Agents take- Whats next for the Chiefs

4 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Would seem to be pretty foolish to let the most lethal weapon in the NFL walk away.  Seems pretty knee jerk of a reaction to base that off a single game against a Hall of Fame coach that's the best at taking away what you do best and making you beat him another way.

Amen to that. You don’t let a top 5 player at his position who teams have to account for on every play go!  Tyreek is only 24, tough as nails and only getting better as a WR.  It’s because of him being doubled and bracketed all game that we made adjustments and scored 31 points in the second half as Watkins and Williams had mismatches.  

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Give him another year. See if he can stay in the lineup. Is it worth paying Tyreek honestly? If we really believe in Mahomes and his abilities he should be like Tom Brady and make everyone else better right? 

Hill seems to make a solid target for Mahomes and considering that Mahomes is still "growing" it's likely a very good idea to have such a weapon around. I don't know what Hill's trade value would be considering even Cooper warranted a 1st but at the right price I think they would rely on Mahomes and trade Hill but otherwise he's more likely staying in town. His extension won't be a factor until 2021 unless the Chiefs want it to. So it's basically replacing Watkins' deal. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Hill seems to make a solid target for Mahomes and considering that Mahomes is still "growing" it's likely a very good idea to have such a weapon around. I don't know what Hill's trade value would be considering even Cooper warranted a 1st but at the right price I think they would rely on Mahomes and trade Hill but otherwise he's more likely staying in town. His extension won't be a factor until 2021 unless the Chiefs want it to. So it's basically replacing Watkins' deal. 

We need to be in the business of signing elite players who can actually stay on the field like Hill rather than those with a history of injury issues. Those are the guys we need to pawn off on trades with other teams when their value is high. 

Because of the dead money, we are stuck with Berry this year.

There is no reason to cut Fischer.

Watkins contract is a two-year; he'll be gone in 2020.

We either pay Houston $21 million or absorb  $7m dead hit this year.

As for Ford, the answer lies in what percentage of these overpaid leaches actually live up to their contract versus immediately start getting hurt.  If they sign Ford, I figure it will be a joint news conference to both announce his signing and his going on the disabled listed or having surgery.  

2 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

Because of the dead money, we are stuck with Berry this year.

There is no reason to cut Fischer.

Watkins contract is a two-year; he'll be gone in 2020.

We either pay Houston $21 million or absorb  $7m dead hit this year.

As for Ford, the answer lies in what percentage of these overpaid leaches actually live up to their contract versus immediately start getting hurt.  If they sign Ford, I figure it will be a joint news conference to both announce his signing and his going on the disabled listed or having surgery.  

Sign your best players who have proven they can keep themselves on the field like Tyreek Hill. And trade the players who have high value but have a history of injuries. AKA Tag and trade Dee Ford makes sense. But because we should release Houston, just tagging him and making him prove he can go another year without an injury does make sense too. They probably won't want to lose both OLBs in one offseason from a team that was one play from the Super Bowl. Especially when basically anyone they hire will be an upgrade over Sutton. But to me the defense failed again and again vs the really good teams so I'm not sure a whole new core wouldn't work just as well even if they are young. 

My opinion is you can't let a Dee Ford walk under any circumstances.  The disruption he causes to the offensive line, pressures of the QB and strip-sacks are extraordinarily difficult to replace. Back injury and offside penalty aside, his production is invaluable.  He's young and is just coming into his prime.  You don't let a player of this caliber and age walk.  With Ford and Jones on the line, Houston is expendable and more easily replaced with young, cheap talent (Speaks/draft).

12 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Watkins was our best receiver Sunday. I don't think you part ways with him. Hill, yes was taken out of the game yet I saw no fire from when they released the mic'd up. I'd rather pay Chris Jones. 

Read this

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/23/bill-belichick-highlights-double-covering-tyreek-hill-as-key-to-patriots-win/

22 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Speaks to the massive value of both Hill as a catalyst teams have to account for and Watkins who can’t be handled in single coverage when they double Tyreek.  Andy’s adjustments at halftime capitalized on this but it was probably Mahomes missing Williams several times in the first half which help cost us game. Again Williams doesn’t get that open without Tyreek.  There’s a decent chance with some injury luck this offense actually improves in 2019 as Mahomes learns better how to burn teams for doubling Tyreek. 

55 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

My opinion is you can't let a Dee Ford walk under any circumstances.  The disruption he causes to the offensive line, pressures of the QB and strip-sacks are extraordinarily difficult to replace. Back injury and offside penalty aside, his production is invaluable.  He's young and is just coming into his prime.  You don't let a player of this caliber and age walk.  With Ford and Jones on the line, Houston is expendable and more easily replaced with young, cheap talent (Speaks/draft).

Absolutely paying guys with major injuries has done wonders for the Chiefs. Probably the only reason we keep winning the SB year after year. 

19 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Absolutely paying guys with major injuries has done wonders for the Chiefs. Probably the only reason we keep winning the SB year after year. 

I agree with this completely. But I’ve got no problem tagging Ford and seeing if he can hold up for 32 straight games before making that decision.  Meanwhile both Tyreek and Chris Jones havent missed a full game in three seasons and are only 24 years old.  Pay those guys now.

12 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I agree with this completely. But I’ve got no problem tagging Ford and seeing if he can hold up for 32 straight games before making that decision.  Meanwhile both Tyreek and Chris Jones havent missed a full game in three seasons and are only 24 years old.  Pay those guys now.

Agree completely,  we've only got so many picks in the draft and maybe half work out. Ford must be tagged as he was a big reason we had any D at all this year, but I'd pretty much let him go next year, I just don't trust him long term. I'd like to see Berry & Houston restructure as Houston is still above average and can actually tackle. Hill is a must resign and Jones, you don't let elite talent walk out the door and they ball every week. 

Keep Watkins this year.NE took away Hill and Kelce...without him where would Pat have gone that game? 

Going to be an interesting offense. Keep the O together another year and next year will be scary. Just need an average D and we could start our own dynasty.

I think players will want to come to KC to work under Andy and play with Pat. This combo is a game changer in every facet.

14 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The only sensible move to keep Ford is actually tagging him for a year and may be two if needed. At 28 I'm not sure if he signs the tender though as this is probably his only shot at a big deal. Even if he leaves I think the tag is a very likely scenario regardless so we'll get to see how things turn out.

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

The only sensible move to keep Ford is actually tagging him for a year and may be two if needed. At 28 I'm not sure if he signs the tender though as this is probably his only shot at a big deal. Even if he leaves I think the tag is a very likely scenario regardless so we'll get to see how things turn out.

He already has said he would sign the tag. 

Ford said he would prefer to remain with the Chiefs. Being named the franchise player is a possibility for Ford, at a cost of around $15 million. He said he would sign the franchise tender if offered. "No-brainer right there," he said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/26101/dee-fords-sour-ending-doesnt-change-breakout-season-with-chiefs

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Ford said he would prefer to remain with the Chiefs. Being named the franchise player is a possibility for Ford, at a cost of around $15 million. He said he would sign the franchise tender if offered. "No-brainer right there," he said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/26101/dee-fords-sour-ending-doesnt-change-breakout-season-with-chiefs

In that case as long as the back holds up the tag is basically a guarantee. Might be some interesting offseason drama depending on what Spags thinks of him. 

8 hours ago, kkuenn said:

That cost is going to increase unless they decide to play him at LB for some dumb reason. 

18 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

If they have free agents they want beyond the limited cap room, Justin Houston is obviously the guy who gets cut. I could see him restructure. I imagine he sees a chance at a ring and he isn’t getting mega money if cut.

Berry and Watkins are probably gone in March 2020.

no way in hell unless they get traded for and nobody is going to take that kind of cap hit  for layers who wont /cant play 16 games in a row

On 1/24/2019 at 7:54 AM, Mloe68 said:

Speaks to the massive value of both Hill as a catalyst teams have to account for and Watkins who can’t be handled in single coverage when they double Tyreek.  Andy’s adjustments at halftime capitalized on this but it was probably Mahomes missing Williams several times in the first half which help cost us game. Again Williams doesn’t get that open without Tyreek.  There’s a decent chance with some injury luck this offense actually improves in 2019 as Mahomes learns better how to burn teams for doubling Tyreek. 

Surprised that it took Andy that long to adjust considering we all knew here that bills nimber one priority would be to take hill away. As predicted before the game.

12 hours ago, NChiefsCorner said:

I think the Chiefs should look into signing Colts guard Mark Glowinski, he only allowed 1 sack last year.

Well we have LDT at RG. Has Glowinski played LG at all? If he can do so it would be a good fit for us.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well we have LDT at RG. Has Glowinski played LG at all? If he can do so it would be a good fit for us.

They could be thinking Erving at LG or OC considering the extension. I think one of those positions will be available for FA/draft. However I would take care of OC first. 

4 hours ago, Calichief said:

Surprised that it took Andy that long to adjust considering we all knew here that bills nimber one priority would be to take hill away. As predicted before the game.

The wheel route to Williams in the first half completely torched the Patriots as Williams had nobody within 5 yards of him for an easy TD. An amped up Mahomes just overthrew it. I think at that point he had it figured out. 

38 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I think that's a testament to how well the Pats gameplanned for it

Good game plan for sure but Mahomes missed a couple of easy first half passes that cost us 7-10 points. The wheel route call was a thing of beauty.  Heck in the second half BB broke his IPAD in two his defense got so gobbled up on another play to Williams. Unfortunately the defense has no such adjustments and just bled this team into a coin flip which decided it. 

Archived