Chiefs Rumors: Latest on Tyreek Hill, Dee Ford, Chris Jones Contracts and Future

20 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

It'll be wrecked.  I realistically don't think we can pay all 3, so I got a feeling that Dee could be a possible tag and trade candidate.

Don’t agree

ill take a look but I believe it should be easy to do AND have extra left over.

1 hour ago, Balto said:

Don’t agree

ill take a look but I believe it should be easy to do AND have extra left over.

You can disagree until you're blue in the face, but in no way will they be able to handle paying around 20m avg to Tyreek and Chris Jones than 13+ to Berry (ideas of cutting him this offseason is pure delusion), 20 to Dee Ford and continue paying 20 to Justin Houston.  That's nearly 50% of the entire cap for just 5 players.  It's not sustainable.

Fuller and Schwartz will need new deals over the next couple years and they will have to start budgeting for a Pat Mahomes extension, that will absolutely be an NFL record contract.  Spending like crazy is not sustainable at all.

They will also need to sign draft classes, retain lower tier players and sign guys to fill injuries.  That's also saying they wouldn't sign a single FA for years on end.

16 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

You can disagree until you're blue in the face, but in no way will they be able to handle paying around 20m avg to Tyreek and Chris Jones than 13+ to Berry (ideas of cutting him this offseason is pure delusion), 20 to Dee Ford and continue paying 20 to Justin Houston.  That's nearly 50% of the entire cap for just 5 players.  It's not sustainable.

Fuller and Schwartz will need new deals over the next couple years and they will have to start budgeting for a Pat Mahomes extension, that will absolutely be an NFL record contract.  Spending like crazy is not sustainable at all.

They will also need to sign draft classes, retain lower tier players and sign guys to fill injuries.  That's also saying they wouldn't sign a single FA for years on end.

-Why is cutting Berry delusional? Saves $9.55M

-I also believe Houston will restructure, add a few years to contract and finish up as a Chief.

-Tag Ford won’t cost $20M lololol

-Just because Hill and Jones could avg $20M a year(don’t see it btw haha) that doesn’t mean you have to give them exactly $20M a year lol....but your not a NFL GM so I don’t expect you to understand.

what you didn’t mention and what I find the biggest hurdle is Watkins contract.  It’s made up so that if traded we save the most cap hit.  I do not see Veach making Hill a top 3 highest paid WR while also giving Watkins $20M a year.  Sammy could restructure himself, adding years to his short contract because of how well he knows he has it in KC with Mahomes.  OR Sammy could be traded and save about $12M for 2019 IF we find a team willing to giving up picks/players and pay him $12M /shrug who knows with his history of injuries.

Reguardless it’s not as black and white as you put it and until we pay Mahomes $30+ million a year we can make all this work pretty easily 

I wouldn't think next years contracts for Hill and Jones would be even close to 20.  Remember they are still on their rookie deal next year so paying Hill 5 million would be way better than the 500,000 he's making this year.   Gotta remember one freak injury and these guys careers could be over.   There is some incentive to extend.   Jones is in the same boat though he's already made a few million.    The one that scares me a bit is the 200 million being thrown around after next year for Mahomes.   Curious how that would be structured but Houston and Berry would both be gone which would free up a good bit of room.    In the next 2-3 years its going tobe important we hit on a couple players each draft or we will look like the Packers who can't protect Rodgers or who don't have the talent on D to stop anyone.    Still though with a qb like Mahomes we will always have a chance to win games.  

Finally, the Chiefs might be trying to keep the gang together for one last year knowing they can free up a bunch of players (Houston, Berry, Watkins, and Ford if they tag him after 2019).   Can't blame the front office if the D continues to play the way they have the last two games.    Obviously that could change depending on their performance tonight as well.   

19 minutes ago, Balto said:

-Why is cutting Berry delusional? Saves $9.55M

-I also believe Houston will restructure, add a few years to contract and finish up as a Chief.

-Tag Ford won’t cost $20M lololol

-Just because Hill and Jones could avg $20M a year(don’t see it btw haha) that doesn’t mean you have to give them exactly $20M a year lol....but your not a NFL GM so I don’t expect you to understand.

what you didn’t mention and what I find the biggest hurdle is Watkins contract.  It’s made up so that if traded we save the most cap hit.  I do not see Veach making Hill a top 3 highest paid WR while also giving Watkins $20M a year.  Sammy could restructure himself, adding years to his short contract because of how well he knows he has it in KC with Mahomes.  OR Sammy could be traded and save about $12M for 2019 IF we find a team willing to giving up picks/players and pay him $12M /shrug who knows with his history of injuries.

Reguardless it’s not as black and white as you put it and until we pay Mahomes $30+ million a year we can make all this work pretty easily 

It's pretty clear cut.

Dee Ford is a top tier edge rusher, Chris Jones is a top tier DT and Tyreek Hill is a top tier WR.  Extending them all is going to avg around 20m a season and sure you can backload a deal but realistically that's just kicking a can down the road.

Sure Sammy could be traded and might, but they still will have long term cap complications.

You're not an NFL GM either, but it doesn't take a genius to figure it out either.  Look at the teams hiring guys off TV.

You just can't sign guys over and over with the unlimited funds you don't have.  

As for Berry, you can't be that delusional to think Clark Hunt is going to cut bait at this point on a guy he personally got signed and will be good to go Week 1?  If so, give me some of what you're smoking.

30 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Give Mahomes 10 years 250.  That locks everything down for a decade and given qb salaries is fair for everyone imo.  The kid is going to make twice that in endorsements and appearances in his career. 

and watch him get hurt the next year.. Raiders give that kind of  Contract and thats why they are stupid

46 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Give Mahomes 10 years 250.  That locks everything down for a decade and given qb salaries is fair for everyone imo.  The kid is going to make twice that in endorsements and appearances in his career. 

No agent would ever agree to a 10 year contract imo. The market changes too frequently to lock a client into that long of a contract. 

9 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

No agent would ever agree to a 10 year contract imo. The market changes too frequently to lock a client into that long of a contract. 

Matters if that agent gets paid upfront or not haha

55 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Not necessarily true.  A player has the final say.  It’s a gamble for both sides.  Player could hurt himself next week and never get that second contract.  Basically you’re giving up some on the back end for security.  Throw in endorsements and such and Mahomes would likely take in a half billion dollars over the next decade.  That would easily surpass any player in any sport.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

Mahomes seems to be very appreciative of the fact that this organization believed in him and put him in the best possible position to succeed, so I would guess there is a tiny chance he would give us some sort of hometown discount so that we can win.  The far more likely scenario is that he and he agent will be looking to break the bank, and there's no way $25M will be the going rate.  The numbers on his contract may very well be that TOTAL but over more like 6-7 years.

3 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Not necessarily true.  A player has the final say.  It’s a gamble for both sides.  Player could hurt himself next week and never get that second contract.  Basically you’re giving up some on the back end for security.  Throw in endorsements and such and Mahomes would likely take in a half billion dollars over the next decade.  That would easily surpass any player in any sport.  

There is no "back end" security in football.  Now, if he could get something fully guaranteed or close to it like Cousins, then maybe he would take a significant discount for the security.

Archived