Team needs going into offseason

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think NT and DE to replace Bailey is needed. I'm curious if a Ragland and Hitchens can be salvaged with a new DC and scheme.  Hitchens played well in Dallas and they didn't want him to leave while Ragland played some good snaps last year. Do they really suck or was it Sutton and his lack of flexibility, adaptation, and imagination? Be interesting to see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I think NT and DE to replace Bailey is needed. I'm curious if a Ragland and Hitchens can be salvaged with a new DC and scheme.  Hitchens played well in Dallas and they didn't want him to leave while Ragland played some good snaps last year. Do they really suck or was it Sutton and his lack of flexibility, adaptation, and imagination? Be interesting to see what happens.

We shall soon find out.

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I'd let Ware walk as he can't stay healthy and draft another RB in the third round where Andy has routinely found huge gems. Or again just stick with Williams and sign a complimentary system guy to a cheap deal in the free agency. Either way works for me depending who falls on draft day. 

Agreed.  We really need to cut bait with these guys that are injury prone.  Availability is more important than talent (not saying I think Ware is that talented, how I feel about him is no secret, that was more a shot at Berry).  I like the idea of a mid round Rb.  In a perfect world, that mid round RB would be a guy with blazing speed like Hill, but a project that drives him down the draft.  Reid could make great work of another speed guy, running the end around out of the slot, or screens, and the depth at RB would be a great place for that, because you can use him in different ways that keeps him from doing the thing that all coaches don't like asking rookie rbs to do, pick up blitzers.  

Looks like it'll all depend on what our flashy new DC will be running. Looking at how some of the picks in 3-4 turned out to be bad fits we might be closer to a switch than we realized.

In short I think the road to SB goes through guys like Michael Bennett, the 2nd tier cost guys that do a good job all around. Hopefully the new DC will be able to identify such names. 

12 hours ago, Balto said:

Still think WR is secretly our biggest need

Look at the DBs, ILBs and D-line and then claim another WR is the top priority?  HIll, Watkins, Conley, Robinson, Dieter, Pringle, Kemp.  Compare that lineup with what's available at CB, ILB, or S.    

12 hours ago, Balto said:

Still think WR is secretly our biggest need

It's the best kept secret I've seen then.

We have our #1 and #2 WRs on the roster in no particular order. Could use a big guy like Benjamin who's already in town and could be given a prove-it deal. Have Robinson in the mix as well as the youngsters like Kemp and Pringle. Not sure if we actually have a roster spot for our biggest need.

15 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I'm sure, but there were some talent deficiencies up front.

They need a body up front that will wreck the shit out of a blocking scheme, which they just do not have.  Chris Jones is a good gap shooter, but they need a dirty job guy to clean things up for the ILB's to stand a chance.  I saw a lot of bad play from Ragland and Hitchens, but people can't forget they really didn't stand a chance from the get go.

If Rex Ryan comes there, you could see Za Darius Smith OLB, Terrel Suggs (if they don't extend him for a year) and maybe even CJ Mosley as the Ravens are not expected to break the bank on him.  Smith can play inside as well as outside. Suggs sets the edge better than most as well as rushing the passer. Mosley is a Pro Bowl LB who's only deficiency is pass coverage.

I can't see them giving another big deal at ILB this offseason.

If Ragland can figure out what the hell is going on with his knee, I'd think that Rex would absolutely stick with him considering he drafted the guy.

Hitchens is just plain not movable right now, so I think ILB would be set in stone...for right now at least.

OLB will be tricky.  There's no way that Justin Houston is worth what he'll be getting paid even if healthy 16 weeks.

While Dee Ford is a quality edge rusher, he's also part of the problem with the garbo tier run Defense.

The right moves would be to tag and trade Dee Ford and cut Houston, but 100% turnover at OLB with a playoff squad is probably a bit extreme.

I'd release Houston and tag Ford for today.  I'd probably take an edge guy early unless you've got Dee Ford under a longterm deal.

Berry has an injury guarantee for 2019 and will not pass a physical if he has to get offseason surgery.  He's gonna be staying, so hopefully the surgery is a success.

I think Ward is a keeper and Fuller played better down the stretch.  Gotta find a #1 corner.

Bailey is a FA and should not come back.  They need a DE immediately.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, xen said:

Morse when healthy almost always plays well.  He can't stay healthy but he's not sub par, by any measure.  Which is a real shame.  He'll probably still get paid in free agency.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-stats-to-know-for-all-32-nfl-teams-after-week-17

Kansas City Chiefs: Mitch Morse has the longest active streak of pass blocks without allowing a sack at 1543. He hasn’t allowed one since the middle of the 2015 season. His streak is the eighth-longest by an offensive lineman in the last 13 years.

Yep. And LDT is a stud. Can is a stud. Here is my issue. We were 100% healthy for the Pats and the #30 pass rush completely dominated our line. We had 106 QB hits on a pretty illusive QB during the season. Ranked 25th.

During the post season we allowed 16 QB hits. That is 12th among 12 playoff teams. When we speak about Morse, LDT and Cam people seem to ageee that they are pretty good individually. So why is the pass protection so bad?

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, Palangi said:

High priority

OG- getting LDT back will be good.  Is Wylie good enough? 

CB- I like ward.  And fuller as a nickel. But we need another stud. 

Priority

DL- we need someone to pair with Jones inside.  Could Speaks be the guy? 

ILB- Ragland needs to go.  Would Hitchens be better with new scheme and playing as the thumper with DOD next to him? Can DOD add some size and strength to be full time? I hope. 

S- I like Lucas. Interested in watts, hate Murray, done with berry, and dan is a sub and special teams guy.  Could Lucas and watts start with dan as a backup? Bring in another centerfielder type?

RB- I le Williams but for some reason he doesn't feel like a #1 back.  I wish we could have seen Daryl Williams more.  

We are the number one offense and worst defense.  I'd have OG down the priority list behind LB and secondary help.  I'd love to have a Donnie Edwards type linebacker that makes plays sidelines to sidelines that also is good in coverage.  And a safety.  I think those two things combined with the right DC would help a lot.  Obviously a solid cornerback also.  And another tight end threat. 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:06 AM, liquidfriend said:

I can't see them giving another big deal at ILB this offseason.

If Ragland can figure out what the hell is going on with his knee, I'd think that Rex would absolutely stick with him considering he drafted the guy.

Hitchens is just plain not movable right now, so I think ILB would be set in stone...for right now at least.

OLB will be tricky.  There's no way that Justin Houston is worth what he'll be getting paid even if healthy 16 weeks.

While Dee Ford is a quality edge rusher, he's also part of the problem with the garbo tier run Defense.

The right moves would be to tag and trade Dee Ford and cut Houston, but 100% turnover at OLB with a playoff squad is probably a bit extreme.

I'd release Houston and tag Ford for today.  I'd probably take an edge guy early unless you've got Dee Ford under a longterm deal.

Berry has an injury guarantee for 2019 and will not pass a physical if he has to get offseason surgery.  He's gonna be staying, so hopefully the surgery is a success.

I think Ward is a keeper and Fuller played better down the stretch.  Gotta find a #1 corner.

Bailey is a FA and should not come back.  They need a DE immediately.

liquid, I think you hit on something here.   I wouldn't be surprised if Berry knew this and made a business decision like Dee Ford did last year.   These guys aren't dumb and if he had the surgery early and came back and didn't look good then he would know he was going to be cut.   If he waits though then has the surgery immediately after the season his 2019 would be guaranteed and he would have the chance to redeem himself in the offseason.   Not saying I don't like it but he was totally making a business decision.

24 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

liquid, I think you hit on something here.   I wouldn't be surprised if Berry knew this and made a business decision like Dee Ford did last year.   These guys aren't dumb and if he had the surgery early and came back and didn't look good then he would know he was going to be cut.   If he waits though then has the surgery immediately after the season his 2019 would be guaranteed and he would have the chance to redeem himself in the offseason.   Not saying I don't like it but he was totally making a business decision.

Yep, but I don't think he held off on having the surgery all last year for that moment.

I think the Chiefs really just erred on thinking it was something he could play through without weighing in the big picture.

As for having interest in the surgery now, yeah I think EB protecting his 2019 salary is a big motivator in getting it now.  

As for having interest in the surgery now, yeah I think EB protecting his 2019 salary is a big motivator in getting it now.  

LF  they were talking about this very scenario on 810 am with Petro & a Sporttrac  guy about the Cap & the Chiefs  but it was mostly  pointed to his agent "suggesting"  that scenario more than the player thinking it up on their own

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

LF  they were talking about this very scenario on 810 am with Petro & a Sporttrac  guy about the Cap & the Chiefs  but it was mostly  pointed to his agent "suggesting"  that scenario more than the player thinking it up on their own

Wouldn't surprise me as I'm sure very little players remember every part of a contract they sign.

Yeah everything berry has done points to decison making where he has to play the least amount of games while getting payed full compensation. At the same time putting himself in a position where he can’t cut due to injury rules

its a good personal decision but ever since signing the new deal he has essentially said FU to the organization and fanbase.

guy has made more profit than any safety ever for playing good for a single season, which was the final year of his rookie deal

Yup I remember when we were resigning him and saying on scout we should not overpay cause at that time he had missed so much time already. I was at least hoping Dorsey would put as much guarantees on games played. But Berry took us to the cleaners and still no on the field. I know I will be attacked like I was then.

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

Yup I remember when we were resigning him and saying on scout we should not overpay cause at that time he had missed so much time already. I was at least hoping Dorsey would put as much guarantees on games played. But Berry took us to the cleaners and still no on the field. I know I will be attacked like I was then.

We have done so much for him he could at least look at restructuring. He was paid in full when he had cancer. He has been paid to sit for 2 years. If he thinks someone will pay him now with his history and being 30.....good luck to him then. I am done with money being on the bench the last few years.

Problem is he is kind of golden/sacred cow.   Hard to call him out for that crap when he's overcome cancer but the reality is it will go down as the worst contract in NFL history if he doesn't play and play well next year.    Its why we don't dole out a huge contract to Dee Ford this offseason.   Too much injury risk for only one year of elite production.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, Biggjliv4 said:

If you take a NT you replace Bailey with Nnadi who will play Dend.  Just a guess though.

Archived