It was a good season

Great season.  Most had us 8-8ish with how bad this defense is and the unknowns of Mahomes.  

At least we know Mahomes is the real deal.

Chiefs need to make changes to the defense and this team will be a powerhouse for years to come.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great season when considering the expectations but getting to the AFC ship isn't a given and we had every opportunity to win.  We were outcoached and made one too many undisciplined errors.   So it is both a great season and yet still disappointing.   The future is a lot brighter but how bright depends on some tough decisions the front office needs to make.    Starting with canning Bob Sutton!

4 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

If we're gonna end up paying the kid 200 mill we need to win a SB now. Otherwise we'll be stuck with depleted rosters Seattle, GB and other franchises who have paid out "franchise QB " money.

This will end being a bargain he continues to play like this. After a couple others are done and anything paid up front it will look like a great deal. Thing is pay what we can now, structure it accordingly for later so we have cap space to use and not get caught between contracts

Sign Hill, Jones etc now. Draft well and when this hits we will have the core locked up and hopefully other FA flock here like they do for NE with our QB and the team atmosphere etc

11 hours ago, Calichief said:

Great season. Felt like the defense would hurt us at some point.

shocked about getting shut out in the first half at home. That hurt a lot. Really messed with momentum 

the game was lost in the first half

funny how a coin flip can determine the champion... we win that OT flip... odds are we win the game

Far exceeded my expectations.

Was I/am I upset as hell about the loss?  Absolutely.

But when I take a moment to be honest with myself, I never saw us in this game at the beginning of the season.

And despite all of the fuckuppery, we damn near won the game.

Mind-boggling when you think about it.

Far exceeded all rational expectations....While there are lots of raw emotions right now lets hope they take the time to do the proper evaluations and get it right.

This is the best team we have fielded since the 1990's.

The O-line is solid

MVP at QB

Williams proved he can be the man.

Tyreek Hill is the best playmaker in the NFL

Kelce is the best TE in football

Jones and Ford are keepers on D, but everyone else has to be evaluated against the new DC's scheme.

w

Really good season that far surpassed my expectations and delivered the biggest possible home game you can play in right to our doorstep. 

Run defense was our Achilles heal all season and ultimately cost us. Scheme that has a proven hitter in Hitchens becoming hittee sums up a big part of that in my opinion.  

Another year of seasoning for Mahomes and all the main principals returning mean our offense should be special in 2019. Gotta fix some of the defensive issues to move forward and that’s needs to include a new vision at DC.  

11 minutes ago, West said:

Far exceeded all rational expectations....While there are lots of raw emotions right now lets hope they take the time to do the proper evaluations and get it right.

The O-line is solid

MVP at QB

Jones and Ford are keepers on D, but everyone else has to be evaluated against the new DC's scheme.

w

Good post, but I'm sorry, there's more than just 2 good players on defense.

I'm sure a confident DC could've gotten this defense into the top 18 of total defense this year in yards and PPG.

Imo, Jones, Ford, Houston, Hithcens, Fuller, Nelson(free agent), Ward, Berry and even Sorenson are enough to build next year's defense around.

Throw in another off-season for O'Daniel and a draft and they should have enough to get the defense going.

No question there are more than 2 "good players" on defense.  The question I am reflecting on is "are the other players the right players?"

Until we know the DC and the scheme, its hard to say.  I would agree that Kendall Fuller is a solid cover guy and should stick around.

Nelson comes down to $ vs value.  Berry is all about "availability".

Hitchens, Ragland, Dirty Dan and Jusitn Houston all have to be reviewed vs scheme and $$/per postion.

w

6 minutes ago, West said:

No question there are more than 2 "good players" on defense.  The question I am reflecting on is "are the other players the right players?"

Until we know the DC and the scheme, its hard to say.  I would agree that Kendall Fuller is a solid cover guy and should stick around.

Nelson comes down to $ vs value.  Berry is all about "availability".

Hitchens, Ragland, Dirty Dan and Jusitn Houston all have to be reviewed vs scheme and $$/per postion.

w

Ragland will get cut IMO.  But the other 3 won't because they cost too much to move on from this year and would create holes we would have to replace costing even more.

Hithcens has been very productive until he signed with the Chiefs playing under Sutton.

Here's my plan:

1)  Fire Bob Sutton

2) Sign free agents and draft accordingly to build around Jones, Ford, Houston, Hitchens, Fuller, Ward, Berry and Sorenson.

3)  Consider bringing Back Nelson and Lucas(not sure if he's a FA or not).

47 minutes ago, West said:

The O-line is solid

MVP at QB

w

I have to add  WATKINS is extremely important part of our offense.   Leading Chiefs receiver got the edge rushers off Mahomes.

58 minutes ago, West said:

The O-line is solid

MVP at QB

w

Hard for me to disagree with any of your points.

The Chiefs can and probably will fill a few holes (ILB, CB, safety) and will be better next year than this year.

Mahomes will improve, and it's hard to imagine he guy getting any better, but he will. 

13 hours ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

I don't think it does in terms of players. It's just so damn predictable. Listening to Tony Romo call at plays based on what he was seeing and then watching Brady execute just as Romo said... the scheme is too predictable. 

I agree with you.  I think most of the pieces of the defence are in place, I think we need better coaching.  And I don't think it is just about scheme; I don't think our players have been properly coached on assignments, what to look for when the offence lines up and how to adjust.  It was startling to see Berry yelling at players to get them properly lined up late in the season and how Romo could see what was coming but the defence could not.  We had better talent than the Patriots in all three phases of the game, but we were simply out coached.

10 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

I agree with you.  I think most of the pieces of the defence are in place, I think we need better coaching.  And I don't think it is just about scheme; I don't think our players have been properly coached on assignments, what to look for when the offence lines up and how to adjust.  It was startling to see Berry yelling at players to get them properly lined up late in the season and how Romo could see what was coming but the defence could not.  We had better talent than the Patriots in all three phases of the game, but we were simply out coached.

Gotta agree with you.

Our D had serious issues all season

1)Poor in any type of adjustments(NE running game mauling us/no pass rush/no bumping of NE wrs off the line to disrupt timing,etc)

2) Poor tackling(all year missed tackles) That's why we were last in D

3) Penalty-prone (I swear we had so many PI calls on us this year. Also I don't remember the Chiefs ever being penalized soo much throughout the whole season, that's what the Raiders do)

4) Highly undisciplined (Never being in position, blow coverages)

This boils down to the D Coordinator not getting these guys in place to succeed.  

26 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Hard for me to disagree with any of your points.

The Chiefs can and probably will fill a few holes (ILB, CB, safety) and will be better next year than this year.

Mahomes will improve, and it's hard to imagine he guy getting any better, but he will. 

Mahomes can still improve a lot in his presnap reads to make things easier on himself.  A game like yesterday where they try to keep him in the pocket won’t work out nearly as well the better he gets at recognizing what the defense is doing. He’s truly a once in a generation type of talent nowhere near his peak yet.  It’s why we need to build the defense the right way and not just throw band aids at it in my opinion.  

Archived