4 for 14 on 3rd down

6 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Andy’s aggressiveness bailed us out as we actually moved the chains in 7 of these 14 drives which is acceptable.  

This is entirely debatable, but is going for it on 4th and 1 aggressive?  I don’t think so. If you’re a good offensive team, and offense is your identity, you should be able to pick up a yard. If he were going for it on 4th and 5 at our own 40, I’d call that aggressive. I really feel like Andy has lost his aggression in recent weeks and has really toned it down. That’s one area I find concerning moving into the the title game. 

12 minutes ago, sith13 said:

It was an interesting approach. Unlike the regular season we had some very conservative 3rd down plays that fell short but still had the aggressiveness to go for it in 4th. 

The 3rd down plays were there to give us a shot though at 4th. Not like we tried to go for it 3 and 6th with a 15 yards pass that missed and we punted. I like he got the yards he could get to put us in position to go for it on 4th downs.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The 3rd down plays were there to give us a shot though at 4th. Not like we tried to go for it 3 and 6th with a 15 yards pass that missed and we punted. I like he got the yards he could get to put us in position to go for it on 4th downs.

Yep, but during the season this wasn't a common approach. We had quite a bit of plays behind the marker aimed at YAC. Reid might have planned this approach based on the Colts defense and their inability to stop short gains. 

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

This is entirely debatable, but is going for it on 4th and 1 aggressive?  I don’t think so. If you’re a good offensive team, and offense is your identity, you should be able to pick up a yard. If he were going for it on 4th and 5 at our own 40, I’d call that aggressive. I really feel like Andy has lost his aggression in recent weeks and has really toned it down. That’s one area I find concerning moving into the the title game. 

lol

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

exactly

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

I think you have a point about the 4th and 1 calls, but we did actually go for a 4th and 5 near midfield later in the game.  You are so committed to the bit about Andy going conservative and "turtling" that I don't think you see it objectively or with any nuance.  We led by 3 scores for the vast majority of the game.  Only once we were about to give them the ball back up only two scores, and then we got the penalty on the punt and finished them off.  We were running the ball at least somewhat effectively, killing time while the Colts seemed to be willing to do the same.  It's so funny because one of the knocks against Andy in the past was that he WOULDN'T kill clock with the lead.

I do agree we'll probably have to be a bit more aggressive against the Patriots, but I honestly thought we played this one just fine.  Our sputtering in the second half was more about execution - pass protection and penalties - than playcalling IMO.

52 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I think you have a point about the 4th and 1 calls, but we did actually go for a 4th and 5 near midfield later in the game.  You are so committed to the bit about Andy going conservative and "turtling" that I don't think you see it objectively or with any nuance.  We led by 3 scores for the vast majority of the game.  Only once we were about to give them the ball back up only two scores, and then we got the penalty on the punt and finished them off.  We were running the ball at least somewhat effectively, killing time while the Colts seemed to be willing to do the same.  It's so funny because one of the knocks against Andy in the past was that he WOULDN'T kill clock with the lead.

I do agree we'll probably have to be a bit more aggressive against the Patriots, but I honestly thought we played this one just fine.  Our sputtering in the second half was more about execution - pass protection and penalties - than playcalling IMO.

Good post. I do get his concern with the blown Chargers game still pretty fresh in our memory.  But it’s not like we just started running the ball into short drives and punting as we did down the stretch there. 

Offense just made a lot of unforced errors with errant throws, drops and breakdowns in pass protection in the second half. But they also rolled to a 17-0 lead with three long time consuming drives and aggressive play calling. That Cover 2 defense they were playing is designed to take away big plays that are our calling card. As a group and certainly our young QB didn’t force issue and made the Colts beat us rather than beating ourselves.

And the late drive is how Championship teams close.  

I said then and still believe it true now that blowing the lead to the Chargers was the best thing to do and get out of the way. It sent chills down all their spines, refocused them and had Sutton losing it seems some of his coaching status to others. 

21 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I said then and atill believe it true now that blowing the lead to the Chargers was the best thing to do and get out of the way. It sent chills down all their spines, refocused them and had Sutton losing it seems some of his coaching status to others. 

I would be more inclined to believe this if we hadn't looked pretty bad against Seattle 10 days later.

44 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I would be more inclined to believe this if we hadn't looked pretty bad against Seattle 10 days later.

We are just a different team on the road on the defensive end. I agree that the Chargers game felt like a home playoff loss with a mulligan. 

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

We are just a different team on the road on the defensive end.

To shift the topic slightly, this is something I have been thinking a LOT about for weeks.  18 ppg allowed vs. like 35 on the road I believe?  One reason I like our chances this week, but a reason for worry in the Super Bowl if we get there.

7 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

To shift the topic slightly, this is something I have been thinking a LOT about for weeks.  18 ppg allowed vs. like 35 on the road I believe?  One reason I like our chances this week, but a reason for worry in the Super Bowl if we get there.

Super Bowl?  Don't talk to me about Super Bowl.

...until after Sunday  😄

Archived