Agents take- Whats next for the Chiefs

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Good game plan for sure but Mahomes missed a couple of easy first half passes that cost us 7-10 points. The wheel route call was a thing of beauty.  Heck in the second half BB broke his IPAD in two his defense got so gobbled up on another play to Williams. Unfortunately the defense has no such adjustments and just bled this team into a coin flip which decided it. 

It's hard to bottle up Andy and Pat for 4 quarters.  It was at least just enough to get the win on the road.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, liquidfriend said:

It's hard to bottle up Andy and Pat for 4 quarters.  It was at least just enough to get the win on the road.

No doubt. They really had a great game plan to protect Brady and make him more pawn than queen until crunch time. And kept our O off the field. And then taking away our primary weapons stalled our attack enough to get job done  

Yes we were one Dee Ford neutral zone infraction from playing for the Lombardi on Sunday.  But all things considered I just have to hand it to the Patriots who had a great game plan and executed it well.  

On 1/24/2019 at 10:22 AM, sith13 said:

Absolutely paying guys with major injuries has done wonders for the Chiefs. Probably the only reason we keep winning the SB year after year. 

Well, it's not like he's missed an inordinate amount of games. According to his stats he's missed 13 games in five years. Hardly seems to validate your "major injuries" assessment. He missed 10 of those 13 last year alone. Recency bias may be at play here, but outside one year, he's been very durable and reliable. He seemed to bounce back just fine in 2018 and didn't miss a start this past year. 

You cant compare Dee Ford to Houston or Berry no matter how much you may want to. You also can't scheme around or just hope to replace his production with a FA or draftee - they could always get hurt too. 

1 hour ago, TomahawkChop said:

Well, it's not like he's missed an inordinate amount of games. According to his stats he's missed 13 games in five years. Hardly seems to validate your "major injuries" assessment. He missed 10 of those 13 last year alone. Recency bias may be at play here, but outside one year, he's been very durable and reliable. He seemed to bounce back just fine in 2018 and didn't miss a start this past year. 

You cant compare Dee Ford to Houston or Berry no matter how much you may want to. You also can't scheme around or just hope to replace his production with a FA or draftee - they could always get hurt too. 

Dee Ford was not even a starter for his first few years and when he finally did become one he was injured. What scares me is it was a back injury too

53 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Dee Ford was not even a starter for his first few years and when he finally did become one he was injured. What scares me is it was a back injury too

I think Dee Ford will pull a "Jack Move" if he gets paid. If we sign him to a long term deal, he'll probably avg 7 games a year (injuries) and  6 sacks  till the last year of that contract....

I personally don't trust Dee Ford at all.  Im in for tagging and trading him.

Renegotiate with Houston, and roll with Houston and Speaks/Kpass as your Defensive Ends in the 4-3 defense.

3 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He played the entire year without missing a game.  It's not my money, so I'd rather see the Chiefs sign one of the best pass rushers in the league as opposed to a tag/trade scenario as has been proposed.  I don't know what kind of compensation would be expected in that sort of transaction, but replacing Ford's production via the draft is a 50/50 proposition - at best.

1 hour ago, TomahawkChop said:

He played the entire year without missing a game.  It's not my money, so I'd rather see the Chiefs sign one of the best pass rushers in the league as opposed to a tag/trade scenario as has been proposed.  I don't know what kind of compensation would be expected in that sort of transaction, but replacing Ford's production via the draft is a 50/50 proposition - at best.

If they think Ford is a fit in this defense then we tag him and make him prove himself another season. If they don't think he's a fit you tag and trade him. I just don't feel comfortable giving a one year wonder type with prior back issues a huge contract. At its most simple form, I think these seem to be the clear options as finding pass rushers in this league is not easy. Just ask Jon Gruden.  

But another thing to think about is how many more pass rush opportunities our offense creates to possibly overinflate production of our pass rushers. Is Dee Ford in Detroit, Miami or NY a 13 sacks, 7 FF guy? Seems unlikely. He's never been worth more than he is right now, as such isn't there value in selling an overpriced commodity?

I'm torn here really. 

6 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

No way you pay a guy that played only 1 full season and did that one with an injury due to the contract year. If they want to keep him the only realistic option is tagging for a year to see how things turn out. Also it's not entirely someone else's money as there's something called the cap and paying someone means not paying someone else. That being said we probably already have his replacement in town with Speaks who could possibly have better production as a solid run guy who can rush the passer. IMO Ford or Houston leaves this year as the logical choice, having both in town doesn't make any sense. In that equation Houston is the better guy right now but at 30 he won't be better for long so asking Ford to prove himself for a year in 4-3 could be the way to go.

20 hours ago, artsy said:

I think Dee Ford will pull a "Jack Move" if he gets paid. If we sign him to a long term deal, he'll probably avg 7 games a year (injuries) and  6 sacks  till the last year of that contract....

I personally don't trust Dee Ford at all.  Im in for tagging and trading him.

Renegotiate with Houston, and roll with Houston and Speaks/Kpass as your Defensive Ends in the 4-3 defense.

I don't trust him either. 

18 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

If they think Ford is a fit in this defense then we tag him and make him prove himself another season. If they don't think he's a fit you tag and trade him. I just don't feel comfortable giving a one year wonder type with prior back issues a huge contract. At its most simple form, I think these seem to be the clear options as finding pass rushers in this league is not easy. Just ask Jon Gruden.  

But another thing to think about is how many more pass rush opportunities our offense creates to possibly overinflate production of our pass rushers. Is Dee Ford in Detroit, Miami or NY a 13 sacks, 7 FF guy? Seems unlikely. He's never been worth more than he is right now, as such isn't there value in selling an overpriced commodity?

I'm torn here really. 

I don't think this is mentioned enough.   We played with a lead most of the year which increased pass rush opportunities.  I think we should tag and trade him for a 2nd rounder if we could and even take a 3rd rounder as that would be better than waiting until next year.  I have a hard time believing some team wouldn't take him for that.  I'm not sure we don't cut Houston as well.   A guy like Frank Clark would be a better option in our new 4-3.

14 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I don't think this is mentioned enough.   We played with a lead most of the year which increased pass rush opportunities.  I think we should tag and trade him for a 2nd rounder if we could and even take a 3rd rounder as that would be better than waiting until next year.  I have a hard time believing some team wouldn't take him for that.  I'm not sure we don't cut Houston as well.   A guy like Frank Clark would be a better option in our new 4-3.

I doubt Clark will be available. They are trying to keep him in town and hoping to get some discount. If he chooses to come over we would have to pay him big bucks. Getting rid of Houston with the dead money and paying a FA would be a huge cap hit for 2019. I'm not sure if the difference between them would justify the switch. Keeping Houston for a year (or a bit longer) and drafting his replacement next year could be the cheaper way to go. Houston started regression as a coverage guy but that won't be a factor in 4-3. 

If we are going for a FA I would probably target KJ Wright instead. Seahawks don't seem to like keeping guys after a certain age and can seem to coach up any LB. With DOD and Hitchens in town we might be set at front 7 with just a new OLB. 

Archived