Spags the favorite to replace Werthers? (Schefter)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our guy! Makes a lot of sense other than he prefers a 4-3. Straight off Jim Johnson’s blitz heavy coaching tree he’s had high level Super Bowl defenses, been good at developing Dlines and is a guy Andy could just turn the reigns over too and keep his focus on continuing to develop Mahomes and the offense. 

1 minute ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Idk whats ugh about it. Hes had real success at DC and the dude runs a super aggressive attacking scheme. Groomed under Jimmy Johnson.

He'll be 60.  He had success in 2008.  As a DC since, his defenses have ranked 31st or 32nd 3 out of 4 times.

Just now, reesebobby said:

He'll be 60.  He had success in 2008.  As a DC since, his defenses have ranked 31st or 32nd 3 out of 4 times.

age has nothing to do with it Andy wil be 62 next season.... his recent history certainly does tho.. I fear a GRob to Gunther transistion where they both sucked

Just now, oldtimer said:

age has nothing to do with it Andy wil be 62 next season.... his recent history certainly does tho.. I fear a GRob to Gunther transistion where they both sucked

Age has something to do with it, the game evolves.  He's been out of the game for a year.  The game has changed since the days when a Spags defense was good.  That's just a fact. 

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

How old is Reid?

When Reid starts throwing out 31st and 32nd ranked offenses, then we may talk about his age.  Reid has done a great job of evolving with the game.  He's brought in spread offense experts, has a 49 year old co offensive coordinator.  When was the last decent Spags defense?

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

Age has something to do with it, the game evolves.  He's been out of the game for a year.  The game has changed since the days when a Spags defense was good.  That's just a fact. 

Well hes a lot more qualified than Werthers. And it would be fun to watch an attacking defense again, don't you agree?

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well hes a lot more qualified than Werthers. And it would be fun to watch an attacking defense again, don't you agree?

I'd rather have my mom be the DC than Bob Sutton.  But I'd much rather have a young up and coming DC that is relevant in today's NFL.  And I'd love to see us be more aggressive, no doubt. 

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

When Reid starts throwing out 31st and 32nd ranked offenses, then we may talk about his age.  Reid has done a great job of evolving with the game.  He's brought in spread offense experts, has a 49 year old co offensive coordinator.  When was the last decent Spags defense?

It was 2016. Top 10 defense with NYG.

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'd rather have my mom be the DC than Bob Sutton.  But I'd much rather have a young up and coming DC that is relevant in today's NFL.  And I'd love to see us be more aggressive, no doubt. 

I agree but if we go bye Reid wanting to turn a defense over to the new cordinator, most likely that won't be a younger guy. Most likely an ex head coach, cordinator from the past. Spags dosen't get me really excited but if I think about Bob being here he does.

3 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It was 2016. Top 10 defense with NYG.

Bob Sutton had a 7th ranked defense the year before that.  And Spags sandwiched his top 10 defense with two 32s and a 31.  I just don't want to get into another Bob Sutton thing with a guy that used to be good, but doesn't fit in today's NFL.  He might not be that guy, but he hasn't had a lot of recent success. 

Coaching philosophy[edit]

Spagnuolo learned under Philadelphia coach Jim Johnson, and shares the same aggressive, blitz-heavy approach as his mentor. (He did not incorporate this philosophy during his time in New Orleans however). Spagnuolo uses a 4–3 base defense with a heavy emphasis on multiple blitz packages, including corner and safety blitzes. While defensive coordinator of the New York Giants, he often used a smaller defensive line, with three or even four defensive ends to further pressure the quarterback.

This philosophy proved successful, with the Giants leading the NFL in sacks in 2007. In Super Bowl XLII, Spagnuolo's defense sacked Tom Brady five times, which was the most he had been sacked in any game that season.

13 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Understandable concern. But he was thrown to the wolves in New Orleans amid the bounty scandal and handed players that didn’t fit his system. He had one good year out of three his last stint with the NYG. But doesn’t that entire situation just wreak of a veteran discombobulated locker room?  I mean his head coach didn’t even make it through the season his last year  

To me this is a competent coach who’s proven he can develop players and come up with good game plans vs quality teams. It was his defense that took down the best Patriots offense ever. And more than anything we need a guy who’s defense shows up in January  

Kris Richard would be my first choice. But as a fit Spagnuola is the type of guy we need along with a different vision of the defense his 4-3 base could bring. I definitely prefer him to Rex Ryan although both certainly are not without flaws  

Fixing this defense is going to take a lot more than one hire.  

Archived