• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 hours ago, NChiefsCorner said:

I think the reason Ragland is a Chief may be because they wanted to switch to Rex Ryan if things didn't work out for Sutton.

Ragland may benefit the most from a new hire. He has shown some promise here. Need a guy to light a fire under him and Hitchens and let them go downhill.

3 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Not my favorite,  but Rex makes sense. Builds solid D, guys know part of the system and will actually be introduced to more than the first 2 pages of defensive play's that Bob took from him. We will attack, disguise, blitz, and not rush 3 when it counts.

Plus he oh so hates the Patriots. In fact, he can't stand them. Twice he tried to upend NE in the AFC East. Once, as a Jet then a Bill...now he can focus solely on defense and he has a QB who can go put up 30 points in one half in Mahomes. He may test the sweet nectar of revenge soon enough.

Gentlemen,   be CAREFUL what you wish for.  All the problems of defense are not laid at the feet of Bob Sutton.  It is easy to find one scapegoat for the defensive deficiencies but it goes much deeper than that and switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 is not a cure all.  its about personnel who played.   Sutton had a hand in all of this,  no doubt about it.  But,  he did not take a single snap from center.   Don't be foolish into thinking that replacing the DC  ( and maybe his assistants ) will have some sort of magical cure for what ails the Chiefs on defense......because it won't.   I was not a great fan of Bob Suttons but I do believe,   save for the fact that he went with Parker and Skandrick  too long,  he was not  the major problem.    The lack of production from KPass and Breeland Speaks had as much to do with this failure.   Nelson was what we always thought he was.

In the long run,  it just doesn't wash.   We do not need a big media personality like Rex Ryan,  who would compete for media time with Andy Reid.   Reid is a low key guy and I don't see the two of them meshing.    Spagnola is a better choice.   But whoever we pick,  don't expect and immediate defensive turnaround.   

Under Sutton the defense lacked 2 important things: discipline and aggression.   Stupid penalties at inopportune times was just a lack of discipline.  Well coached teams don't make those mistakes as often as the Chiefs did the past couple years.

And when was the last time the Chiefs defense played with a killer instinct?  They need a nasty edge.  Teams need to fear playing a good D...

10 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Gentlemen,   be CAREFUL what you wish for.  All the problems of defense are not laid at the feet of Bob Sutton.  It is easy to find one scapegoat for the defensive deficiencies but it goes much deeper than that and switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 is not a cure all.  its about personnel who played.   Sutton had a hand in all of this,  no doubt about it.  But,  he did not take a single snap from center.   Don't be foolish into thinking that replacing the DC  ( and maybe his assistants ) will have some sort of magical cure for what ails the Chiefs on defense......because it won't.   I was not a great fan of Bob Suttons but I do believe,   save for the fact that he went with Parker and Skandrick  too long,  he was not  the major problem.    The lack of production from KPass and Breeland Speaks had as much to do with this failure.   Nelson was what we always thought he was.

In the long run,  it just doesn't wash.   We do not need a big media personality like Rex Ryan,  who would compete for media time with Andy Reid.   Reid is a low key guy and I don't see the two of them meshing.    Spagnola is a better choice.   But whoever we pick,  don't expect and immediate defensive turnaround.   

We don't need an extravagant turnaround Wilkie. I too backed Sutton for years , but the guy just couldn't stop beating a dead horse. Never made any adjustments and frankly cost us 4 playoff losses in the 6 years Andy has been here. Indi, Pitt, TN, and NE games. Go down trying man. Throw the kitchen sink at it. Only way NE wins was was time of possession and ball control. Brady and McDaniels were like wow. Easy, no adjustments for a 41 YEAR OLD QB who pencil armed us to death and took the crowd out of the game with draws om 3rd and 9. That's disrespect to Arrowhead and our fans. Brady wasn't touched the whole game. He couldn't believe it himself!

And what did Sutton do..play right into their hands. Sure we'll patiently take what you give us. Blitz, stunt, do something! Give up a big play or two hell just het the ball back to Mahomes.  Time and time again his old ways got us no where and opposing teams fed off this. No excuses. I'll take my chances with whoever has some balls to go out and try something new. 

1 minute ago, Joe_Chief said:

Under Sutton the defense lacked 2 important things: discipline and aggression.   Stupid penalties at inopportune times was just a lack of discipline.  Well coached teams don't make those mistakes as often as the Chiefs did the past couple years.

And when was the last time the Chiefs defense played with a killer instinct?  They need a nasty edge.  Teams need to fear playing a good D...

^^^^This

10 minutes ago, wilkie said:

You said the same thing about Patrick Mahomes at QB.

wilkie has some good points. first off talent is an issue. i think that is agreed upon with all. number  two rex ryan personality won’t fit chiefs culture of how they go about day to day business in season. those points i agree with willkie. 

however i also agree with dman and a few others that have mentioned about sutton not making adjustments, take chances, go after them, show some aggressive packages etc. 

at the end of the day i’m glad sutton is gone. players need to be given a chance to win and sutton did not provide that. d coordinator is the leader that players follow when going to battle. with sutton they were hung out to dry. now reid needs to take some blame too and i wouldn’t be shocked that clark gave him a few choice words as well. 

I do expect a better defense in 2019. Don't expect a quick turnaround? I've thought all along the pieces were better then the total result. Fuller and Hitchens both played better on their previous teams. They come to KC and suddenly they aren't nearly as good. That's not talent. It's scheme and coaching. I think a creative, aggressive minded DC could take what we have NOW on defense and get more out of them. Not top 10 but better. Sutton was lacking creativity and a willingness to mold the defense to its parts. He would rather fit square pegs in round holes. I have seen coaching styles and schemes turn teams around with minimal personnel changes. That's not to say we don't need upgrades at some spots but with the right mind....the future is bright.

3 hours ago, wilkie said:

None of our defensive guys took a snap from center.  That's because a center is on offense

3 hours ago, wilkie said:

Some good points, but one has to ask what have the last three or four playoff loss had in common.  It's the Chiefs going into a prevent mode that ALWAYS costs them the game.  No pressure on the QB.  No tight coverage.  Open receivers 8-10 yards downfield with a plethora of DB wandering around deeper.  I can't imagine the team having any confidence in Sutton's defensive scheme in the future.  Sure, better players would help, but the Chiefs have drafted lots of defense and aside from Jones, who's contributing from the last three years?  Nnadi? O'Daniel? Murray?  Who had made an impact on defense?  We don't know how much input Sutton has on the draft, but he certainly is responsible for coaching up the talent, playing to their best advantages, and creating a scheme that has a good chance of succeeding.  I'm guessing the Chiefs and Reid knew this was coming since at least the Rams game in week 11. 

4 hours ago, wilkie said:

I think a new DC would provide an immediate turnaround if he comes in with some fire that will reflect on the players. Sutton was way too vanilla and didn't seem to care about the players' skills when deciding on his schemes. As seen over the years we have some nice talent when going aggressive so a new DC that would analyze the players well and actually hold people accountable would provide a major boost IMO.

The turnaround wouldn't be a move to a top 5 or may be top 10 defense immediately but I think we could definitely see the improvement. 

Archived