Chiefs-Patriots AFC championship game drew massive television ratings

I'd say the chiefs got alot of exposure.

Football is dead or at least that’s what many people were saying following the NFL’s national anthem protest debacle. Many were said to be boycotting league because of the player protests against racial injustice. In 2017, even the President of the United States chimed in.

“…NFL attendance and ratings are WAY DOWN,” Trump tweeted. “Boring games yes, but many stay away because they love our country. League should back U.S.”

As it turns out, the NFL is exciting and it certainly isn’t dead. The Chiefs-Patriots AFC championship game is proof of that. The latest ratings news from CBS has this AFC championship game as a special one that rivals some of the best ratings the game has ever had.

Nearly 54 million people tuned to in watch CBS Sports’ coverage of the Patriots/Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game, clocking 53.9 million viewers to rank as the second-most watched AFC Championship Game in 42 years.

Nearly 54 million people watched the game on CBS, this made it the second-most watched AFC title game in their entire 42 years of keeping records. The games 31.2 rating also makes it the highest-rated program on television since last years Super Bowl which drew 103.4 million viewers and 43.1 rating.

EmailSign up

Like this article?

Sign up for the Chiefs Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

The overnight rating spiked for the late slot by over a 1/4th from last year alone, that’s a huge jump. It likely has something to do with the Vikings-Eagles game being blowout, and the Chiefs-Patriots game going into overtime.

The high viewership numbers can be attributed to a lot of different things though. First and foremost it had recognizable star power. Tom Brady has owned the NFL for the better part of the past two decades, and Patrick Mahomes was the runaway star of the 2018 season. People were genuinely excited to see these players face-off. Some were likely tuning in purely with vitriol for Brady and the Patriots and the hope the Chiefs would defeat them.

Overall, count this as a big win for the NFL and even the small market Chiefs. They’re due for lot of love from the league with Patrick Mahomes quarterbacking the team for the foreseeable future.

While Saints and Chiefs fans probably won’t be too encouraged to watch the Super Bowl, if these numbers are predictive, those ratings will also be far from dead.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/kansas-city-chiefs-new-england-patriots-afc-championship-game-drew-record-television-ratings/?fbclid=IwAR2E484R9Nezmak0LJv8VQfz1nq-nl3qSpFtlT6isOdGpqPWAnaBpSzV0Mw

The 61 rating locally topped game 7 of the 2014 World Series as the most watched tv show in modern KC history. This team is very popular and draws big ratings whenever it plays on the national stage or wherever. Its why I think any notion the league wants the Patriots to win is silly even with some very questionable replay reviews. Also shows without question the NFL is the king of American sports. 

AFC Championship game 31.2 rating

World Series                        14.5 rating

NBA Finals                           21.2 rating

World Cup Final                   14.3 rating

Dayton 500                             5.1 rating

Final Four                               7.2 rating

College Football NC game   14.3 rating

yeah it sucked.  But this wasn't near the empty feeling I've had from any other losses..  The 28 point blown lead against the colts is by far the lowest I've felt after a playoff loss.

As long as Mahomes is under center this team should be back in the spot a few more times over the next decade.

6 minutes ago, kcchief4lif said:

yeah it sucked.  But this wasn't near the empty feeling I've had from any other losses..  The 28 point blown lead against the colts is by far the lowest I've felt after a playoff loss.

As long as Mahomes is under center this team should be back in the spot a few more times over the next decade.

Hard to be upset when you lose to the two GOATS of modern football

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

The AFC Championship game drew a higher rating in Los Angeles than the NFC Championship game.

Go figure

The NFL is just force feeding that market. I heard one of the Chiefs beat writers say when he was in LA for the Rams-Chiefs game that he went into a sports bar hoping to watch the Chargers. Not one single tv was playing the "hometown" team. Zero. They may be able to create a mediocre market for the Rams with a Super Bowl team and a 2 billion dollar stadium but they've gotta figure something else out for the Chargers. 

12 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The NFL is just force feeding that market. I heard one of the Chiefs beat writers say when he was in LA for the Rams-Chiefs game that he went into a sports bar hoping to watch the Chargers. Not one single tv was playing the "hometown" team. Zero. They may be able to create a mediocre market for the Rams with a Super Bowl team and a 2 billion dollar stadium but they've gotta figure something else out for the Chargers. 

Always thought it was horrible idea to put 2 teams in LA considering they couldn't keep previous teams there in years past.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, Thegoatee said:

I may have to cancel Sunday ticket. Mahomes may put us on national TV 10+ times a year.

I canceled Sunday ticket years ago, along with DirectTV.  I have NFL game day via oline. streaming. The only catch is, it's delayed. I'm actually thinking about canceling Nfl game day since all the games are free on Youtube after a few days.,and I also get all the Thursday games as part of Amazon prime.

I think Mahomes popularity has helped the ratings. I've lost some interest in football over the years and only interested in the Chiefs, and Mahomes is mainly responsible for that. 

This forum is great, but back in the early 2000's, in it's first version it was way more active. 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:38 PM, Mloe68 said:

LA cares about neither.  The super bowl makes them trendy for all the transients in LA, but it’s not like people there actually care about the rams or chargers. People in LA are just different, they don’t identify with teams the way an entire region does here.  

57 minutes ago, moons314 said:

LA cares about neither.  The super bowl makes them trendy for all the transients in LA, but it’s not like people there actually care about the rams or chargers. People in LA are just different, they don’t identify with teams the way an entire region does here.  

The crazy thing is that they don't need to do this. The NFL has such a unique national appeal that a player like Patrick Mahomes drives ratings more than any big market team can. They need to embrace what works instead of trying to force feed an old model of what they think they should be doing. The Rams are staying in LA with that stadium deal so it is what it is. But they need to get the Chargers out of there ASAP.  And not to London but rather a place like San Antonio who would almost certainly go nuts for an NFL franchise. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, DefensiveMan said:

Love it. Although we look at this game in disgust it surely was a doozy for neutral fans. 

It was a doozy for everyone who watched.   The outcome was in doubt until the coin flip.   Great game to watch.

One day the league will figure out market size doesn't mean much if the right product is on the field.  Steelers, Packers, Colts, Saints, and Chiefs are all in bottom third of the league in market size, with the Saints being dead last.  Yet, these are teams that are among the largest right now in ratings.  Its the product on the field, not the size of the region...

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:41 AM, qnet said:

I canceled Sunday ticket years ago, along with DirectTV.  I have NFL game day via oline. streaming. The only catch is, it's delayed. I'm actually thinking about canceling Nfl game day since all the games are free on Youtube after a few days.,and I also get all the Thursday games as part of Amazon prime.

I think Mahomes popularity has helped the ratings. I've lost some interest in football over the years and only interested in the Chiefs, and Mahomes is mainly responsible for that. 

This forum is great, but back in the early 2000's, in it's first version it was way more active. 

I know you want to wait a few days and save money.....but these are the Chiefs and you can't do it!  LOL

Archived