Nervous?

I’ve gotten calls and texts from people literally all over the country who have tailgated with us at one time or another.  Some i haven’t seen in years telling me stories stories like in Kent Babbs column about how their Grandpa or Dad or Uncle took them to their first game and they’ve been hooked through thick and thin every since.

This is just a kids game, but the moment transcends generations and clearly means so much more. It’s served to remind me this team first and foremost provides a platform to bring people and an entire community together. And in these times that is priceless. 

At the same time all this hype and nostalgia has honestly caused me to go from calm and confident to flat nervous.  Seems almost silly, but is what it is. 

4 hours ago, mex said:

any Chiefs fan that ain't nervous has little experience or too much confidence

these kids saying they have been waiting this for 25 years... are cracking me up

we've been to an AFC Championship once since 1970

I'm an old fart but I waited 23 years until Joe took us to Buffalo, and Martyball with assistance from Kimble "catch the fucking ball" Anders, lost the game. I would have never dreamed in my worst fucking nightmare that it would be another 25 years until the next AFC Championship. 

Perspective is EVERYTHING

That said, I had no such expectations this season.

If we win, it will be EPIC. If not, I'll take it. We have an absolute thoroughbred at QB... the likes of which we haven't seen since Lenny the Cool. If we don'twin tomorrow, I'm not going to be disappointed. This season has been a huge success. It was about BUILDING a powerhouse. The cornerstones are in. All we need are a few more studs. 

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

I expected 9-7 at best this year, with a SB run next year or the year after. So, anything this season is gravy.

Still nervous, though. 

I’m not nervous.  I know the goal is a title, but for me personally, as much as I’d like a title, it’s more about getting the max number of games.  I’ve loved watching the chiefs for so long I just want more games, and if we lose tomorrow we will have been just one short of the maximum playable games.  It’s three hours where my world stops, the adulting goes away, and I can get excited like a little kid and yell.  Of course I’ll be disappointed if we lose, but I’ve had a blast immersing myself  in sports talk radio all week and waiting for the game. This is what it’s all about. 

I'm nervous and excited.  I really think the Chiefs can get it done today, but the Patriots are tough and very experienced.  Hoping the talent level of the Chiefs is too much for the Pats.

I hope everyone enjoys the game.

Go Chiefs!

Eh, not at all.

Look, it's just different this time compared to the last oh 50 years.  

The Chiefs made a lot of bizarro decisions over the decades and it felt like it was a Christmas miracle if they even made the playoffs, much less won it.

This time around they have the solution to be in it every year and they finally addressed the issue keeping them from advancing.

This isn't the only AFC title game they will be in.  Can't get nervous.

The Alex Smith, Matt Cassel, Tyler Thispen, Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard, Trent Green, Elvis Grbac, Steve Bono, etc etc etc eras are over.  If you look at that list....outside of one QB on it, that list was shit.  It's over now.  Embrace it.

1 hour ago, wilkie said:

I am too.   I am wearing my #16 Dawson jersey.  Hope it is lucky.  Been a very long dry spell

I'm breaking out the Buck Buchanan jersey I wore to Arrowhead for the two games I attended there. We won both games when I wore it, so what the heck.

Also have my Willie Lanier autographed mini helmet next to the TV for added mojo.

1 minute ago, moons314 said:

I hope we get better officiating than the NFC championship game.  The Saints got SCREWED.  We're gonna hear all week about how the NFL was trying to get LA to the Super Bowl. 

It's really hard not to believe that right now, and I hate it. What' frustrating to me is they will get away with it. In all the football I've watched, it's no explanation for this.

Archived