How does this compare?

As an old fart,  I have seen hundreds of Chiefs games and probably a couple of dozen heartbreaking losses.   This one reminds me a great deal of the 1971 Christmas Day loss to the Dolphins.  We were at home.  Expected to win.   Doing everything by the book.  Got a 10 point lead on Griese.  But we had no solution for Warfield.   Stenerud BARELY misses a 31 yard field goal at the end of regulation.  Then Podolak returns the ball to the Dolphins 38 in sudden death overtime.   This time the kicked is BLOCKED.   Stenerud didn't miss it.  But he still got blamed for it.   Like Ford lining up in the neutral zone.   It did NOT cost us the game.    You want to beat the Patriots?   Forget about trying to blitz Brady.   That is impossible.  Doubleteam or if necessary tripleteam Edelman.   He kills us every PATS game we are in.

Anyway I think the emotional letdown reminds me of that time.  At the time,  Jet and I thought Chiefs would be back the next year.  But they weren't.  For 50 years they weren't.    But damn.  It was fun to watch.  

I watched the same again.  I am not so down  on Suttons defense.   Too easy to blame.   New England is simply more disciplined.   They hold their lanes.   Not with superioir physical people but superior intelligence.   It is what it is.  We came close.  Damn Close.   Heart stoppingly close.      

Hold you heads up high Chiefs Fans.   You go down in the annals of the NFL as participants in one of the greatest NFL games EVER played.    After all....its why we watch.

See you next August!

The difference between this team and 1971 is that team was growing old and was on the way down. This team is young and improving. 

I agree about the discipline of the Pats. The Chiefs probably have more talent, but the Pats play so well and so smart -- and hardly ever make mistakes - they nullify the talent of the opposition.

nothing like the colts game a few years ago. that broke me. 

yesterday was easy to take. 

Inside, unfortunately, I knew bob would blow it. His defenses are trash. His scheme is trash. There are some good players on the defense. No excuse for what happened yesterday. The numbers are fucking staggering. 

2 minutes ago, xen said:

This one was not easy to take at the stadium.  My wife was pissed.  I knew it was over when we lost the coin toss.  Andy should have just gone for it at the end of regulation instead of the field goal.  Of course that's hindsight.

yep, they had time to take one more shot. if your gonna go down then go down swinging....

1 minute ago, KC Warpaint said:

yep, they had time to take one more shot. if your gonna go down then go down swinging....

I think of they had been closer they would have due to short compressed field, but the distance we were at and all the DB's just sitting in the end zone, I think it could have just as easily been a pick. I'd have him try though as long as he didn't force one short and in bounds.

The Colts collapse was probably the worst loss ever for me. I wasn’t alive for the 70s and wasn’t a fan until the 90s. But I literally was avoiding showing any support for KC after that 2014 screw up for 7 months.

We were one good play on defense away from going to the super bowl. That is the closest this franchise has gotten in almost 50 years. Lets hope we only go up from here. But we never got embarrassed this year like in the Alex Smith years. Every game was winnable.

22 minutes ago, xen said:

This one was not easy to take at the stadium.  My wife was pissed.  I knew it was over when we lost the coin toss.  Andy should have just gone for it at the end of regulation instead of the field goal.  Of course that's hindsight.

Yea, being around 70k fans would intensify the hurt.

Archived