Can we sustain

Last week I made the bold prediction the the Chiefs Defense would step up. Well , they certainly did. ...... and no, Bob Sutton did not get kidnapped and a body double was on the sidelines. 

This was not a fluke or an anomaly.  Sutton put together a solid gameplan. I saw very little of them rushing 3 and dropping into coverage. Good penetration and solid tackling. Passing lanes were challenged at the line , resulting in 6 batted passes. Corners and safeties played solid coverage and the pass rush was relentless and best of all, almost no penalties.

We had seen some flashes of this during the season, but even then it was not an across the board solid defensive effort. This makes two games in a row. There is work yet to be done, so I will make another bold statement.

Chiefs will be playing in the Super Bowl. Mark it down. I will be like the team and focus solely on the next game. No matter who we face next week, I like our chances. This Defense is for real and it is sustainable. 

I think the difference has been getting young fast guys in the secondary, instead of Parker and Scandrick.  Ward and Lucas have made a huge difference, because they can cover guys, so our LB's don't have to drop back so much. They can play to their strengths and blast into gaps and limit runs.   Of course, it also helps that our biggest weakness, PI penalties and holding are not called so much in the late season and playoffs. The young guys can be a little more "handsy" and get away with it.  BTW, getting Fuller away from the Skins was an absolute coup. He's 23.  Going to be a top corner for years.

Keep the mojo going.  Sutton needs to break out the black hood again and go Darth Sutton on the next opponent.

It looks like the benching of Scandrick and Parker for Lucas and Ward has made a huge difference.

I just can't get over how well C. Ward has played and how fast he has developed.

Opponents will watch and adjust their offenses so we need to adjust our defense if we are to sustain the same level of play. Frankly nobody in the secondary came out playing bad. Youngsters looked like they were up to it, hopefully they keep playing well.

One thing I haven't seen any posts about but that I think was instrumental in setting the entire aggressive attitude that produced the victory was Reid's two early decisions to go for it on 4th and short.  It said to the rest of the team "screw it, we're going to put them on their heels and  stick them."  It made the Indy defense more scared. You could see it on their faces.  This was especially important after winning the toss  and stopping them three and out on their first possession of the game.  The worry started creeping over their faces immediately after we went for it twice. Kudos to Reid. He put them in a playoff mindset, not business as usual.

11 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

One thing I haven't seen any posts about but that I think was instrumental in setting the entire aggressive attitude that produced the victory was Reid's two early decisions to go for it on 4th and short.  It said to the rest of the team "screw it, we're going to put them on their heels and  stick them."  It made the Indy defense more scared. You could see it on their faces.  This was especially important after winning the toss  and stopping them three and out on their first possession of the game.  The worry started creeping over their faces immediately after we went for it twice. Kudos to Reid. He put them in a playoff mindset, not business as usual.

Kelce said in an interview it pumped them up to see Coach Reid go for it and believe into them. I saw it in Facebook and was loving it.

What makes me 100% confident that this is sustainable is that we are playing complimentary football.  It is scary, but after the quick start , the offense actually was making a lot of dumb mistakes and there were a ton of dropped passes that stalled drives.  The Defense was consistent .  I agree totally with the comment that the addition of Ward and Lucas on the Back End  have made a huge difference.   Seems like we are playing more aggressive,  plugging the running lanes and getting good penetration.  I saw only a few missed tackles.  Mostly if a guy got a hand on someone, they were stopped and the Defense did a good job of swarming to the ball. 

I am looking forward to seeing them play this coming week.  I expect them to be a really tough out and like our chances of advancing. 

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I noticed that, and by the 4th quarter they looked tired.

4 hours ago, dksww said:

Keep the mojo going.  Sutton needs to break out the black hood again and go Darth Sutton on the next opponent.

It looks like the benching of Scandrick and Parker for Lucas and Ward has made a huge difference.

I just can't get over how well C. Ward has played and how fast he has developed.

Dude has been really good and has improved every week.  

3 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

What makes me 100% confident that this is sustainable is that we are playing complimentary football.  It is scary, but after the quick start , the offense actually was making a lot of dumb mistakes and there were a ton of dropped passes that stalled drives.  The Defense was consistent .  I agree totally with the comment that the addition of Ward and Lucas on the Back End  have made a huge difference.   Seems like we are playing more aggressive,  plugging the running lanes and getting good penetration.  I saw only a few missed tackles.  Mostly if a guy got a hand on someone, they were stopped and the Defense did a good job of swarming to the ball. 

I am looking forward to seeing them play this coming week.  I expect them to be a really tough out and like our chances of advancing. 

Doc, good to have you back on the board after a long lay off. I've always liked your opinions. I think you make a great case here for the D as you said before the Indi game. Complementary football. This Chiefs team is confident, and we will see Arrowhead rocking and the Pats will have to match our intensity. I think we win by a few scores if we pull out early watch out.

The only scary moment yesterday was the Colts drive just before the half.  That's when the "here we go again on defense" crept in.  The Pats have a good line, but if Jones and Nnadi can get some push up the middle, the Chiefs can contain Brady as well as can be expected.  Vegas has the over/under at 58 so they're not expecting much defense by either team. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The only scary moment yesterday was the Colts drive just before the half.  That's when the "here we go again on defense" crept in.  The Pats have a good line, but if Jones and Nnadi can get some push up the middle, the Chiefs can contain Brady as well as can be expected.  Vegas has the over/under at 58 so they're not expecting much defense by either team. 

The Colts O-line are beasts.  If we could handle them, we should have plenty of confidence against the NE line.  Of course Brady is at least a grade above Luck even at his age.  Brady won't be intimidated like Luck was.  He's been there, done that. On the other hand, NE barely stayed with us even when our secondary sucked totally.  If that is their expectation, they won't quite be ready for the improved speed of Lucas and Ward.  In KC, I think the Chiefs have the edge.  Psychologically, I think the Pats are like "once more for the gipper."  Our attitude seems to be "its our time now." 

58 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

The Colts O-line are beasts.  If we could handle them, we should have plenty of confidence against the NE line.  Of course Brady is at least a grade above Luck even at his age.  Brady won't be intimidated like Luck was.  He's been there, done that. On the other hand, NE barely stayed with us even when our secondary sucked totally.  If that is their expectation, they won't quite be ready for the improved speed of Lucas and Ward.  In KC, I think the Chiefs have the edge.  Psychologically, I think the Pats are like "once more for the gipper."  Our attitude seems to be "its our time now." 

One interesting thing I noticed after going back and looking at it. During the Reid era, the Chiefs have not lost to the Pats when Justin Houston was healthy and starting. Both times, at Foxboro and Arrowhead the Chiefs kicked the living crap out of them, and Houston had multiple sacks of Brady. 

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Probably the Pats first choice was not to play the Chiefs in Arrowhead.  A little pressure on the GOAT and the noise will be immense.  Brady likes to call a lot at the line.  It won't be so easy in Arrowhead.

See this is a huge factor people miss. Cadences at the LOS. Brady changes the play so much pre snap. It will be interesting to see how he copes with Arrowhead where the Chiefs will be defending their founder's trophy in essence.

Arrowhead has proven to be the biggest home field advantage in the NFL by far this season when comparing home points given up vs road points. We never gave up 30 points at home to anyone.  Even in the expected really cold conditions, if we can continue that trend, I think we will win.  

Archived