Team needs going into offseason

High priority

OG- getting LDT back will be good.  Is Wylie good enough? 

CB- I like ward.  And fuller as a nickel. But we need another stud. 

Priority

DL- we need someone to pair with Jones inside.  Could Speaks be the guy? 

ILB- Ragland needs to go.  Would Hitchens be better with new scheme and playing as the thumper with DOD next to him? Can DOD add some size and strength to be full time? I hope. 

S- I like Lucas. Interested in watts, hate Murray, done with berry, and dan is a sub and special teams guy.  Could Lucas and watts start with dan as a backup? Bring in another centerfielder type?

RB- I le Williams but for some reason he doesn't feel like a #1 back.  I wish we could have seen Daryl Williams more.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty we should overhaul it all.     Cut Houston, designate Berry as a June 1st cut and tag and trade or cut him loose.

High Priority

New DC

Switch to a 4-3

Kpass to end with Speaks and Jones and Nandi playing the interior and Ford or a draft pick playing the other end.

Needs

S- Need another one to play with Watts and Lucas.

CB - opposite Ward and Fuller in slot

ILB - Rags is out

DL - Develop

DE - Top priority so when ford leaves

C - Wylie, Mackenzie and Erving can battle out for LG and LDT has RG.   We need a guy to replace Morse

RB - Compliment to Williams - a super fast speedster.

TE/WR - Keep replenishing receiving corp.  Watkins will be gone after 2019.

8 big needs.   We have 4 legit picks in the first 3 rounds who could fill those and that 5th rounder has generally been decent as well.

With money saved you could ext Jones and Hill and sign a couple FA's to fill those needs.

If we are too you on D get an Earl Thomas who has actually been on a good D and knows what that looks like to play center field.

Get that D overhauled and we be ballin!

That Defense would suck even more than the one we already have lmao

Here's what you do.

Shoot Bob Sutton out of a fucking cannon, directly into the sun.

Rex Ryan is your plan A, Mike Nolan is your Plan B for new DC

Let them pick their own staff

-Send Sammy Watkins to the Jacksonville Jaguars in a straight swap for AJ Bouye.  Both teams need to even out their respective lagging squads.  Bouye is your #1 CB and Ward is #2, while Watkins+Lee+Westbrook is a good speed trio for the next Jax QB.

-Franchise Dee Ford at the very last moment as a LB and quickly trade him before he can get in a grievance to get DE pay.  The Bucs are moving to a 3-4 and have nothing to work with, so send him there for a haul of Day 2 picks. 2+4 2019, cond 3rd 2020--tampa needs some insta producers because Arians is all win now 

-Cut Sorensen loose and let Berry rehab and hope for a rebound 

-Roll the dice with Shane Ray and let him, Tanoh and Speaks duke it out.  

-Make Sheldon Richardson your big FA acquisition.  I have no idea why they didn't a year ago.

-Draft Lawrence in the first.  Elgton Jenki s, Tre Lamar and Julian Love in the 2nd round.  WR Emanuel Hall in the 3rd.

-Extend Tyreek Hill and let Chris Jones prove he can finish a season not on the sideline before offering the big money.

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

How can you suck even more than the one we had when we are dead last in almost every category?  

We can't tackle and we can't execute but by all means lets keep all the same guys around.

19 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

How can you suck even more than the one we had when we are dead last in almost every category?  

We can't tackle and we can't execute but by all means lets keep all the same guys around.

Apparently it’s all the dc fault and we’d be top ten with someone else. Seriously though , this defense just isn’t as talented as people want to believe. 

22 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

They were a high tier in sacks.  The solution to that issue isn't to make things worse than decide to add on.

17 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Apparently it’s all the dc fault and we’d be top ten with someone else. Seriously though , this defense just isn’t as talented as people want to believe. 

I agree. To get this bad, it has to be the DC and lack of talent. What bothers me most is Andy just lets it get worse and worse. 

2 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

What's worse is Dirty Dan was our best defensive player tonight. Let that sink in.

I'm not too surprised.  While Dirty Dan is a jag, I think he's self-aware about it and relies on what he knows and sees instead of trying to just out athlete to make an impact.

He's a smart dude, just slow.  That lack of speed isn't as much of an issue against a slower Offense.

Start with a new DC, if not then don't bother with the rest. 

Send Berry to surgery right away and make sure we know his full 2019 status by the draft.

Make sure at least 2 of our 4 top 100 picks in the draft will be starting in 2019 and the other two rotating. Can't keep on drafting guys to stash them on the depth chart. 

Also I think it's vital to get more traditional style of offense in there as well. Looks like we'll be playing a lot in January and that means utilizing the fullback and grinding some tough yards. We need to have more of those plays in the mix but I'm sure it'll be there the next time. 

Positions:

Safety: Cut Dirty Dan, he's a backup at best but not worth the money. Lucas showed promise and will definitely be in the mix. Bring in another guy in FA or draft and let Watts remain the #4 guy until he earns a move up on the depth chart. Berry will likely be back after the surgery but we should be prepping for a change at the position within a couple years.

CB: Bring in a starter in 1st to pair with Ward and Fuller. I wouldn't mind FA either but the market doesn't look really good. Bring in another guy to the rotation.

ILB: Find someone that can tackle and not in late rounds like we have been doing.

OLB: Find a real OLB that can keep up with elite QBs. KJ Wright would be my first choice as 4-3 OLBs are better options than edge rushers to man the position IMO. Move Kpass to DE as a backup and see what he can do. Speaks could stay at OLB but I wouldn't mind moving him to DL as well. Looks like he could be a decent run guy. 

DL: Replace Bailey with a guy that can stop the run. Bailey is a good sack guy but that's pointless when the DL is non-existent against RBs. I wouldn't mind an upgrade at NT but not sure what's available out there. I think we could live with what we have for another year.

TE: Find a guy that will replace Harris and actually catch the ball. Don't need a #1 guy as we have Kelce but should have a viable option.

OL: This line isn't bad but definitely needs upgrades as we can't develop a decent pocket most of the time. Can't have defenses get free shots at Mahomes. The whole thing could be taken care of with some solid coaching as our linemen seem to be individually good at times but make some vital mistakes. 

WR: When healthy Watkins is a very good addition but with all the WR trade talk I wouldn't mind trying for a starting DB. Still not a priority. Mahomes is further in his development than expected. Let Conley walk and may be he brings in a 6th or 7th in 2020.

RB: Williams looks to be our guy and jr could be in the mix as well. I would bring in a Chris Ivory type bruiser in FA as a battering ram. 

7 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

What's worse is Dirty Dan was our best defensive player tonight. Let that sink in.

Dirty Dan plays better when he has Berry behind him. That's what fooled us in giving him the extension but like Parker he got exposed when left under the light. 

Fire Sutton - has to happen, when Brady states your scheme is predictable so crowd noise doesn't effect you that speaks volumes. Prevent when it matters equals losses.

Restructure Berry & Houston hopefully. Too expensive to cut and too expensive at this rate

Find a corner

Franchise Ford for the year and let him walk next.  Screwed us last night, but a big reason we got there as well.

Draft players who play the fucking position they're being drafted for. No more projects. Period

Draft BPA for safety, End and ILB.

Hit Sutton with a truck and back over him a few times

Teach Pat to take the short passes when they're there

Win SB 

Profit

11 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Here's what you do.

Shoot Bob Sutton out of a fucking cannon, directly into the sun.

Rex Ryan is your plan A, Mike Nolan is your Plan B for new DC

Let them pick their own staff

-Send Sammy Watkins to the Jacksonville Jaguars in a straight swap for AJ Bouye.  Both teams need to even out their respective lagging squads.  Bouye is your #1 CB and Ward is #2, while Watkins+Lee+Westbrook is a good speed trio for the next Jax QB.

-Franchise Dee Ford at the very last moment as a LB and quickly trade him before he can get in a grievance to get DE pay.  The Bucs are moving to a 3-4 and have nothing to work with, so send him there for a haul of Day 2 picks. 2+4 2019, cond 3rd 2020--tampa needs some insta producers because Arians is all win now 

-Cut Sorensen loose and let Berry rehab and hope for a rebound 

-Roll the dice with Shane Ray and let him, Tanoh and Speaks duke it out.  

-Make Sheldon Richardson your big FA acquisition.  I have no idea why they didn't a year ago.

-Draft Lawrence in the first.  Elgton Jenki s, Tre Lamar and Julian Love in the 2nd round.  WR Emanuel Hall in the 3rd.

-Extend Tyreek Hill and let Chris Jones prove he can finish a season not on the sideline before offering the big money.

What are you talking about.  I didn't do any cuts or additions.  How are you coming up with an assumption of the defense is worse? 

16 minutes ago, Palangi said:

What are you talking about.  I didn't do any cuts or additions.  How are you coming up with an assumption of the defense is worse? 

The only strength this Defense had was the pass-rush on the off-chance the secondary could cover long enough to give them any time.  Ford and Houston are guys that wouldn't fit in a system change, so you'd be effectively gutting most of what worked in one quick swoop.

You're going to need 3 or so DE's and a dire need of someone to play quality 1T play.  After that, your LB's are still shit so what good did the scheme change do in the long run?

You can line them in a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 6-1, 2-5, whatever but you're not going to scheme up bad discipline and a lack of upper end talent on the LoS.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The only strength this Defense had was the pass-rush on the off-chance the secondary could cover long enough to give them any time.  Ford and Houston are guys that wouldn't fit in a system change, so you'd be effectively gutting most of what worked in one quick swoop.

You're going to need 3 or so DE's and a dire need of someone to play quality 1T play.  After that, your LB's are still shit so what good did the scheme change do in the long run?

You can line them in a 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 6-1, 2-5, whatever but you're not going to scheme up bad discipline and a lack of upper end talent on the LoS.

Wow you are really jumping at assumptions.  I never said anything about change.  

What the hell are you arguing

I hate the sacks stat with this defense. They did well because other teams had to throw a lot to keep up with us. When a team actually ran the ball, we were ineffective. You need new talent at every level, but you need 5 new DBs, another ILB, and a real NT. Someone needs to replace Bailey.

Offense, I think we only need to target a TE2, RB, and big WR. 

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I disagree. I think Houston is plenty strong enough to hold his own and play with his hand in the dirt as a 43 DE. 

And I think a front of :

Houston-Jones-Nnadi-Speaks

would be a solid start especially on running downs. Speaks may not have a pass rush move other than a bull rush, but I think he can be leaps and bounds better than Bailey against the run. 

Clearly we would need to go DE early or chase one in FA, but I dont think a transition to an even front is as far fetched as some think.

Im finally starting to see the light on Hitchens though. I dont know if the position change just completely fucked him up or what, but that guys instincts are just abysmal. He runs himself out of every play. 

Another thing about switching to a 43 is I think Dorian ODaniel could play as an every down WILL or JACK or BANDIT or whatever the fuck you want to call it.

Maybe you disagree but trying ODaniel there and moving Hitchens back to SAM in a 43 where he thrived seems a lot better than this bullshit weve been watching.

I like the offence as is.  Resign our free agents with the exception of Harris and Conley.  We can use an upgrade there or allow a young guy to step up.  Keep the Oline as is, get a healthy LDT back and let the oline gel for another year. If Ware is not the answer, find a running back that can pound the rock.

First priority is DC.  The schemes were not good enough and the players were not coached well enough to see what the O was trying to do and make adjustments. It was shocking to see Berry yelling at players to get them in proper position that late in the season.

Look for a replacement for Bailey.  We need a run stuffer on the line.  Right now we have a bunch of pass rushers, it is great we led the league in sacks and pressure, but when you are at the bottom against the run, you need some balance.

Designate Berry as post June 1st.  He is not worth the money even when 100%.  Just to beat a dead horse, in an off-season where everyone was wondering why there were so many good safeties not getting signed and why they were getting signed so cheap, it is inexcusable that we went into the season with safety being such a glaring weakness.  People were asking for Tre Boston and others to be signed at the start of free agency.  This was even before, Watts, Berry, and Sorenson were injured.  

Don't cut Ragland as he is still cheap enough but we need an upgrade. I don't know what is out there in free agency but we should at least draft someone.  

We need a true #1 corner.  We don't have that right now.  1st round draft pick if there is someone worth the pick.

Keep Houston, Tag Ford.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I disagree. I think Houston is plenty strong enough to hold his own and play with his hand in the dirt as a 43 DE. 

And I think a front of :

Houston-Jones-Nnadi-Speaks

would be a solid start especially on running downs. Speaks may not have a pass rush move other than a bull rush, but I think he can be leaps and bounds better than Bailey against the run. 

Clearly we would need to go DE early or chase one in FA, but I dont think a transition to an even front is as far fetched as some think.

Im finally starting to see the light on Hitchens though. I dont know if the position change just completely fucked him up or what, but that guys instincts are just abysmal. He runs himself out of every play. 

Another thing about switching to a 43 is I think Dorian ODaniel could play as an every down WILL or JACK or BANDIT or whatever the fuck you want to call it.

Maybe you disagree but trying ODaniel there and moving Hitchens back to SAM in a 43 where he thrived seems a lot better than this bullshit weve been watching.

Houston would look pretty bad with more weight and his hand in the ground and I don't think Speaks translates well as an end.  Would be more of a 3 tech.

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Houston would look pretty bad with more weight and his hand in the ground and I don't think Speaks translates well as an end.  Would be more of a 3 tech.

Id be ok with kicking Speaks inside. But ideally he is a 5 tech in a 34. Which happens to be an open spot with Bailey done here now. Another great Dorsey contract. 

Either way he needs to be a defensive lineman. Watching that guy at OLB hurts my brain.

24 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Why would Houston need more weight? At 6'3" 267 he is plenty big to play DE in a 4-3. 

And speaks is 6'3" 280+ right now.  Another 10 lbs and he would be just fine inside on a 4-3.

Again I'm not saying to do it. 

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

Why would Houston need more weight? At 6'3" 267 he is plenty big to play DE in a 4-3. 

And speaks is 6'3" 280+ right now.  Another 10 lbs and he would be just fine inside on a 4-3.

Again I'm not saying to do it. 

I get the premise.  The current D is broken and the general knee jerk reaction is to change schemes.

Over the season of watching a Defensive abortion, I never thought the alignment was the clear issue.  It's a combination of lack of talent, but mostly god awful coaching.  Absolutely horrendous.

The Chiefs were mostly blown off the LoS all year long and while the ILB play was sad, they never stood a chance.

Our top Defenders struggled with stuffing the run and we legit wondered why we sucked at stopping it.  I mean, come on.

O

G and C. They are all sub par. Cam, LDT and Morse play well sometimes, but this musical chairs around injuries is killing us.

D

NT in a bad way. DE that can stuff the run and get after the QB if available. Jones is a stud with no help.

Replce Rags. Safety is a must. Eat the hit now and cut Berry.  Lost every game he played in and he was terrible this weekend. Keep Dan only if he takes a big cut. Houston and Ford stay at least one more year. CB is a must. 

7 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

I hate the sacks stat with this defense. They did well because other teams had to throw a lot to keep up with us. When a team actually ran the ball, we were ineffective. You need new talent at every level, but you need 5 new DBs, another ILB, and a real NT. Someone needs to replace Bailey.

Offense, I think we only need to target a TE2, RB, and big WR. 

Agree Bailey has to go/ don't bring back guy is pretty much just a body. 

Archived