810 just reported Spags is hired.

Was breaking news on the station.  Looking over the interwebs hadn't found anything.

But sounds like it's a done deal.

Breaking: Chiefs hiring Steve Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator, per report

The Kansas City Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, according to a report from NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

More to come.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24/18196538/breaking-chiefs-hiring-steve-spagnuolo-as-defensive-coordinator-per-report?fbclid=IwAR2CZud8yU20ayTTj_65lg69gBj_vLNyvvYyWnJLgAa_r1L1wVhkESOx9zE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's the guy Ive thought would be a good hire since last year so I will eat crow if it doesn't work out. But I think this is a good fit that will get us a Lombardi. His defenses have a history of being way up or way down but they have only given up more than 23 points once in 6 playoff games. And he knows how to game plan for the Patriots. Most importantly I wanted anyone from outside of the organization so that we could really look at the talent level without any preconcieved notions or be forced to make agenda ridden decisions. 

Rishard was my first choice this year but that wasn't even possibile. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Will he have authority to hire and fire assistants?  The Chiefs need some teachers for the talent that never seems to develop. 

Great question. I’d love to see Spags bring in a young innovative guy to be his number 2. A guy who could relate with and teach what will he a young roster.  

He is outside the organization but he is still a coach that has worked for Reid in the past.  I was hoping for someone completely outside of Reid himself that wouldn't have any ties back to him(yes sir kinda guy) that would flat out change the identity of the defense.  Hopefully that happens with him still.  The up and downs of his defenses scare me some....when they were good they were very good but on the other end they were historically bad like worst defense ever.  I don't know the rosters of any of those teams so that could of been the issue but still scares me.

Chiefs just make it so hard on the fans and themselves.

way to remove enthusiasm for next season so quickly chiefs, when this hire eats away the cheap years of mahomes contract with the same defensive incompetence we have all come to know it will be just saddening.

mahomes work your butt off, its up to you to overcome your organizations poor decisions now bud, good luck.

i really hope im wrong.

this is also makes my opinion of what to do this off season different. I have no hope in spags being successful even with great talent. Lets load up the offense and hope mahomses can win games by himself.

i reserve the right to change my mind when im not so upset.

1 minute ago, SEMO said:

I don’t like it.  Hope it works out.  Hard to believe anyone could be worse than sideshow bob was.

I'm with you.  I don't love it, but I don't hate it.  This is an unimaginative, safe hire, one that was fully expected of Reid.  I hope it does work out, and I'm not complaining at all, but it's also a move that's pretty unexciting.  The primary issue I have is that considering Andy's past history and the fact that they've worked together before, this defense could be a big pile of shit, and I think Spags would have 7 years of job security blanketed by press conferences where Andy says "I've got to do better".  I'll keep an open mind, I was just quietly hoping we would go a different direction. 

8 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Chiefs just make it so hard on the fans and themselves.

way to remove enthusiasm for next season so quickly chiefs, when this hire eats away the cheap years of mahomes contract with the same defensive incompetence we have all come to know it will be just saddening.

mahomes work your butt off, its up to you to overcome your organizations poor decisions now bud, good luck.

i really hope im wrong.

this is also makes my opinion of what to do this off season different. I have no hope in spags being successful even with great talent. Lets load up the offense and hope mahomses can win games by himself.

i reserve the right to change my mind when im not so upset.

Speak for yourself. Im fuckin stoked!

36 minutes ago, kcchief4lif said:

Was breaking news on the station.  Looking over the interwebs hadn't found anything.

But sounds like it's a done deal.

Breaking: Chiefs hiring Steve Spagnuolo as defensive coordinator, per report

The Kansas City Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, according to a report from NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

More to come.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24/18196538/breaking-chiefs-hiring-steve-spagnuolo-as-defensive-coordinator-per-report?fbclid=IwAR2CZud8yU20ayTTj_65lg69gBj_vLNyvvYyWnJLgAa_r1L1wVhkESOx9zE

So apparently they're switching to a 4-3?

Lets understand that some of the best DCs are employed. They are not looking for a lateral move. Some good guys got hired while KC was in play off mode. Nobody is a sure bet.  There is a reason they are unemployed. With all the bs around Sutton most would agree anybody could have done better.

I trust the KC brain trust on this. Window is open now. I  think Reid knows this could be his last chance. I support this hire.

I'm good with this hire and excited to see Chiefs run the NASCAR formation!  

I read today that the Browns, Broncos and few other teams had interest in Spags earlier this month....I'm wondering if Andy gave him the heads up!

Just now, Balto said:

I'm good with this hire and excited to see Chiefs run the NASCAR formation!  

I read today that the Browns, Broncos and few other teams had interest in Spags earlier this month....I'm wondering if Andy gave him the heads up!

His 31 & 32 ranked last 2 defenses is why he's available. We just got rid of same.

Archived