Spags the favorite to replace Werthers? (Schefter)

44 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

That phrase doesn't really change the argument.  The Ravens performance was an all-timer, no doubt.  By raw stats, they have a great case.  But one cherry picked game aside, the 2000 Giants weren't in the same league offensively as the 2007 Patriots.  To make an all-time offense look relatively incompetent and pull off an upset no one expected is another solid case.  There isn't an objectively correct answer because it's subjective as to which criteria should even be used.

Also, you can't claim a shutout if it's not actually a shutout.  I realize it was a special teams TD, but that falls with the defense; it's not like it was fumble or interception return.

Unreal.....just to make Spags look better.....LOL

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

It is hard to tell how anyone will work out. All we know is Bob Sutton accomplished some dubious stats this year and got worse as time progressed. I’d prefer a younger guy, but a younger guy may get snagged up quickly if we become top 10 all of a sudden.

I personally think it is a combination of coaching and talent. We have one good all around LB, a pure pass rusher, a dominating interior linemen, and a couple of physical man to man corners. We need a lot of help. Until proven otherwise, Kpass, Speaks, and Kevari Russell are why our defense sucks. Couple with signings of the quickly cut Amersons and Scandricks of the world... whoever comes in will need at least two years to rebuild. Got to dump the bad contracts by 2020.

I agree. It's not just ability to game plan and make adjustments. It's also an overall different vision where we both aren't trying to fit square pegs in round holes and also we need a guy not afraid to play and develop young guys because we will have a bunch of them. 

6 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Houston is likely gone.  I don't imagine a scenario where he's collecting 21 million dollars.  You can bounce Speaks outside, but you either run the risk of a tired Speaks who has no stamina to start or you'll just need another 3 tech. 

Do you want to shoot your hand or your foot?

I thought Speaks had a high motor which comps for his lack of speed.

Just now, Handswarmer said:

Unreal.....just to make Spags look better.....LOL

I've got no interest in defending Spags, I was debating your homerism over the best defensive performance in SB history.

As for Spags, I'm pretty unimpressed at his overall resume.  But at least he's had some high highs. 

4 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I thought Speaks had a high motor which comps for his lack of speed.

He does have a pretty good motor, but it's a lot harder to use that to compensate in the NFL than it was in Oxford.

It's not a bad thing though.  The Chiefs should ideally be at least 2 deep along the DL and really they've used the piss out of Chris Jones since he came in.  They need a 3.

4 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Payton wasn't there either having been suspended also. Team gave up....I wouldn't put it on Spags

Look at the film and tell me the Chiefs unit didn't quit at multiple times.  Spags squads have quit on him in multiple stops (STL, NO, NY) which has to absolutely raise some major red flags.

Sometimes you've just gotta go and play.

10 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Houston is likely gone.  I don't imagine a scenario where he's collecting 21 million dollars.  You can bounce Speaks outside, but you either run the risk of a tired Speaks who has no stamina to start or you'll just need another 3 tech. 

Do you want to shoot your hand or your foot?

I mean they have the draft and free agency in front of them. If we release Houston we will have close to 40 mill.

I dont think Speaks will be a great pass rusher at DE. But he can damn sure run defend better than Bailey.

13 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I mean they have the draft and free agency in front of them. If we release Houston we will have close to 40 mill.

I dont think Speaks will be a great pass rusher at DE. But he can damn sure run defend better than Bailey.

Yeah they'll have the ability to add and absolutely would have to in order to see some actual improvement.  I do think Jones-Speaks at 3 and Nnadi-Hamilton at 2 is a pretty decent inside, but man would they be so weak on the edges.

I might be in the minority here, but I think changing everything is a bit too much.  They needed to add some talent (which is easier to do with 4 picks in the first 2 days) and some coaches that give a crap about teaching.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Really?

I would think the 200 Ravens Defense had the best performance.

66 yds rushing

15-39 112yds 0TD 4 INT

152 Total Yds

O points allowed

Cant get much better than that

All relative to the opponent. The Ravens played a very mediocre Giants offense than ranked 15th in the NFL and averaged barely over 20 PPG. The Giants played the best offense in NFL history who averaged 37 PPG.  As a matter of course they both put in absolutely brilliant performances...But the Giants held the Patriots 21 points below their average where the Ravens held the Giants 20 points below their average. So yes you could make the case it was the best. But this is pure semantics. 

On point all I care about is a coordinator who can put a good plan together and make some good adjustments against another elite offense and hold them under 28 points (which Spags has done in 5 of his 6 playoff games). If we can do that with our offense, we have a good chance to be in Miami next year and hopefully win it. We really can't play any worse defense against the good teams than we did this year.  

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I can’t believe im saying this but if spags is the hire i will be close to losing hope.

i have so much faith in mahomes that i think he will overcome these asinine decisions coming from management, but my god they are trying to make it as hard as possible on the kid.

Id really like the hire and feel confident he could put together a complimentary defense that could help us hoist the Lombardi as he's done it before. It just makes sense to me. I understood from the get go others wouldn't agree. But then again I don't think Rex Ryan is a good fit and many others did. This is a competent coach though. You could make the case Sutton was not.  

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I wonder who you guys would prefer then?   Don't get give us some blanket response but rather a name or two.   Pretty easy to nitpick guys but never express you would hire.   

Rex Ryan if you want a no nonsense coach who runs the same scheme we already have but runs it more aggressively and holds players accountable too not be little pu$$ies and be ran through the dirt up and down the field and too actually make some damn stops!!

15 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Rex Ryan if you want a no nonsense coach who runs the same scheme we already have but runs it more aggressively and holds players accountable too not be little pu$$ies and be ran through the dirt up and down the field and too actually make some damn stops!!

I agree. Bart Scott said that was the difference between Ryan and Sutton. He played for Rex and Sutton was on that staff at the time also.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/steve-spagnuolo-has-giants-defense-in-championship-form-1.12773077

https://www.bigblueview.com/2015/8/5/9086887/ny-giants-defense-2015-steve-spaguoolo-devon-kennard-landon-collins

If you listen to how the defensive players describe the defense that Spagnuolo is installing, it's plain to see that the core of his philosophy hasn't changed. Players on both sides of the ball are constantly using words like "Aggressive", "Attacking", "Swarming", and "Relentless" when talking about the new defense.

22 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/steve-spagnuolo-has-giants-defense-in-championship-form-1.12773077

https://www.bigblueview.com/2015/8/5/9086887/ny-giants-defense-2015-steve-spaguoolo-devon-kennard-landon-collins

If you listen to how the defensive players describe the defense that Spagnuolo is installing, it's plain to see that the core of his philosophy hasn't changed. Players on both sides of the ball are constantly using words like "Aggressive", "Attacking", "Swarming", and "Relentless" when talking about the new defense.

I've heard that same bs out of out own players about Sutton. What's a player supposed to say? It's like coach speak. We can say the same thing about the pass rush...buuuuttt when it matters it's prevent and gets chewed up.

3 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I've heard that same bs out of out own players about Sutton. What's a player supposed to say? It's like coach speak. We can say the same thing about the pass rush...buuuuttt when it matters it's prevent and gets chewed up.

You clearly did not read the stories. 

Not sure why we would sign brandon graham for big money when we already have an overweight 4-3 end on the roster in speaks.

i am not high on speaks but id sure rather give him a chance while he is a cheap player than spend the money on basically the same person

52 minutes ago, NChiefsCorner said:

If the Chiefs go with Spagnuolo, I could see them signing free agent DE Brandon Graham, #6 ranked 4-3 defense DE.

58 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Injured way too much to ever be someone you could rely on.

I think if you make it incentive based they may stay healthy. Get a good deal for them and covers us in case we get another Berry or Houston on our hands.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

I think if you make it incentive based they may stay healthy. Get a good deal for them and covers us in case we get another Berry or Houston on our hands.

He had a heck of a lot of incentive to stay healthy in 2018 and still missed time.  The dude just can't stay in the line up.

Archived