire to get some production in the playoffs after paying him an astronomical contract, in order to justify them having made that deal.  They should have cut bait and convinced Berry that it had to be operated on.

According to Tim Grunhardt players pretty much have their own Dr's they rely on Trainers and team Drs often have the same reputation as  the "Company Dr".. We may all have some sort of  distrust of the trainers and their ability/judgment but the bottom line is that it is the players decision on the type of treatment he takes. 

Informative post. Thanks.

57 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

When a team pays the kind of money that Berry is getting, it would make sense that the team also has input to medical decisions that affect his ability to play.  "Get a second or even third opinion, but if our docs say you need some procedure, then we're paying you to do it."

Eric Berry (questionable, heel) is a game-time decision for the Divisional Round.

Berry didn't practice the last two days, putting his status in doubt. The Chiefs plan to take his status to pre-game warmups. Berry's absence would be a upgrade to Eric Ebron's Divisional Round matchup.

Source: NFL Network

2 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Eric Berry (questionable, heel) is a game-time decision for the Divisional Round.

Berry didn't practice the last two days, putting his status in doubt. The Chiefs plan to take his status to pre-game warmups. Berry's absence would be a upgrade to Eric Ebron's Divisional Round matchup.

Source: NFL Network

He's been upgraded from day to day to hour by hour 😵

The fact that they are saying it will be a "game day decision" is indeed encouraging. As for those who want him "cut". We'll, I certainly don't subscribe to that notion at all. When healthy the guy is one of the best in the game and I honestly think surgary would put an end to his problems. The recovery time is usually six months so he would be in good shape to return early next season. Pair him with another compentent safety and some decent corners and we'd be able to give Pat the defense he deserves. Cutting Berry just doesn't make sense whatsoever imo. 

5 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Berry should walk away and let the chiefs move on. ThIS MOMENT IS WHAT ALL THE RESTING OF THE HEEL WAS for......

bullshit

Yes I get the frustration. Does not really mean much for this game. Mahomes and CO , if on their game, will win a shootout every time. One guy on this defense not a huge deal.

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

Yes I get the frustration. Does not really mean much for this game. Mahomes and CO , if on their game, will win a shootout every time. One guy on this defense not a huge deal.

This is why he sat all year.

andrew luck is the real deal. Berry taking a player away would have been big.

hopefully Lucas is ready 

48 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Berry should walk away and let the chiefs move on. ThIS MOMENT IS WHAT ALL THE RESTING OF THE HEEL WAS for......

bullshit

His heel will be absolutely perfectly healed for the next game of the playoffs...after we lose the one today.

Archived