• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, wilkie said:

Gentlemen,   be CAREFUL what you wish for.  All the problems of defense are not laid at the feet of Bob Sutton.  It is easy to find one scapegoat for the defensive deficiencies but it goes much deeper than that and switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 is not a cure all.  its about personnel who played.   Sutton had a hand in all of this,  no doubt about it.  But,  he did not take a single snap from center.   Don't be foolish into thinking that replacing the DC  ( and maybe his assistants ) will have some sort of magical cure for what ails the Chiefs on defense......because it won't.   I was not a great fan of Bob Suttons but I do believe,   save for the fact that he went with Parker and Skandrick  too long,  he was not  the major problem.    The lack of production from KPass and Breeland Speaks had as much to do with this failure.   Nelson was what we always thought he was.

In the long run,  it just doesn't wash.   We do not need a big media personality like Rex Ryan,  who would compete for media time with Andy Reid.   Reid is a low key guy and I don't see the two of them meshing.    Spagnola is a better choice.   But whoever we pick,  don't expect and immediate defensive turnaround.   

I actually could not disagree more.  Scheme, lack of in game adjustments, usage of players ( in particular, not adjusting your scheme to play towards the strengths of your players) , absolute refusal to play and develop younger players.  The Chiefs need to pick a Defensive Coordinator that is flexible and willing to build the Defense around the strengths of the players we have, minimize exposure to weakness, and not be so predictable that teams know exactly what to do.  You have to be able to disguise the intentions of the Defense.   While a Defensive Coordinator does not take the field, he is a vital piece of the puzzle. 

Bob Sutton was a disaster.  Damn near every player / commentator that talked about the Chiefs said The Chiefs had to stop the run and take away Edelman.  We did neither.  And when the game was on the line,  We single covered Gronkowski and Edelman in third and long situations and did not bring extra pressure.   If we bring in Rex Ryan , I think a simple understanding needs to be in place on how he acts.  If he is cool with that great,  if he is not then you move on to another candidate.  This is an important hire and one that I believe can make a world of difference.  

10 hours ago, wilkie said:

Gentlemen,   be CAREFUL what you wish for.  All the problems of defense are not laid at the feet of Bob Sutton.  It is easy to find one scapegoat for the defensive deficiencies but it goes much deeper than that and switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 is not a cure all.  its about personnel who played.   Sutton had a hand in all of this,  no doubt about it.  But,  he did not take a single snap from center.   Don't be foolish into thinking that replacing the DC  ( and maybe his assistants ) will have some sort of magical cure for what ails the Chiefs on defense......because it won't.   I was not a great fan of Bob Suttons but I do believe,   save for the fact that he went with Parker and Skandrick  too long,  he was not  the major problem.    The lack of production from KPass and Breeland Speaks had as much to do with this failure.   Nelson was what we always thought he was.

In the long run,  it just doesn't wash.   We do not need a big media personality like Rex Ryan,  who would compete for media time with Andy Reid.   Reid is a low key guy and I don't see the two of them meshing.    Spagnola is a better choice.   But whoever we pick,  don't expect and immediate defensive turnaround.   

On Facebook you tried to be his twin brother....😁

Sure the DC doesn't play a snap, but as a coach you put your players in the best position to succeed. Sutton did not.

Was the defense low on talent? At LB, S and CB, yes. D line was strength of the defense. Someone like Ryan, who didn't have the benefit of a draft and offseason, would take the talent given and modify a system to fit them, not force the talent to fit a system.

Ryan would probably go after players that did fit what he was trying to do during an offseason.

1 hour ago, Docbarnabee said:

I actually could not disagree more.  Scheme, lack of in game adjustments, usage of players ( in particular, not adjusting your scheme to play towards the strengths of your players) , absolute refusal to play and develop younger players.  The Chiefs need to pick a Defensive Coordinator that is flexible and willing to build the Defense around the strengths of the players we have, minimize exposure to weakness, and not be so predictable that teams know exactly what to do.  You have to be able to disguise the intentions of the Defense.   While a Defensive Coordinator does not take the field, he is a vital piece of the puzzle. 

Bob Sutton was a disaster.  Damn near every player / commentator that talked about the Chiefs said The Chiefs had to stop the run and take away Edelman.  We did neither.  And when the game was on the line,  We single covered Gronkowski and Edelman in third and long situations and did not bring extra pressure.   If we bring in Rex Ryan , I think a simple understanding needs to be in place on how he acts.  If he is cool with that great,  if he is not then you move on to another candidate.  This is an important hire and one that I believe can make a world of difference.  

This.

You guys, don't be so callused.  I wonder if Rex Ryan has done some sole-searching and just wants to get his foot in the door for another HC gig.  He knows the Patriots are his arch-enemies, but he doesn't want to stay back on his heels, so he's keeping his eye on the ball and trying to toe the line.  If he does that, he'll be a shoe-in for another job.

I don't see how anyone can think firing Sutton is a bad thing or a "be careful what you wish for" thing.  When Greg Robinson cost us a chance at the Super Bowl I said the same thing - he's not the whole problem but he's obviously not part of the solution.  We were at the bottom of the league in all the defensive stats that really matter.  Absolute worst case scenario we promote from within and nothing really changes.  But I don't see how we get worse.

11 hours ago, wilkie said:

we only need to be better than 31st ranked, not unheard of to move up to a lower 20's ranked D in one season...

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

You guys, don't be so callused.  I wonder if Rex Ryan has done some sole-searching and just wants to get his foot in the door for another HC gig.  He knows the Patriots are his arch-enemies, but he doesn't want to stay back on his heels, so he's keeping his eye on the ball and trying to toe the line.  If he does that, he'll be a shoe-in for another job.

METATARSAL

5 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

4 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

METATARSAL

Tough crowd

Archived