How our current personnel fit in Spags' 4-3

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about cutting Houston.  Tagging Ford and making your big FA splash KJ Wright as your SAM.       Speaks,  Nandi, Jones,  Ford      Wright, Hitchens, DOD   Berry, Watts,  Ward, Fuller,   Draft.                Would probably allow you to sign a veteran DB on a prove it deal and free up one of those first 3 picks to go BPA.     

The Seahawks are a totally different squad when he's in the line up.  I think he's staying.

I think you've got to have a veteran corner joining the team as his system is very dependent on having guys that can handle their assignment without lots of help over the top.  The issue will be availability, so I think they'll have to hope for some cuts and/or work a trade.

I think because of money there's a very real possibility that neither Ford nor Houston are here next year.  We're already transitioning the defensive scheme, so there's no better time to get away from big money that you have in current guys.  Take the comp pick for Ford.  Houston, while declining, is the one I'd rather keep of the two, if he agrees to restructure, because he's actually semi competent against the run, unlike Ford.  Regardless, if we're changing scheme now, we may as well use this time to escape the bad contracts of the past and start fresh.  Build through the draft, supplement with mid tier free agents that don't get a lot of attention but fit what you're trying to do.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

I think because of money there's a very real possibility that neither Ford nor Houston are here next year.  We're already transitioning the defensive scheme, so there's no better time to get away from big money that you have in current guys.  Take the comp pick for Ford.  Houston, while declining, is the one I'd rather keep of the two, if he agrees to restructure, because he's actually semi competent against the run, unlike Ford.  Regardless, if we're changing scheme now, we may as well use this time to escape the bad contracts of the past and start fresh.  Build through the draft, supplement with mid tier free agents that don't get a lot of attention but fit what you're trying to do.  

Edge rushers are worth gold in the NFL.  Even one dimensional ones. They would be able to do better than a maybe 3rd round comp a year later.  Tag and trade.

And I don't think the Chiefs are going to try to slowly transition around.  The only reason the Chiefs stuck with a 3 man front for so long was because even Andy knew changing it all up at that time would have been totally stupid.

This is all one big revolving attempt for him to try and replace Jim Johnson, instead of trying to actually go against the grain and will stay in his comfort zone till the bitter end.  He went as far as to turn his Offensive Line coach into a Defensive Coordinator in order to avoid change lol

Andy tried to hire Spags back in 2012, but he took the Saints job.  He would of done it again in 2013, but he doesn't do anything involving a 3-4.  In result, Andy grabbed someone that had experience from his inner circle to do it.

17 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Edge rushers are worth gold in the NFL.  Even one dimensional ones. They would be able to do better than a maybe 3rd round comp a year later.  Tag and trade.

And I don't think the Chiefs are going to try to slowly transition around.  The only reason the Chiefs stuck with a 3 man front for so long was because even Andy knew changing it all up at that time would have been totally stupid.

This is all one big revolving attempt for him to try and replace Jim Johnson, instead of trying to actually go against the grain and will stay in his comfort zone till the bitter end.  He went as far as to turn his Offensive Line coach into a Defensive Coordinator in order to avoid change lol

Andy tried to hire Spags back in 2012, but he took the Saints job.  He would of done it again in 2013, but he doesn't do anything involving a 3-4.  In result, Andy grabbed someone that had experience from his inner circle to do it.

They can't tag and trade, because teams know he's not in the long term plans because of money.  If they tag him, they're stuck with him, because teams will just wait until he's a free agent. If they did get a trade partner, a deal would be contingent on him signing an extension, and the asking price isn't going to be any better than what a comp pick would give, imo, because teams know that due to money they chiefs can't sign him long term or keep franchising him.  We have way too much money in our underperforming linebackers to keep Houston at his contract and franchise Ford.  We have to get out of these bad contracts.

2 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

The Seahawks are a totally different squad when he's in the line up.  I think he's staying.

I think you've got to have a veteran corner joining the team as his system is very dependent on having guys that can handle their assignment without lots of help over the top.  The issue will be availability, so I think they'll have to hope for some cuts and/or work a trade.

At 30 he won't have another shot at a big deal so I think he tests the market. Something in the range of 30 over 4 years will probably get it done. 

Regardless I think OLB became a major need for us in the short term. 

5 minutes ago, sith13 said:

At 30 he won't have another shot at a big deal so I think he tests the market. Something in the range of 30 over 4 years will probably get it done. 

Regardless I think OLB became a major need for us in the short term. 

No way you're keeping Houston for that.  

He's still on the right side of 30 and is coming off a good year.  Would have to double that.

1 minute ago, liquidfriend said:

No way you're keeping Houston for that.  

He's still on the right side of 30 and is coming off a good year.  Would have to double that.

I was referring to Wright. Wouldn't mind going a bit higher either but I think with the injuries this might get it done. 

37 minutes ago, moons314 said:

They can't tag and trade, because teams know he's not in the long term plans because of money.  If they tag him, they're stuck with him, because teams will just wait until he's a free agent. If they did get a trade partner, a deal would be contingent on him signing an extension, and the asking price isn't going to be any better than what a comp pick would give, imo, because teams know that due to money they chiefs can't sign him long term or keep franchising him.  We have way too much money in our underperforming linebackers to keep Houston at his contract and franchise Ford.  We have to get out of these bad contracts.

Yeah they can absolutely tag and trade.  The same group said nobody was trading for Alex Smith a year ago because we didn't have any leverage.

Teams need edge rushers and we would be providing one.  Supply and demand.

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Oh heck.  Yeah whoops!  I do think the Seahawks are going to be very motivated to keep him.  

That's for sure, even though they have Wagner to fix everything they can't just let their best OLB leave for nothing. However they have done it before and could possibly repeat that so we'll have to see. I think Wright would start a bidding war in March. 

Assuming we make the switch my lineup would be:

Houston -- Nnadi -- Jones -- Speaks

Wright -- Hitchens -- DOD

Assuming we don't sign Wright I would tag and trade Ford for a 1st assuming some GM is ready to pull the trigger and use that pick to find our OLB. If the tag & trade doesn't work out I think Ford would stick at DE with Houston at OLB, that would be a terrific pass rush but not sure about the run. 

DBs are already an issue as we need at least 1 new CB (more likely 2) and a Safety in the mix. A mid round DE to rotate for a year and start in 2020 becomes an immediate need and I wouldn't rule out an upgrade to Nnadi right away depending on who's available. I'm high on Niemann but wouldn't rule out some upgrade as well just like the rest of the LBs. 

4 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

So you are suggesting that hiring from Jim Johnson s coaching tree is against the grain or a bad idea? Jim Johnson’s protégés include three different Super Bowl defensive coordinators Ron Rivera, Steve Spagnuola and Sean McDermott. And Andy’s worst two hires as DC were when he strayed from Jim Johnson and his proven coaching tree.  So yeah why not go with what has worked entering the twilight of his coaching career. It’s the reason Andy Reid assistants are some of the most sought after in football right now. 

The big question is how much power does Spags have over this staff and will he or Andy do the smart thing and bring in 1 or 2 younger innovative type guys who can really relate to young guys as the Cowboys did to help Rod Marinelli in Dallas. (Hard to believe Richard was fired two years ago) 

Last thing I think we want here is just rolling Spags into Suttons spot but keeping the rest of the staff and roster mainly in tact. This may take two offseasons because I doubt they gut anything quickly when they are this close to the Super Bowl. But we do need some real changes and it’s okay if that’s overseen by a veteran who’s proven he can get it done at the highest level but certainly will need help. 

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

I completely disagree. I think a team would absolutely give up a second rounder for him on a 1 year franchise tender. After the year he had and at his age...Theyd then have the right to negotiate a new deal on their own time.

I do not see KC improving much without a complete change in both safties , at least one good corner , and a great linebacker added. Scheme will not fix lack of talent. Stuck with Berry and his contract. It is what it is. Assume he wont start and get 2 new experienced safties unless there is a sure pick at #1. Cut Sorenson & Ragland and the rest are back ups. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I completely disagree. I think a team would absolutely give up a second rounder for him on a 1 year franchise tender. After the year he had and at his age...Theyd then have the right to negotiate a new deal on their own time.

In case of a sign & trade I can see a team willing to give up a late 1st but without a deal a 2nd is more likely. Teams don't want to deal with the bidding war and picks aren't as valuable if a GM is high on a guy. 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

I do not see KC improving much without a complete change in both safties , at least one good corner , and a great linebacker added. Scheme will not fix lack of talent. Stuck with Berry and his contract. It is what it is. Assume he wont start and get 2 new experienced safties unless there is a sure pick at #1. Cut Sorenson & Ragland and the rest are back ups. 

Apparently Landon Collins LOOOOOOOVED playing for Spags. And we know the Chiefs like him due to reported interest at the deadline by multiple outlets. Hmmmm....

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Apparently Landon Collins LOOOOOOOVED playing for Spags. And we know the Chiefs like him due to reported interest at the deadline by multiple outlets. Hmmmm....

How expensive will he be though?

Archived