Spags the favorite to replace Werthers? (Schefter)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Troyofoc said:

Hopefully its schefter reaching because of the ties with Reid. Everyone knows Reid doesn't go outside the box much.

I think he is definitely reaching. I realistically think Reid is going to try and think this through.  My worries are that with spagnuolo, we end up worse off. I personally think we have the players to win, it comes down to disguise and pressure. Willing to adjust, mix thing up. Play to strengths of players and not try to make them fit the scheme.

Can we really judge a potential DC hire by his former team rankings?  There's so many reasons why a D is good or bad and unless the DC has been on the same job for several years with good players, it's hard to forecast his effectiveness.  Sutton was a known quantity with a long term fail rate in spite of numerous drafts and personnel changes.  We KNOW his system and coaching would never work.  Can't say the same at this point about  Spags.

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Can we really judge a potential DC hire by his former team rankings?  There's so many reasons why a D is good or bad and unless the DC has been on the same job for several years with good players, it's hard to forecast his effectiveness.  Sutton was a known quantity with a long term fail rate in spite of numerous drafts and personnel changes.  We KNOW his system and coaching would never work.  Can't say the same at this point about  Spags.

I agree, there's a lot to go into it.  But you have to have a starting point to even discuss it.  And it raises questions.  We are talking about half of his time as DC, and he is 60 years old.  Furthermore he was a head coach on some pretty marginal defensive teams.  If we shouldn't consider his stats then I'm not sure what there is to talk about.  And this is not about Sutton.  He's gone and we are all glad.  It's about what we want in a candidate going forward.  I just have reservations about hiring an aging guy that has been out of the game for a year and had his best years when Brett Favre and Donovan McNabb were still playing.  We need a guy that can make chicken salad out of chicken **** and apparently he's not done that.  

Worked for

Name Role
Tom Coughlin Defensive Coordinator
Joe Gibbs Player Personnel Intern
John Harbaugh Sr. Defensive Asst., Secondary
Ben McAdoo Defensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator/Interim HC
Sean Payton Defensive Coordinator
Andy Reid Defensive Assistant/Quality Control, Linebackers, Defensive Backs

Defensive Assistant/Quality Control, Linebackers, Defensive Backs

It is hard to tell how anyone will work out. All we know is Bob Sutton accomplished some dubious stats this year and got worse as time progressed. I’d prefer a younger guy, but a younger guy may get snagged up quickly if we become top 10 all of a sudden.

I personally think it is a combination of coaching and talent. We have one good all around LB, a pure pass rusher, a dominating interior linemen, and a couple of physical man to man corners. We need a lot of help. Until proven otherwise, Kpass, Speaks, and Kevari Russell are why our defense sucks. Couple with signings of the quickly cut Amersons and Scandricks of the world... whoever comes in will need at least two years to rebuild. Got to dump the bad contracts by 2020.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

It would cost his new team 21 million.

Wrong...It's exactly $15.5M.  The prorated bonus stays with KC as dead money and the new team is only on the hook for his base salary and with his contract, the workout bonus or $500k.

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Bend don’t break defenses don’t give up the 5th fewest first downs. That simple. Spags did a phenomenal job building an elite defense his last full season as DC. His defenses have also only had one bad game in six playoff tries including the best defensive effort in Super Bowl history. 

Really?

I would think the 200 Ravens Defense had the best performance.

66 yds rushing

15-39 112yds 0TD 4 INT

152 Total Yds

O points allowed

Cant get much better than that

3 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Really?

I would think the 200 Ravens Defense had the best performance.

66 yds rushing

15-39 112yds 0TD 4 INT

152 Total Yds

O points allowed

Cant get much better than that

Surely you can understand that context matters.  The 2007 Patriots were an all-time offense, the 2000 Giants were not.

Here's Defensive rankings for yards and points

2007   7 17

2008   5  5

2009  29  31

2010  19  12

2011  22  26

2012  32  31 (This is when he broke the record for most points ever allowed in NO)

(Nobody touched him for years after that)

2015 32  30

2016 10   2

2017 31  27

vs another retread in Rex Ryan

2007  6  22

2008  2   3

2009  1  1

2010  3  6

2011  5  20

2012  8  20

2013 11 19

2014  6  24

2015  19  15

2016  19  16

So at worst, Rex was 19th in yards allowed and 24th and points allowed while Spags was 32nd (multiple times) in yards allowed and 31st in points allowed.  Hm

Until reports coming out of an interview, I'm not taking any of this seriously.  

Spags is a Reid guy so I'm sure the Chiefs will hear what he has to say, but the Chiefs need to turn over every stone they can to find the answer on defense.

I'm not impressed by Spags' recent track record.

I would take Rex Ryan over him, but again, I hope the Chiefs exhaust every opportunity out there.

22 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Surely you can understand that context matters.  The 2007 Patriots were an all-time offense, the 2000 Giants were not.

Not when you use words like "In Super Bowl History"

The Giants in 2000 had just torched the Vikings for 44 points

Brady had a pedestrian 255 yds with 2 tds and 1 int.

But a shutout in the SB is something special.

14 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Here's Defensive rankings for yards and points

2007   7 17

2008   5  5

2009  29  31

2010  19  12

2011  22  26

2012  32  31 (This is when he broke the record for most points ever allowed in NO)

(Nobody touched him for years after that) To be fair, this was the Bountygate year.....lots of crap going on....

2015 32  30

2016 10   2

2017 31  27

vs another retread in Rex Ryan

2007  6  22

2008  2   3

2009  1  1

2010  3  6

2011  5  20

2012  8  20

2013 11 19

2014  6  24

2015  19  15

2016  19  16

So at worst, Rex was 19th in yards allowed and 24th and points allowed while Spags was 32nd (multiple times) in yards allowed and 31st in points allowed.  Hm

2 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Not when you use words like "In Super Bowl History"

The Giants in 2000 had just torched the Vikings for 44 points

Brady had a pedestrian 255 yds with 2 tds and 1 int.

But a shutout in the SB is something special.

That phrase doesn't really change the argument.  The Ravens performance was an all-timer, no doubt.  By raw stats, they have a great case.  But one cherry picked game aside, the 2000 Giants weren't in the same league offensively as the 2007 Patriots.  To make an all-time offense look relatively incompetent and pull off an upset no one expected is another solid case.  There isn't an objectively correct answer because it's subjective as to which criteria should even be used.

Also, you can't claim a shutout if it's not actually a shutout.  I realize it was a special teams TD, but that falls with the defense; it's not like it was fumble or interception return.

20 minutes ago, dksww said:

Until reports coming out of an interview, I'm not taking any of this seriously.  

Spags is a Reid guy so I'm sure the Chiefs will hear what he has to say, but the Chiefs need to turn over every stone they can to find the answer on defense.

I'm not impressed by Spags' recent track record.

I would take Rex Ryan over him, but again, I hope the Chiefs exhaust every opportunity out there.

Why would you not take it seriously? Schefter and Rappaport are the 2 top names in the country when it comes to NFL insider analysts. They are both saying he's the favorite. How often do these 2 BOTH completely whiff on something? 

Do you think Reid needs to sit down face to face  to interview a guy hes known this long and worked with extensively?

4 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Well if Spags is the guy, I would probably probably rip the bandaid off and do it from the ground up the right way.

Cut:

Ragland and Houston

Tag and trade:

Dee Ford

Move DoD and Hitchens to the outside.  Would need to find a Mike and a couple DE's

Weren't Speaks and Tanoh both DE's in College?  Not saying they're worth not pursuing other options, but they were drafted and are already on the roster.  

22 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Why would you not take it seriously? Schefter and Rappaport are the 2 top names in the country when it comes to NFL insider analysts. They are both saying he's the favorite. How often do these 2 BOTH completely whiff on something? 

Do you think Reid needs to sit down face to face  to interview a guy hes known this long and worked with extensively?

Schefter also said that Rex Ryan was a possibility as well.

4 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Weren't Speaks and Tanoh both DE's in College?  Not saying they're worth not pursuing other options, but they were drafted and are already on the roster.  

I don't think Speaks really translates over to DE in the NFL very well, at least in the form of Defense they will likely be running if Spags is the hire.  I think he'd be better off kicking inside and rotating with Chris Jones.

Tanoh would be a better fit, but they really need at least 4 DE's and with Tanoh uh they would have 1.  That's a major issue.

8 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I don't think Speaks really translates over to DE in the NFL very well, at least in the form of Defense they will likely be running if Spags is the hire.  I think he'd be better off kicking inside and rotating with Chris Jones.

Tanoh would be a better fit, but they really need at least 4 DE's and with Tanoh uh they would have 1.  That's a major issue.

So if retained where does Houston play? At DE. So thats 2. And you like Speaks better inside. Which is fine. That doesnt mean he will play inside. He will likely play DE like he did some in college. So thats 3. Then we draft one. Like Jaylon Ferguson. Just throwing one out.

So a group of Houston, Tanoh, Speaks and Ferguson doesnt sound like a solid unit to you? 

4 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

So if retained where does Houston play? At DE. So thats 2. And you like Speaks better inside. Which is fine. That doesnt mean he will play inside. He will likely play DE like he did some in college. So thats 3. Then we draft one. Like Jaylon Ferguson. Just throwing one out.

So a group of Houston, Tanoh, Speaks and Ferguson doesnt sound like a solid unit to you? 

Houston is likely gone.  I don't imagine a scenario where he's collecting 21 million dollars.  You can bounce Speaks outside, but you either run the risk of a tired Speaks who has no stamina to start or you'll just need another 3 tech. 

Do you want to shoot your hand or your foot?

Archived