Mahomes

On 1/13/2019 at 10:28 AM, Fmbl2187 said:

Alex Smith was perfect for a talented team without a franchise QB.  If there isn't a franchise QB, there just isn't. The best you can do is an Alex Smith.  He won a hell of a lot of games for us.  He continues to win for us through his mentoring of Mahomes.  But yes.  To win in the playoffs takes a real franchise QB who can carry the whole team on his shoulders when necessary.

The only time the Chiefs had a shot at a top QB in the draft recently was 2013 when they had the first pick.  The top QB coming out was E. J. Manuel and the next was taken in the second round, Gino Smith.  Alex Smith was far and above whatever the Chiefs could have gotten elsewhere and the Chiefs made the playoffs four out of five years.  I'll never badmouth Alex Smith.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The only time the Chiefs had a shot at a top QB in the draft recently was 2013 when they had the first pick.  The top QB coming out was E. J. Manuel and the next was taken in the second round, Gino Smith.  Alex Smith was far and above whatever the Chiefs could have gotten elsewhere and the Chiefs made the playoffs four out of five years.  I'll never badmouth Alex Smith.

Me, either.  And we haven't seen the last of him in KC.  He might make a fine backup to Mahomes or a QB coach, maybe even an offensive coordinator, maybe even replace Reid, when he retires.  He will come back at some point in some capacity, because he knows the system backwards and forwards, is very smart, has leadership and locker room presence, media presence. As you say, he brought us back from a nightmare into a perennial contender. 

10 hours ago, MAUI said:

He's so much fun to watch..,He's like a shortstop in a quarterback's body.., Every throw he makes is like a high hop to first base.., THis is so much fun..,

every snap is a potential sportscenter highlight

been waiting for this for so long...

I like the idea of Smith coming back as a coach.  If the stories about his handling of Mahomes last season are accurate, there should be good rapport between them and Reid should trust Smith as well.  Hopefully, Smith will get another chance in DC, but if not, he belongs in KC.

44 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I like the idea of Smith coming back as a coach.  If the stories about his handling of Mahomes last season are accurate, there should be good rapport between them and Reid should trust Smith as well.  Hopefully, Smith will get another chance in DC, but if not, he belongs in KC.

Or maybe another year playing in DC, if he is able.  But I suspect we will see him back with the Chiefs as a coach at some point.  There is always the chance that he could be traded back or released while he can still be a backup player.  If so, I think he would be better than Chad Henne. It's possible that Reid might have told him that when Smith was traded.  Reid obviously had a great rapport with him,  strategically, with his playbook, and personally.

Archived