810 just reported Spags is hired.

29 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I would like to hear why.  Seriously.  Sell me on this.

Because he attacks. We may not have a top 10 defense, but god dammit defense is gonna be fun to watch again. He learned from Jimmy Johnson. The name of the game is hit the QB. 

Weve spent the last 6 yrs watching a defense that lets the offense dictate the terms. That time is done. We have a coordinator who will take the fight to the offense.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

His 31 & 32 ranked last 2 defenses is why he's available. We just got rid of same.

2015:  1st year back as DC

#32 in Yards given up

#30 in Points given up

2016:  2nd year back as DC

#10 in Yards given up

#2 in Points given up

2017:  Interim HC job

#31 in Yards given up

#27 in Points given up

Shows me he took a year to get his D put into place and it showed year 2.  Then stuff hit the fan and was Interim HC....

21 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

His 31 & 32 ranked last 2 defenses is why he's available. We just got rid of same.

We got rid of the same? I rather be aggressive and see first with Spags. Sutton even when 3rd and long was not on three straight plays let alone drives. Can it get any worse watching that crap?

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

We got rid of the same? I rather be aggressive and see first with Spags. Sutton even whe 3rd and long said not on three straight plays let alone drives. Can it get any worse watching that crap?

AZChief forgot to leave off the year between those 31 and 32 years hahaha.  Guess anyone can type up anything and have it look the way they want.

5 minutes ago, Balto said:

AZChief forgot to leave off the year between those 31 and 32 years hahaha.  Guess anyone can type up anything and have it look the way they want.

Here I forgot something else

In 2012, the Saints allowed the most yards for a season of any defense in NFL history en route to finishing 7–9 and missing the playoffs for the first time in four years. Soon after Payton's suspension ended, Spagnuolo was fired on January 24, 2013.[

1 minute ago, azchief21 said:

Here I forgot something else

In 2012, the Saints allowed the most yards for a season of any defense in NFL history en route to finishing 7–9 and missing the playoffs for the first time in four years. Soon after Payton's suspension ended, Spagnuolo was fired on January 24, 2013.[

You do realize that was after the whole fiasco with Saints and NFL in bounty gate etc? I mean he was thrown to the wolves. Thank God he is not being hired as an interim HC as both tunes the defense suffered for it. 

I wasn’t enthusiastic about Andy Reid being hired. I am not enthusiastic about this hire. But no one honestly knows how this turns out. We don’t have a bad Eli Manning QB with no RB offense like the Giants had. 

I would frankly welcome a switch to a 4-3. I think relying on a NT to dominate isn’t very realistic in today’s NFL. Get another body on the line so the linemen naturally clog more holes at the line of scrimmage. Tired of watching LBs 5 yard back getting blocked at the second level.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Man i just can’t get excited. He has sucked at coordinating every year except one. That year he had strahan, osi, and justin tuck in their primes. Im sorry that just doesn’t impress me

I apologize for droning on here but this is my long take on him. 

He worked under the great Jim Johnson in Philly (one of the best coordinators in NFL history who has a great coaching tree) and took his first DC job in NY where he had two great seasons including perhaps the best game plan in Super Bowl history to take down the Patriots.  That’s why he got the head coaching gig in St Louis and we’ve seen many coordinators go through some real struggles around such failed ventures. He went to New Orleans right after that as a favor to Sean Peyton and inherited a defense that wasn’t a fit and he couldn’t control. The Saints were a mess that year and you can write that off completely in my opinion.

He then had a few years on the Ravens staff before getting another run in NY where he inherited a huge mess that didn’t improve his first year   But his second year in NY he turns this bottom feeder group into the number TWO defense in the NFL!  That entire team imploded the next year and he ended up having to coach the whole team the last six weeks  I’m sorry I just again don’t see that as tenable for anyone.

And that brings us to now   So to me he’s had 4 years as a coordinator where his head coach wasn’t fired or suspended leaving him with way more than just the defense to worry about.   And in those 4 seasons as only a DC, he’s had 3 highly successful defenses   He’s been DC for six playoff games and given up more than 23 points once. This is the way I looked at it long before we ever hired him.  He’s no guru but he brings a fun attacking system and has a proven ability to develop defensive lines especially.  If he or Andy are smart here he will bring in a few young innovative guys with him.  But this is very much in question.    

Maybe I’m way off but I always thought this was a really good fit  

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

All we need is average, I hope spag can do that then I'm happy.

Yep. And with our offense it’s not realistic to ever have a defense that’s any better than average statistically. But we can change styles and hopefully get more possessions for our offense even if it means giving up more big plays. 

17 minutes ago, AppalachianChief said:

The “Doom and Gloomers” are out in full bloom!! All I got to say is all of you bitching and moaning about Sutton you got your wish he is gone, now here is your warm glass of shut the Hell up and at least let the guy field a defense before you crown him Sutton 2.0!! Sheeezz!!

Well Timed Post....

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I apologize for droning on here but this is my long take on him. 

He worked under the great Jim Johnson in Philly (one of the best coordinators in NFL history who has a great coaching tree) and took his first DC job in NY where he had two great seasons including perhaps the best game plan in Super Bowl history to take down the Patriots.  That’s why he got the head coaching gig in St Louis and we’ve seen many coordinators go through some real struggles around such failed ventures. He went to New Orleans right after that as a favor to Sean Peyton and inherited a defense that wasn’t a fit and he couldn’t control. The Saints were a mess that year and you can write that off completely in my opinion.

He then had a few years on the Ravens staff before getting another run in NY where he inherited a huge mess that didn’t improve his first year   But his second year in NY he turns this bottom feeder group into the number TWO defense in the NFL!  That entire team imploded the next year and he ended up having to coach the whole team the last six weeks  I’m sorry I just again don’t see that as tenable for anyone.

And that brings us to now   So to me he’s had 4 years as a coordinator where his head coach wasn’t fired or suspended leaving him with way more than just the defense to worry about.   And in those 4 seasons as only a DC, he’s had 3 highly successful defenses   He’s been DC for six playoff games and given up more than 23 points once. This is the way I looked at it long before we ever hired him.  He’s no guru but he brings a fun attacking system and has a proven ability to develop defensive lines especially.  If he or Andy are smart here he will bring in a few young innovative guys with him.  But this is very much in question.    

Maybe I’m way off but I always thought this was a really good fit  

Well thought out and written thank you, i disagree but I understand how you have reached your point of view.

Another fear of mine is they hired a 4-3 guy to justify the breelund speaks and to a lesser extent the tanah pick. To me those picks need to be written off as failures and try to trade them for mid to late round picks.

speaks may have a chance but he needs to drop 30 pounds. He needed to drop 10 at draft time but put on 20 instead. I don’t know if the coaching staff made him gain weight or he just let himself go, but it is clearly not good for him

4 hours ago, Balto said:

I’ve got zero problem with people who question this move because his overall body of work does include very uneven efforts. But I do agree in most cases failure to evaluate the circumstances behind each could create a shortsighted negative overreaction. 

This guy has proven he can game plan against elite coaches and QBs at crucial times. He’s proven twice he can get radical improvement from his defenses. And yes he’s also proven to have a lot of trouble minus personnel to run his scheme which does sound familiar.  

47 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I’ve got zero problem with people who question this move because his overall body of work does include very uneven efforts. But I do agree in most cases failure to evaluate the circumstances behind each could create a shortsighted negative overreaction. 

This guy has proven he can game plan against elite coaches and QBs at crucial times. He’s proven twice he can get radical improvement from his defenses. And yes he’s also proven to have a lot of trouble minus personnel to run his scheme which does sound familiar.  

He had a great season that led to his hiring as a head coach in around 2008 (let's not disregard the talent that team had especially up front). In the last 11 years or so the teams he's been associated with have been defensive disasters aside from the #10 D at NY a few years ago. In that same 11 years Sutton had a couple of #7 teams. Both of their most recent seasons were #31. One got fired the other got hired. Excuse, excuses. 

I'm on the fence with the hire but some positives:

1) He's light years ahead of Sutton

2) runs an aggressive scheme(at least the chiefs d will be fun to watch. hated watching sutton drop lbs into coverage and play passive defense)

3) 4-3 scheme seems to be a better fit for our personnel.  We got gashed by the run all year

4) Maybe the year off in 2018 refreshed his thinking 

I was really pushing for someone else but we should be happy sutton is gone. Can it seriously get any worse than having Sutton back in 2019? Probably not.

We should be thankful the Chiefs made the change as some people were worried it wasn't going to happen. 

11 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Well thought out and written thank you, i disagree but I understand how you have reached your point of view.

Another fear of mine is they hired a 4-3 guy to justify the breelund speaks and to a lesser extent the tanah pick. To me those picks need to be written off as failures and try to trade them for mid to late round picks.

speaks may have a chance but he needs to drop 30 pounds. He needed to drop 10 at draft time but put on 20 instead. I don’t know if the coaching staff made him gain weight or he just let himself go, but it is clearly not good for him

Breeland Speaks needs to be written off as a failure? Seriously? Man I hope you arent a supervisor or owner at your place of employment. Your employees wouldnt even be around long enough to claim unemployment before you fired them. 

Archived