Top 25 Free Agents -

3 hours ago, dksww said:

If we extend Jones and HIll in the off-season, can they keep their current 2019 cap hit(rookie deal) and have the new deal start in 2020(higher cap hit)?

They must play out their rookie deals to actually earn the new contract. So they still earn their rookie deal but the team can use the season to absorb some of the signing bonus. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

They must play out their rookie deals to actually earn the new contract. So they still earn their rookie deal but the team can use the season to absorb some of the signing bonus. 

Get them signed, absorb what we can then and take the lower cap hits later. If we need money we have plenty if it and can always restructure Houston or Berry too if need be. 

5 minutes ago, ChiefThunder said:

I'd give up a pick for Collins if/when he gets franchised to be the successor to Berry. If not Collins, definitely ET. Then again, we don't know what we have in Watts.....and Lucas is playing solid IMO

Being linked in some drafts to Thompson S from Alabama too

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

I'd give up a pick for Collins if/when he gets franchised to be the successor to Berry. If not Collins, definitely ET. Then again, we don't know what we have in Watts.....and Lucas is playing solid IMO

I'll be stunned if Collins gets out of NY, but he's an absolute stud. Pair him with Watts and have Lucas as you third safety, fourth corner and our secondary could be lethal. 

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I'll be stunned if Collins gets out of NY, but he's an absolute stud. Pair him with Watts and have Lucas as you third safety, fourth corner and our secondary could be lethal. 

He is the best young safety in the league, except for maybe James, and they are rebuilding.  I can’t see them not tagging him.  Or negotiating a deal.

Love to have him, though.

6 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Get them signed, absorb what we can then and take the lower cap hits later. If we need money we have plenty if it and can always restructure Houston or Berry too if need be. 

At this point it's a decision to be made about our window for a SB. If Veach thinks we can win the SB with a couple big FAs within the next couple years we have the option of not absorbing any bonus and giving them a low base salary for the first year would mean having both guys on the roster for minimal cap hit until 2021. The other option is as you mentioned absorbing some of that hit as soon as next year so we will have an easier time when Mahomes becomes a factor in the cap. 

I love how the new CBA gives the teams so many incentives with their own rookies. A lot less drama and actually better football in terms of rookies as they aren't allowed to hold out either. 

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

At this point it's a decision to be made about our window for a SB. If Veach thinks we can win the SB with a couple big FAs within the next couple years we have the option of not absorbing any bonus and giving them a low base salary for the first year would mean having both guys on the roster for minimal cap hit until 2021. The other option is as you mentioned absorbing some of that hit as soon as next year so we will have an easier time when Mahomes becomes a factor in the cap. 

I love how the new CBA gives the teams so many incentives with their own rookies. A lot less drama and actually better football in terms of rookies as they aren't allowed to hold out either. 

Well we are a damn good team right now and we should sign what we have. Tag Ford and make him show us again and a new DC will not affect the cap, which I think does wonders for us. Drafting would get us that piece or 2 and the development of the young guys coming on this year plus a healthy Berry is huge. I think we absorb the contracts and go restructuring if we need that one guy.

Landon Collins is overrated.  Not good in coverage this year.  I think the NFL is headed to a place where you will want multiple safeties who are good in coverage, even if they're a little on the light side.  Don't think Collins fits that bill.  Rather have a guy like Lamarcus Joyner in coverage.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

Landon Collins is overrated.  Not good in coverage this year.  I think the NFL is headed to a place where you will want multiple safeties who are good in coverage, even if they're a little on the light side.  Don't think Collins fits that bill.  Rather have a guy like Lamarcus Joyner in coverage.  

Watched a few giants games this year, he looks slow as well. Not a fan. Jmo 

Archived