I'm not trying to be a downer or gloom and doomer, but did we bog down the second half offensively because the Colts adjusted or was Red going back to shell mode that he has done historically in these kind of end game situations with a lead?  We have to be able to drive and score for 4 quarters against Brady and in the SB. Thoughts?

Handswarmer mentioned something similar.  

I just think the Colts have a solid D and they just buckled down and stopped the Chiefs a few times. The positive thing I saw is the Chiefs were still able to end the game with a long time-consuming drive late in the 4th quarter, ending with a TD.

32 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Drop balls killing momentum. 3 perfect balls.

barely missed a couple deep ones.

it was a little of both.

This.  People tend to automatically think Reid held the Chiefs back whenever they have a second half of "failure", but reality is these are NFL teams and they make adjustments that work from time to time. Also, dropped balls kill drives, even the best offenses. What matters most to me is that last TD drive. It sealed the Colts fate.

1 minute ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

This.  People tend to automatically think Reid held the Chiefs back whenever they have a second half of "failure", but reality is these are NFL teams and they make adjustments that work from time to time. Also, dropped balls kill drives, even the best offenses. What matters most to me is that last TD drive. It sealed the Colts fate.

Yep.....Patriots did the same thing against Chargers. No big deal.

The Chiefs bogged down in the third quarter and it wasn't Reid easing up.  Like several mentioned, it was a couple of drops and Mahomes had a little mid game slump.  With Williams picking up the yardage, I was actually wishing Reid would slow down the game even more.  There was one instance, IIRC< when it was second and two and they didn't run for it.  At that point the Chiefs just needed to keep possession and run clock so Reid certainly wasn't backing off.

We got ourselves caught in a couple of negative plays on RPOs. People can say they adjusted and we slumped but we ran the ball a lot that second half and slowed down the game.   They played better on d but we stopped being aggressive.   I think with the way our d was playing it was the right call.  A couple drops hurt too but we lost yards on a couple first downs and Mahomes was sacked once or twice.

I'm not worried!

I don't agree that its not a big deal. I believe we went 4 consecutive possessions to start the second half without scoring. This will need to be fixed. Reid needs to keep his offense on the field and pound the rock and keep knocking off first downs. We wore down the defense of the colts and that's exactly what we need to do to the pats. We have to score first and keep scoring. Keep our defense fresh.

48 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

I don't agree that its not a big deal. I believe we went 4 consecutive possessions to start the second half without scoring. This will need to be fixed. Reid needs to keep his offense on the field and pound the rock and keep knocking off first downs. We wore down the defense of the colts and that's exactly what we need to do to the pats. We have to score first and keep scoring. Keep our defense fresh.

Even though we did not score we used up over 15 minutes on those 4 drives. Our first drive alone had 630 time used. That keeps the defense fresh too.

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Even though we did not score we used up over 15 minutes on those 4 drives. Our first drive alone had 630 time used. That keeps the defense fresh too.

I agree, but it would have been nice to put points in the board. Especially since Brady can go off at any moment even if it looks like the D is handling them like yesterday.  Can't ever fall into a lull against the Pats.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

those 4 pos did use some clock but it’s the fact that we need to convert and win on 3rd down and at least score on one or two. 

pats chiefs and rams all ran the ball very well. it’s interesting to note that the pats won the coin toss and decided to recieve and try to score first which they did. this will be key for us. along with the money down on both sides of the ball.   

every possession counts and yes the other team gets paid too. 

58 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

those 4 pos did use some clock but it’s the fact that we need to convert and win on 3rd down and at least score on one or two. 

pats chiefs and rams all ran the ball very well. it’s interesting to note that the pats won the coin toss and decided to recieve and try to score first which they did. this will be key for us. along with the money down on both sides of the ball.   

every possession counts and yes the other team gets paid too. 

I think they received first because Pats wanted the LAC offense to have to stand out there not moving in the cold. They're a warm weather team and Bill wanted to take advantageof it. Stiffen them up again...psych edge I imagine. Just like he had a thermometer installed outside their locker room...head games 

If Reid had been more aggressive in the third quarter with a 17 point lead and Mahomes had thrown a pick six, everyone would have gone nuts.  Didn't that happen when the Chiefs led the Colts in a playoff game a few years ago?  Burning clock with a three score lead is just common sense and as stated earlier, Andy didn't exactly shut down the offense.  A few drops and a slightly overthrown pass made it look worse than it was.

Archived