Colts Offense: Pats Offense. Whats different?

Serious question. Talking heads seem to think the Pats will run all over KC and dink & dunk with success. Was that not the Colts plan?Did the Colts not have the great oline?  Was not the Colts QB Mr get the pass out fast guy? Help me understand the difference. Seems to me, I am usually wrong, these offenses are much the same.

So would not the same defense game plan we saw last week work against the pats?

15 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Kc plays man on 80+ percent of their snaps over the course of the 2018 regular season according to Greg Cosell. (Who is a great source, love that guy)

as for the colts it looked like a lot of man to man imo.

Yeah my understanding was we were aggressive and in man against the Colts.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Yeah my understanding was we were aggressive and in man against the 

Ya at the time I was surprised by that statement of that much zone. It was probably a mistake. On looking back with are last meeting with the pats, for what it's worth the pats had 10 days to prepare for us having played on a Thursday before.

Chris Jones is the most important part of this game.  If he's getting pressure up the middle, Brady will have a long day because it will disrupt those fast inside throws.  It's much easier to offensively scheme and compensate for edge rushers than it is a guy that can get downhill right in the middle. If he has an off day, there's a good chance we get shredded.  No pressure buddy!

5 hours ago, moons314 said:

Chris Jones is the most important part of this game.  If he's getting pressure up the middle, Brady will have a long day because it will disrupt those fast inside throws.  It's much easier to offensively scheme and compensate for edge rushers than it is a guy that can get downhill right in the middle. If he has an off day, there's a good chance we get shredded.  No pressure buddy!

This is why I think we may go DL replacement in FA or draft for Bailey. Imagine another DE that can do what Jones is doing on this line. 

I used to be really into that stuff but, I'm not sure what offense the Colts run.  According to pro-football-ref it's the West Coast.

The Pats run the Erhardt-Perkins system. Even if they're the same, I think the talking heads believe the Pats will just execute better and not make the mistakes the Colts did. 

The Colts abandoned the run game early in the game, when they got behind. They tried it later but made it worse because they were eating up clock, and the Chiefs were just stopping them and getting off the field.

Both previous times, the Chiefs beat the Pats by getting heavy pressure on Brady. For as good as Brady is, he really plays bad when pressured & hit. If he has time, it seems almost impossible to stop him. 

From what I've seen and read about, a lot of these NFL offenses use different nomenclature & concepts but the routes and blocking schemes are similar. Some teams stick to what they do and do it well, along with borrowing stuff from other teams hear and there.

Bottom line, the Patriots are going to do their job, do it very well, and execute whatever game plan Bellichik has.  That's the belief IMO.

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

All good info & comments. My question now is ....is the Pats offense similar to the Colts?

I think the colts have a more downfield attack and rely on their WR’s and Ebron.  Pats rely on the quick hitters with rb’s and slot wr (Edelman) which is a different offense to defend.  Brady will get the ball out quick which is why some is pointless, Jones is more important then the outside pass rush because of this.  I also suspect we will let Houston rush from the interior in 3rd and long situations like he did to get the big 3rd down sack on Luck. 

4 minutes ago, qnet said:

I used to be really into that stuff but, I'm not sure what offense the Colts run.  According to pro-football-ref it's the West Coast.

The Pats run the Erhardt-Perkins system. Even if they're the same, I think the talking heads believe the Pats will just execute better and not make the mistakes the Colts did. 

The Colts abandoned the run game early in the game, when they got behind. They tried it later but made it worse because they were eating up clock, and the Chiefs were just stopping them and getting off the field.

Both previous times, the Chiefs beat the Pats by getting heavy pressure on Brady. For as good as Brady is, he really plays bad when pressured & hit. If he has time, it seems almost impossible to stop him. 

From what I've seen and read about, a lot of these NFL offenses use different nomenclature & concepts but the routes and blocking schemes are similar. Some teams stick to what they do and do it well, along with borrowing stuff from other teams hear and there.

Bottom line, the Patriots are going to do their job, do it very well, and execute whatever game plan Bellichik has.  That's the belief IMO.

Thanks good insight. At this point I think KC can execute a similar defense scheme against the Brady as they used against Luck. The Pats oline may not be as good as Colts so the results should be equal or better.

4 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Thanks good insight. At this point I think KC can execute a similar defense scheme against the Brady as they used against Luck. The Pats oline may not be as good as Colts so the results should be equal or better.

I hope you're right.

IMO, the key defensive players for the chiefs are Chris Jones and DOD..(Now Hitchens)

Jones bringing pressure up the middle and Hitchens ability to cover White out of the backfield.

We don't /won't play a lot of zone, so Eldeman/Hogan doesn't scare me that much. Gronk will get his 3-4 catches.

But the key to me is stopping that damn Back coming out of the backfield. Those are like successful running plays that chew TONS of clock.

35 minutes ago, artsy said:

IMO, the key defensive players for the chiefs are Chris Jones and DOD..(Now Hitchens)

Jones bringing pressure up the middle and Hitchens ability to cover White out of the backfield.

We don't /won't play a lot of zone, so Eldeman/Hogan doesn't scare me that much. Gronk will get his 3-4 catches.

But the key to me is stopping that damn Back coming out of the backfield. Those are like successful running plays that chew TONS of clock.

I agree with what you said except about Eldeman. I think part of the reason he's so successful is people underestimate him.  He's a tough/shifty little receiver,  who always seems to get open and, is hard to tackle and get down. 

Archived